Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Yep - that's what we need - a bunch of kids with guns.
That's right. They're the good kids.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is hard, lol. At least, sometimes it is hard for me (even though it may not be for others).
Difficult for me, too. I just remind myself: "Never fight with a pig. You both get muddy, but the pig likes it."

Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Difficult for me, too. I just remind myself: "Never fight with a pig. You both get muddy, but the pig likes it."

Good point, ODDSTRAY.

I think the times I get the most aggravated are when someone quotes my post then goes off on what I have said - only they are on a tangent (usually some personal agenda of their own) and deliberately mischaracterize what I wrote - then lectures me about how "wrong" I am. First of all, if I am giving an opinion, how is my opinion any more "wrong or right" than someone else's? It's an opinion and we all have them, lololol.

However, I have successfully ignored one poster who repeatedly quoted from my posts yesterday and tried to bait me by mischaracterizing what I wrote - and then tried to "shame and mock" me with her editorial comments about my thoughts. I thought - why bother - she is just on a tear - probably in a manic phase and needs someone to beat up on so she can feel good about herself.

So I am trying. But sometimes, it ain't easy.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yep - that's what we need - a bunch of kids with guns.
Where I live, that is what we already have -- a bunch of thugs under 21 (and typically, involved in drugs and either in gangs or "wanna-be" gangsters) -- and the majority of crime is committed by these repeat offenders. Why they keep getting back on the streets is beyond me.

I woke up to news this morning about one of these thugs -- who is armed and was on the loose for days -- a manhunt was out for him. Violent crime, but a rap sheet that goes back to pre-teen days (but is sealed b/c he was a juvvie). The kid is not even 20 years old!

So the offenders already have guns. All the gun control known to man won't get their guns away from them nor will it prevent them from getting more.

It is the citizenry who is left without protection when we enact measured gun control. The rest of us live like civilzed people - we don't carry our guns everywhere we go - but then we run into one of these thugs (or they break into our homes) and who has the advantage?

I wish there were an easy solution but as long as we have a portion of society that embraces drug culture and the gangster lifestyle . . . the rest of us are at risk. I don't know what to do and don't know the answer.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Now & then I think "OK what would you do if someone broke in while you were here or were already here when you got home????"

Unfortunately I must think this would never happen to me but it could. I really would hate to have to carry a gun but have started thinking about having one or two in my home.

HIW got his gun at a young age during a much different time - when all these young thugs weren't roaming about.

Times are getting more violent. I will leave on a long road trip soon and I find myself thinking more about safety - something I really didn't think much about on my last 2 road trips. I just got in my car and took off.

I'll stop here before I scare the H out of myself.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Yep, the bad guys get them easy but the good guys have to jump through all the hoops. Not that a background check is a bad idea, but tougher gun laws only make it tough on the good guys, not the criminal black market.

Cool story HIW!!!!!!!!

My dad had a little .25 caliber that would fit in a vest pocket.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Now & then I think "OK what would you do if someone broke in while you were here or were already here when you got home????"

Unfortunately I must think this would never happen to me but it could. I really would hate to have to carry a gun but have started thinking about having one or two in my home.

HIW got his gun at a young age during a much different time - when all these young thugs weren't roaming about.

Times are getting more violent. I will leave on a long road trip soon and I find myself thinking more about safety - something I really didn't think much about on my last 2 road trips. I just got in my car and took off.

I understand your thoughts about a trip. Same for me. Used to get up about 4 am and drive to NC from KCMO in one day! That trip usually takes about 14 hours! I would stop at dark gas stations. I did have one encounter but nothing happened (just scared me).

Haven't done that in over 10 years, though (making the trip in one day). I honestly think staying in a motel overnight is even scarier! Arrrggghhh.

A dear friend does a lot of driving back and forth from her home to Charlotte (she is in VA) and she got a concealed carry permit and keeps her firearm with her while driving. I am thinking that is what I should do, as well.

I guess it is a matter of - better safe than sorry.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:

A can of wasp spray works nicely. Shoots a stream about 20-25 feet.
I carry it in my truck and camper

Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Quote:
I understand your thoughts about a trip. Same for me. Used to get up about 4 am and drive to NC from KCMO in one day! That trip usually takes about 14 hours! I would stop at dark gas stations. I did have one encounter but nothing happened (just scared me).

Haven't done that in over 10 years, though (making the trip in one day). I honestly think staying in a motel overnight is even scarier! Arrrggghhh.

A dear friend does a lot of driving back and forth from her home to Charlotte (she is in VA) and she got a concealed carry permit and keeps her firearm with her while driving. I am thinking that is what I should do, as well.

I take my two dogs with me on road trips

Old 02-21-2014, 04:17 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:

YES! When I drove to FL it was the perfect time of year when there were many people/families heading south so the rest areas were packed. I feel the same way about motels - I slept in the rest stops with all the other people and my final night I was parked right next to a highway patrol Coming back the rest stops were empty - spooky so I had to hit the motels - yuk- I slept in my clothes.

Staying at a motel means removing everything from your car that you don't want stolen or that you don't want thugs busting your window trying to get in. This trip - I don't think I'm going to be as lucky with the rest stops.

Alright then~~~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement