Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 10:35 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have a programmable thermostat and love it.
It has 4 settings for weekday and 4 settings for weekends and a "Home Today" override.
You can program the time and temp for each of the 4.

That is exactly what I want. It'll be my next 'home improvement' purchase.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
[quote=PhxBarb;42137900]I, too, have considered getting away from CD. The last insult was when I said on another forum that I probably would never consider eating squirrel (which others are doing in AR),and I was told I was close minded and snotty. I reported that person and it was taken down.

But still, when the learning opportunities are far less than the smacks, I keep thinking maybe I should give up. Yesterday someone told me I should be using "an" in front of RM (reverse mortgage) rather than"a ". LOL Who cares????????[/quote]

I couldn't eat squirrel either. I have friends, from Missouri, that do.

I agree. Who cares? It's a petty thing that I can over look any time.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:12 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,666,056 times
probably doesn't make much difference to most, but I don't think the squirrel I ate as a child were the little grey ones I see in my yard. I don't think there is enough meat on them to make them worth dressing.

At my old place, I had a big red fox squirrel. I think that's the kind we ate.

please don't anyone leave. If you leave, they win.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:20 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
From the recently closed thread...

You (and I) may be in the minority, but this is one of the few issues here where we're on the same side. I wholeheartedly agree with you that senior issues and retirement issues should be separated and I don't understand why the PTB won't even consider it. In the Automotive section, they created 20 separate brand-specific sub-forums, plus an additional sub-forum for retired brands and one for car insurance. Ironically no one wanted separate forums there and most of the new sub-forums are rarely utilized, garnering but a few posts a week or even a month. The vast majority of posters just use the older generalized Automotive Forum to post about all things automotive (as it should be).

I'd love to be able to click on the Retirement Forum and read and comment on retirement-specific issues without having to wade through all of the "senior issue" threads such as getting your kids to visit you at Christmas, gift ideas for seniors, playgrounds for seniors, home remedies for seniors, sibling rivalry later in life, seniors drinking alcohol, seniors who develop allergies, seniors who ride motor bikes, etc., etc., etc.
see, you made me change my mind. Maybe we should have sub-forums. You explained it well.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:33 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
WOW, I just saw the (Men and) Single Women Retiring to a New State thread was closed! I am so upset. I have been following that thread since 2007 and have made many friends there. I have been following people's adventures and listening as they weighed the pro's and con's of various retirement destination options. Yes, we went off-topic now and then, and it lost a little bit of its luster once someone made a big deal about men being included....but it always came back. It was the first thing I checked when I logged on. Should we start a new one?
I agree....I think there's a distinction, if even a mild one, between a thread going off topic and "evolving". Especially with a sticky....the discussion is bound to take twists and turns. But no worries for me...it will encourage me to peruse other threads, and that's gotta be a good thing!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I agree....I think there's a distinction, if even a mild one, between a thread going off topic and "evolving". Especially with a sticky....the discussion is bound to take twists and turns. But no worries for me...it will encourage me to peruse other threads, and that's gotta be a good thing!
I am thinking the same thing, take the focus off the retirement thread. It seems I can't say something that I believe or experienced without it being judged and shredded. Who are these intellectuals, anyway?

But on the other hand, I went into a thread for pets to ask a simple question and got pretty beat up there.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times

There is a mass shooting in San Bernardino, CA today (Wednesday 12/2). If you can, turn on your news.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

There is a mass shooting in San Bernardino, CA today (Wednesday 12/2). If you can, turn on your news.

yea - another one

Old 12-02-2015, 03:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I, too, have considered getting away from CD. The last insult was when I said on another forum that I probably would never consider eating squirrel (which others are doing in AR),and I was told I was close minded and snotty. I reported that person and it was taken down.

But still, when the learning opportunities are far less than the smacks, I keep thinking maybe I should give up. Yesterday someone told me I should be using "an" in front of RM (reverse mortgage) rather than"a ". LOL Who cares????????
Wouldn't it be cool to have a virtual CD-Retirement living facility in which we were all inmates? What fun to meet up at mealtimes and activities and carry on our animosities toward each other. I always thought some seniors live forever because they're so argumentative, lol.

Now what's wrong with eating roadkill??

Old 12-02-2015, 03:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You (and I) may be in the minority, but this is one of the few issues here where we're on the same side.
I lied; am replying with more of my opinion...

There are those who retire at a young age such as from the military, from windfalls, from great business planning. In seeking retirement discussion, why would they wade through a bunch of disparate threads by old geezers?

By the same token, why would it be taken for granted that being a "senior"—defined by? over age age 55?—is necessarily retired? For ex, many of us still work, though not in our former career. Just because we're still working in some capacity (electively or not) is cause for a WWIII argument as to whether we're "retired" or not.

"Retirement" issues largely center on retirement planning financially and logistically. This to include relocation as part of planning, retirement leisure, etc. It does not necessarily have to do with aging issues.

"Senior" issues center on the many aspects of aging, such as aging in place, LTC, resources and support, trivia subjects (sorry, madman, trivia is a large part of the senior set), exercise and health/wellness, and (drum roll)...MEDICARE.

I'd like to see an outline on your proposed structure. If we're "allowed" to talk about this on Chat.

Last edited by RiverBird; 12-02-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement