Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
It cost money but I find that their love and compassionship is well worth it.
It's very expensive where I live but they are worth every bit of it.

Back in MA I could get the dog's toenails trimmed and get him a haircut fairly cheap. Same with vet visits. Here in CT everything is really, really expensive. I think pet insurance is probably the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:02 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Husband was a barber in a former life. VOILA. Dog Groomer. Altho we have the vet techs do the nail care because no one is happy after that experience.

Everyone around us told us that the Humane Shelter has cheap fees for vet care. Something to consider.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:25 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Here's the male & female -- full siblings from the same litter. The female (gray) made it to 17. The male (20) is the one still with us.

Yes, vet bills can be expensive.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I love this picture! Pure love and acceptance.

Now if we could just get people to do that.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:44 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Here's the male & female -- full siblings from the same litter. The female (gray) made it to 17. The male (20) is the one still with us.

Yes, vet bills can be expensive.
THAT is the picture of relaxation!

Old 08-30-2018, 07:01 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
There are ways to manage costs. First, shop around for a vet that is willing to bill you if your pet has a serious, life threatening emergency. There are a few that will.

Some clinics run special days where all they do is vaccinate, spray, or neuter for a discount with no office fee.

I have ordered prefilled syringe/needle 4 or 5 way vaccinations from Foster Smith for under $10. You raise the skin on their back and slide the needle in "subdermal". Easy and cheap. Rabies shots can be done at Petco or Petsmart a la carte.

I went to grooming classes at my vocational school years ago but a Wahl grooming tool shows basic grooming skills. Trimming toenails is easy with the proper clippers. Or get a dog that does not need grooming, just a bath and toe nails done every once in awhile.

I agree that the costs are outrageous. I have had 3 to 4 dogs at a time and now have 2 who won't be around much longer and the 3rd will be my solo dog buddy.

I am going to go down to one dog, one cat, and that is it. Cats can stay alone a few days while I travel and the dog can be a travel companion or be boarded. When I work or go out they can keep each other company all day.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Does anyone know how you go about getting vaccines online and doing the shots yourself? I know rabies has to be done professionally for the certification but things like Lyme etc can be done at home.
Foster Smith sells them in pre filled syringe/needles. They are a pet pharmacy and supplier. Website, phone call, catalog mailing list.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
The rescues/shelters are already vetting prospective adopters with 7page applications and references and in home visits. And turning lots of good people down.
You're damn right and I am mad as hell. I tried to rescue 3 senior dogs through different rescues over the past few years and leArned from my own experience and from reading many articles online.

People got turned down for a variety of reasons. Here are some reasons: over 60; no fenced in yard; not previously a pet owner; can't produce 5 years of vet records on every animal owned in the last 5 years; application must be approved by landlord; income requirements; must be willing to allow unannounced home visits and take back of pet if they deem their home unacceptable for any reason; no small children allowed; pet must not be left alone all day while owner works (not kidding this was a requirement).

We rescued 3 dogs since 2006 and according to this new wave of vetting, we were not a proper home for any of them.

So my next dog will come from the local pound, a breeder, a pet store, or be found running down the road.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:38 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
You're damn right and I am mad as hell. I tried to rescue 3 senior dogs through different rescues over the past few years and leArned from my own experience and from reading many articles online.

People got turned down for a variety of reasons. Here are some reasons: over 60; no fenced in yard; not previously a pet owner; can't produce 5 years of vet records on every animal owned in the last 5 years; application must be approved by landlord; income requirements; must be willing to allow unannounced home visits and take back of pet if they deem their home unacceptable for any reason; no small children allowed; pet must not be left alone all day while owner works (not kidding this was a requirement).

We rescued 3 dogs since 2006 and according to this new wave of vetting, we were not a proper home for any of them.

So my next dog will come from the local pound, a breeder, a pet store, or be found running down the road.

Several years ago, we were interested in a cat that a local rescue had up for adoption. Started on the 3+ pages of questions that was required. When I got to the part where I had to explain what would happen to the cat when my wife and I got a divorce, I just quit on it.

Went to the local shelter and found the black cat who right now is laying on the floor by me purring like crazy. The cost was about 1/4 of that at the rescue and the vetting was a 2 or 3 minute conversation. When we were done, with a straight face, I asked the shelter lady "Don't you want to know how custody of Cassie will be handled when we get a divorce"? She looked like a deer in the headlights, until I laughed and explained the process at the rescue.

If my wife and I decide to get a divorce, after being married for 44 years next month, we will manage to work out the situation with the two cats we have.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:52 AM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post

Yup! Ive seen some really ridiculous requirements. One I saw required vet records on all animals EVER owned. That could be 30yrs. The rescue didnt care. If you couldnt or wouldnt produce them you were immediately disqualified. Then there are many shelters that believe you dont own the dog, you are only leasing it which gives them the right to take it back for no reason. And heavens forbid! You should own an intact male. Championship dog! But the shelters dont care. How dare you not neuter the dog! The nastiness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement