Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 10:25 AM

812 posts, read 795,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
^ Thanks. If it was a condo in the mountain town I want to live that would be ok but this city I live near, I would never want to live in town. Too much drugs, shootings, gang fights, and unless you nail down your possessions they get stolen. Then they steal the nails.
Yikes! I hope that is not Montrose you are talking about. I always thought it seemed like a nice town, but it is hard to tell when just there for a trip.

Our weather is still low 90s, but next week is looking like we will get a nice break with some rain and highs right around 80. There is another tropical storm down in the pacific that is giving us that chance of rain. Of course it can change by next week, but at least there is hope!

We are finally able to have windows open in the mornings now though, which helps a lot. Pretty soon we can leave them open overnight too. I really hate having 24/7 air on like we do most of the monsoon season.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I generally check a weather website first thing each morning and today it listed both sunrise and sunset occurring at 7:14 at my latitude. Currently have 52 minutes of additional twilight but that number is dropping by more than 2 minutes a day. So it won't be long now until I'll be coping with more hours of darkness than light. We'll likely have our first frost in a few weeks and then it will be time to get the fireplace going.

Sometimes I wish I could get on a plane and move to Australia for half the year.

The good news - thunderstorm season will also come to an end and I can put away the Thundershirt that Boca wears but seems to get little help from. He'll get a good break from drooling and quivering that comes with each storm. So that's something.
Well, you could try AZ for part of the year. We are closer than Australia! Poor Boca wouldn't like our monsoon season, but that is not the time of year you would want to be here either.

Frost is sounding good to me right now. Last winter was unusually warm for here and we hardly got any frost. The bugs have been really bad this year and I think our warm winter didn't help. We usually get our first frost around the end of Oct.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Well, you could try AZ for part of the year. We are closer than Australia! Poor Boca wouldn't like our monsoon season, but that is not the time of year you would want to be here either.

Frost is sounding good to me right now. Last winter was unusually warm for here and we hardly got any frost. The bugs have been really bad this year and I think our warm winter didn't help. We usually get our first frost around the end of Oct.

The reason I said Australia is they in the southern hemisphere they are just starting to move in to spring and summer. The number of hours of daylight will be growing each day. So could just spend all my time in either spring or summer, no winter. Although I do like a little bit of early autumn, watching the leaves change. It's usually very pretty here in the Blue Ridge mountains.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The reason I said Australia is they in the southern hemisphere they are just starting to move in to spring and summer. The number of hours of daylight will be growing each day. So could just spend all my time in either spring or summer, no winter. Although I do like a little bit of early autumn, watching the leaves change. It's usually very pretty here in the Blue Ridge mountains.
Oh, I see what you mean! Winter in the desert is warm, but you're right, out daylight is shorter too.

I bet the Blue Ridge mtns. are lovely in the fall! I've never been there, but I'm from MI originally, so I do miss fall colors sometimes.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:48 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
35f this morning at sunrise, had a nice long walk with the dog. Made breakfast turned on the "news", changed channels, changed channels, turned off the tv.

Listening to Moody Blues Days of Future Past album.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Another Chamber of Commerce day here; third in a row since the rain moved out. Sunshine and blue skies with no humidity; highs in the 70 and lows in the 50s. So nice to have the A/C off and the windows open. In Central Florida where we moved from, it has been in the 90s all week. Don't miss that at all.

Kind of a suspenseful week coming up for us. My wife has to have a PET scan and MRI as the cancer in her arm is back. The tests should tell us if it has spread; got our fingers crossed on that. Looks like a trip to Knoxville is in the near future for surgery. On the fun side, going to see Shakespeare in the Park presentation of Much Ado About Nothing this week. Looking forward to that.

Got a trip coming up later in October to West Virginia for a wedding of a great niece. Not thrilled about the wedding itself, but it will be a chance to visit with my sister who lives in Wisconsin; haven't seen her since the funeral for my mother back in 2015 . Hopefully the fall leaves will make it a pretty drive. We are getting the very first touches of color here on some maples, tulip poplars and dogwoods. Anther four weeks or so should get us looking real nice.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:32 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Been in the forties here. Haven't had to turn on the furnance. Going on a road trip next week. My mom's cousin is turning 90. She and my mom were more like sisters. Her oldest married to one of ex-DIL's older brothers, not a nice man. Her middle son was married to my ex-DIL,before my son married her. He was,and probably still is, known to get in trouble. (Kinda funny how things work in a small town). Her other daughter was married to an abusive man. When he was killed, she took thier kids and dropped off the face of the planet.

She's disappointed in the way they turned out. And also disappointed that none of her grandchildren wanted to run the family business. It is what it is.

My wife will be subbing the last two weeks in October.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 AM

95 Saturday and 96 Sunday with HOT howling winds. Under a flash flood watch for Tropical Storm Rosa expected to dump rain all week. MAYBE it will cool down and stay that way.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
95 Saturday and 96 Sunday with HOT howling winds. Under a flash flood watch for Tropical Storm Rosa expected to dump rain all week. MAYBE it will cool down and stay that way.

Rosa is supposed to hit us before it gets to you. In fact we had a prediction of 100% rain today and got nary a drop. I did see a video of Yuma earlier though and oh my gosh! I sure hope it doesn't do that here. Really bad winds, torrential rain fall and flooding. Looked bad. Phoenix is getting 'some' rain but no storms that I know of. Been watching the weather reports very closely and hoping it doesn't get that bad here. Maybe it'll slow waaaay down before it gets to you. The cooler weather has been really nice though. Doors and windows open and NO AC! Loving that! They are saying storm watch through 5 Am Wed. so we'll see.

Also, we have four locations people can pick up sand bags. I guess they will try to be ready for anything.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 AM

Flash Flood Watch here. So far I have nearly a half inch of rain and it is pouring this morning. This is nice. High Monday was 66f.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement