Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! They really do have nine lives and they always come back if they can. The little scamps will not tell you where they were and what they did. We just have to be glad that they finally came back.
Responsible people keep their cats inside. But given that she doesn't care who gets her brother's dogs (she just wants them gone), I doubt that she''ll change her behavior.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Happy, if this was meant for me, I DO care about the dogs, which is why they keep coming over here. I used to live with my brother before the back operation and the dogs love me as much as I love them. I think I'm the only person who really pets and praises the outdoor dog. I want her to have a good home where she is petted and loved. I can't do it a lot because she is so big, golden lab and some other mix. She wants to jump on me and I can't allow that as it might hurt my back. I do pet her as much as I can but I can't bend so can only pet what I can reach. It breaks my heart when she leans into me and she has stopped jumping one me. She is not dumb, only needs a ton of love.

As for my cat. He was a barn cat but was my brother's cats offspring. So again, I gave all the kittens love and after the surgery, my brother brought them over to be barn cats. Mine jumped into my arms one day and would not let go, so I begged my sister to let me have him inside. We are out in the country, 11 miles from town and the driveway is a quarter mile from the house. To not let him go outside would be torture for him.

If there is anything else you'd like me to explain or correct, please feel free to let me know.

I forgot to say that the Dr. said if I ever fell it would probably be the end of my back. As it is I have to walk with a cane. I really don't want to be in a wheelchair. Hence I can't let the big dog jump on me.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Happy, if this was meant for me, I DO care about the dogs, which is why they keep coming over here. I used to live with my brother before the back operation and the dogs love me as much as I love them. I think I'm the only person who really pets and praises the outdoor dog. I want her to have a good home where she is petted and loved. I can't do it a lot because she is so big, golden lab and some other mix. She wants to jump on me and I can't allow that as it might hurt my back. I do pet her as much as I can but I can't bend so can only pet what I can reach. It breaks my heart when she leans into me and she has stopped jumping one me. She is not dumb, only needs a ton of love.

As for my cat. He was a barn cat but was my brother's cats offspring. So again, I gave all the kittens love and after the surgery, my brother brought them over to be barn cats. Mine jumped into my arms one day and would not let go, so I begged my sister to let me have him inside. We are out in the country, 11 miles from town and the driveway is a quarter mile from the house. To not let him go outside would be torture for him.

If there is anything else you'd like me to explain or correct, please feel free to let me know.

I forgot to say that the Dr. said if I ever fell it would probably be the end of my back. As it is I have to walk with a cane. I really don't want to be in a wheelchair. Hence I can't let the big dog jump on me.
If I've misjudged you, I apologize. There are three hundred million or more cats born just in this country every year. Only a tiny percentage survive. The average lifespan for an indoor cat is fourteen years, for an outdoor cat it's three years. Please keep him inside. There are predatory birds, coyotes, other large predators, and evil people. I never see a cat outside where I live because of predators. Please be aware that the Great Horned Owl lives in all of the lower forty-eight states as well as southern Canada. They commonly seize small dogs and cats. It will not be torture for him to stay inside, but it could be death to go outside. I had a full screen cover placed over my fence so that my cat could go into the yard. My formal feral cat, however, hasn't the least interest in using it. I've had other cats who loved this type of arrangeement; I've been using it for years.

I had to euthanize a rabbit who had obviously been dropped by a bird. Apart from the fall, his condition was indescribable. I know that it's nature, but we need to protect the ones around us. I've always thought of them as family members.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:06 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
To not let him go outside would be torture for him.
meo, you're anthropomorphizing.
That isn't "torture" for a cat.
(It may be "torture" to their human, who has to listen to them yowl until they understand "No" and "Shut up".)

I live in the country also. My cat has never been outside, except in a carry cage. Not once.
Coyotes, hawks, owls, possums ... all have teeth or talons and are hungry for cat.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Default Response

I got you. And you're right. He has to learn to stay inside because when I move it will be to an apartment and he will have to stay inside. Gandalara, I don't know the word you used - anthropomorphzing. Can you explain?

Happy, I apologize also. It was torture for me when the kittens were made into barn cats and then one had kittens and once they were old enough she brought them right to my door. Animals sense my love for them I think. Anyway, the kittens were to be barn cats after they started eating cat food. I just fell in love with both of them and when they had to go to the barn I had to carry them there. They kept coming back so my sister closed up all the holes they could get out of and they were locked inside. I had placed the kitten tower and other toys they played with in the barn so they had their stuff but it was still hard for me.

As for the dog, she is just too big and does not like the inside. Wouldn't even come in during an ice storm, so I had to yell at her to go home because her doghouse is a calf house where she is protected from the elements. And yes, it hurt me to do that.

My nephew came back to live with my brother and he hates dogs. I cannot prove anything but, she never cringed when I lived there. She was just a sweet, over-active puppy. My guess is that he's the one who has harmed or yelled at her. As I said, I can't prove it but I really want her out of there before she loses that loving feeling she has for humans. She is so sweet, but big. Comes to my knees, which is good because I can pet her head at least.
I should add that I have always gotten my animals from a shelter and usually picked the oldest ones so they would have a loving home for as long as they lasted. Actually they picked me. One in particular would not even let me go near the kittens or any other cat. He was so big and the shelter was very happy to give him to me. When I got him home he wouldn't let me pet him. It took a long time before he trusted me. when he finally did, what a great cat he was. When I was sick he laid right by me and wouldn't move until I did. wonderful cat.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-19-2014 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Anthropomorphizing - When you talk about a thing or animal as if it were human, or has human attributes.

I anthropomorphize my truck - I named him Tonto

Old 12-19-2014, 04:01 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
meo, I can't rep you but bless you for being a fur mommy.

Opinons are like diapers, BTW. We do the best we can by our furkids and only we know our and their situation.

We thought we might be at the hospital ER for DH on Thursday and my moms BF wrote me a stupid email that I should 'downsize my responsibilities' in anticipation of life in the future.

O, sure, I'll ship him the the home now, have the all kill shelter pick up my cats, and have the horses dropped off at the livestock auction so they can go to Canada to become dog food. Think how wonderful and carefree life will be without all that effort and time I 'waste' on their care. Alone.

I was so infuriated I didn't dare reply to his email. It took a lot of soul searching.

I hope my mom is ready to be dumped when she is no longer viable arm candy for trips to the theatre and opera. Yep, need a new gasket or ball jpint? Don't bother, go directly to the dealer and trade up.

Sorry, moron, (email guy, not you) but around here we don't cut and run when the chips are down. But I will be sure to when his start falling.

HiW, it mught be a good thing that I don't carry........

Old 12-19-2014, 04:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Thank you, Gand, my truck is Goddess Melanie Cassandra. (Good guess, yep, it's a GMC)

How did you know your truck was a boy? I didn't see anything hanging below the rear bumper on mine........

Old 12-19-2014, 04:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
meo92953, while I don't think you should have to apologize for letting your cat out, it is true that these days most cats are kept indoors. There is rabies, for one thing, and predatory animals of all kinds, as you know.

When you get a cat from a shelter they make you promise to keep it inside at all times. I thought this was cruel at first but really it is an act of love. You are saving the cat's life! My last cat lived a very long life--inside. Before that they were getting run over or bitten by other animals in the middle of the night.

Especially if you are going to be living in an apartment, you are doing a kindness to the cat to teach him to stay inside. (Not that he'll ever really learn, LOL.) Once they've been outdoor cats they'll always race for the open door.

Get a litter box and show him how to use it. Really, all cats need is food, sleep (preferably in a sunny place) and the bonus would be a lot of love, which you can easily provide, of course.

Anthropomorphizing means that you are thinking the animal is a person. A cat is an animal that does have feelings and needs but not human feelings and needs.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
How did you know your truck was a boy? I didn't see anything hanging below the rear bumper on mine........

(The truck is silver, my friends kept saying "Hi Ho Silver Away", because I was taking so many trips. So I went with Tonto just to be perverse, er, different )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement