Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

What happened in a bucolic nursing home nestled in the California mountains starting in 2003 shocked investigators. When residents at the Kern Valley Nursing Home complained or annoyed nursing director Gwen Hughes, prosecutors say she chemically restrained them with powerful anti-psychotic drugs.

ABC World News: Deadly 'Chemical Restraints' Kill California Nursing Home Patients - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
My mom is in an assisted living center here in Peoria, AZ. She just turned 94 in Sept. We love this facility and the staff as well, they are wonderful. She thinks she is living in a luxury hotel. It would kill me to think that someone drugged her to keep her submissive. If these charges are true, then that director needs to go to jail for a long time.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
The problem is that if you use mechanical restraints, it's a big rigamarole and inquisition and really a big deal. Even in the case of patient safety.
So chemical ones are preferred. I'm not surprised at these outcomes.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The problem is that if you use mechanical restraints, it's a big rigamarole and inquisition and really a big deal. Even in the case of patient safety.
So chemical ones are preferred. I'm not surprised at these outcomes.
And murder is not a big deal? I understand the use of drugging a person....it's so much easier than training people who are paid minimum wage and treated like lowly trash - these are the people who take care of our elders.

But "chemical restraints", aka murder, for glaring at a nursing home administrator or throwing a carton of milk? The drugs used were very powerful anti-psychotics - not anti-anxiety drugs. The drugs used are meant to put people into a sort of coma.

Nor are these drugs are not administered by a doctor who is familiar with the medical history of a patient; they are administered for the sole purpose of what will ultimately harm a patient, who more than likely is on several other powerful meds.

Basically, we care so little for our elders, that people find this behaviour common and understandable.

I agree, that lady needs to go to jail for a very long time, if not the rest of her life, if this is true.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
This has been going on for years at certain nursing homes.

My dad complained about it when he went to visit his sister in a nursing home about 50 years ago.

She was never married and had no kids and few visitors.
Her mind was sharp and Dad made the long drive about once a month to visit her.

He was told to wait before visiting her and they would get her up.

When he did visit her, she was dosing off and didn't recognize him as one of the workers gently slapped her face to get her attentive.

My dad was furious and accused the nusrsing home of drugging the patients that they thought wouldn't be getting visitors that Sunday to make their workload easier with a smaller crew.

He had never observed that before, and after his complaint, never observed that again when he made unexpected visits.

I was not one bit surprised when I saw this on tv.

I believe ( and hope) that the use of drugs isn't being done to utilize a smaller staff.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
And murder is not a big deal? I understand the use of drugging a person....it's so much easier than training people who are paid minimum wage and treated like lowly trash - these are the people who take care of our elders.

Basically, we care so little for our elders, that people find this behaviour common and understandable.

I agree, that lady needs to go to jail for a very long time, if not the rest of her life, if this is true.
Before you get your knickers in a bunch, understand that I am against medication for restraints vs mechanical ones. And I think everyone is against nursing home abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement