Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 06:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've noticed that on Facebook my older (55+) male friends usually post a recent photo as their "avatar" or "profile picture" but the females often post a picture of a flower or their pet cat or a really vintage picture of their high school graduation.

Please tell me the ladies are not that vain.

We guys can be vain too. I suppose I posted that particular photo on my profile page because it was enlarged from a small thumbnail and the fine details like my puffy eyes or forehead lines are blurred. So it does make me look a little younger than I am.

I'm with Oprah Winfrey on this one. Let's embrace our age. As we get older our attractiveness changes but doesn't disappear. We are survivors. Old age is a privilege not afforded to everyone.
I think they are more cautious then men.

At work my avatar was a cute pig with lipstick wearing a big pearl necklace and a straw bonnet
And every time mgmt approached me about that picture I pointed out that HR guidelines did NOT require a real picture.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
What makes you think it's vanity? Women on social media are often more cautious than men about posting current or identifiable pictures of themselves on social media, due to safety concerns.
Do you make your C-D profile and photo available for everyone, or just for friends?

FB profile pics are always public and there's no way to make them private. There's legitimate concern about identity theft. Ever watch the TV show "Catfish"? Anyone with a FB account can capture anyone else's profile pic and name and use it to scam someone.
In my several years on FB I never have and never will posted an identifiable profile pic ...
Good points!

I hadn't thought of that.

In fact my pic here in C-D is available only to my C-D "friends."

The great irony to me is that when I went to my 40 year High School reunion two years ago, the women generally looked younger and in better shape than the guys!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Good points!

I hadn't thought of that.

In fact my pic here in C-D is available only to my C-D "friends."

The great irony to me is that when I went to my 40 year High School reunion two years ago, the women generally looked younger and in better shape than the guys!
I sent a friend request. Guess you don't want to be my friend.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:14 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
What makes you think it's vanity? Women on social media are often more cautious than men about posting current or identifiable pictures of themselves on social media, due to safety concerns.
Do you make your C-D profile and photo available for everyone, or just for friends?

FB profile pics are always public and there's no way to make them private. There's legitimate concern about identity theft. Ever watch the TV show "Catfish"? Anyone with a FB account can capture anyone else's profile pic and name and use it to scam someone.
In my several years on FB I never have and never will posted an identifiable profile pic. In my current profile pic, I'm obscuring my face with a Carnival mask. I do share current clear photos on my timeline because I can mark them "Friends Only". But no stranger needs to see me or be able to download a photo of me.
Since my wife still works she has a picture of our dogs as her profile picture. I had a cousin-in-law delete me and block me. I must be moving up in the world.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I sent a friend request. Guess you don't want to be my friend.
I DID accept it, and you're on my list of friends! Let's sort this out. Your posts are delightful and BTW I was born in NYC.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:42 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
I DID accept it, and you're on my list of friends! Let's sort this out. Your posts are delightful and BTW I was born in NYC.

Thanks Clark Park, nice picture!!

Old 01-10-2016, 03:44 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:

See what you started???? Everybody wants to be your friend now just to see that mug of yours.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
See what you started???? Everybody wants to be your friend now just to see that mug of yours.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I was born in NYC too. Grew up in Washington Heights.
Then moved to the Bronx and Queens and then took off for parts south.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Brrr- we're at -5 now & it looks like it's going to last all week long. May get up to +9 tomorrow but that's a big maybe. This is why we keep our freezers full while we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement