Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Just curious as our tribe, again like Abou Ben Adam's, continues to grow.

My wife and I have seven children between us. To date we have a combined 10 grandchildren in four different states. A few weeks ago we were informed that a confirmed #11 was on the way in one state and today, a home test points to an even dozen with a coming addition in another state.

Will this madness ever stop? Gotta start re-thinking Christmas (is coal still pretty cheap) and birthdays (remember the lollipops that came in long lines of cellophane with the "rope" handles?).

Not bad for a couple of only children, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:10 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Just curious as our tribe, again like Abou Ben Adam's, continues to grow.

My wife and I have seven children between us. To date we have a combined 10 grandchildren in four different states. A few weeks ago we were informed that a confirmed #11 was on the way in one state and today, a home test points to an even dozen with a coming addition in another state.

Will this madness ever stop? Gotta start re-thinking Christmas (is coal still pretty cheap) and birthdays (remember the lollipops that came in long lines of cellophane with the "rope" handles?).

Not bad for a couple of only children, what?
I had four kids, one now deceased, and have 8 grkids. Now I also have four great grkids. The other day I decided that one thing that MIGHT make me feel "old" is that two of my great grkids started first grade this year! Holy moley, I'm not OLD enough to have great grkids in school! LOL

No...the "madness" will never stop. lol We just keep growing and growing... One day my mom was trying to figure out how many grkids, greats and great greats she had. I made her a list. She was flabbergasted.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times
I have one daughter. I thought I was Gma to two grandkids, 18 and 16. Now there is an 9 month old and another one due in May. What is she thinking??? Even the 18 yo is shaking his head.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
We have 4 sons, ranging in age from 21 to 31, none married. All we have is one grand-puppy. We've about given up hope for grandkids.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:55 PM

419 posts, read 758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
We have 4 sons, ranging in age from 21 to 31, none married. All we have is one grand-puppy. We've about given up hope for grandkids.
I remember seeing an interview with Coretta Scott King several years before her death. She stated that she was sad that none of her four children had produced a grand child. Ironically, her oldest child Martin 111 got married later in life and had a baby girl a couple of years after her death.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile And for me

Two children 27 and 22 - neither married or in relationships; both have tons of friends. None of their friends are married either.

I think my son (22) will be married before our daughter (27).

My own parents never spoke about grandchildren. In fact, we all thought they would be mad or something. Four of us - all married - within 7 years, there were 12.

My parents were lucky enough to be involved in all their lives and on January 8th, we are honoring our late mother by going to Scottish Sunday at her church and doing a brunch afterwards. So, it will be all 24 of us there on that day.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
My husband and I are only children, we have one son who is 26. He is in a stable, long-term relationship, but I doubt they'll have kids. His girlfriend is the oldest of a very large family and looked after younger siblings and nieces and nephews and says she's had enough.

Would I like grandkids? Probably, but we live far apart enough that it'd be difficult to have regular contact.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
I'm being punished, apparently for terrible sins in some former life (couldn't be this one, I haven't sinned that much). DW is off on her bucket list trip in Asia through the holidays. I am home alone taking care of our beloved dog and doing the gift acquisition & wrapping (when I don't have the option of paying for wrapping at a store).

She has three children, eight grandchildren; I have two daughters and one grandchild. The present wrap duty is a bit much (I will cheerfully pay way more for item X if they offer wrapping services). I think this culture has gone off the deep end.

I've dutifully completed the purchase list DW left me. It took me way more run around time than I imagined (weeks). I have almost completed the wrapping chore and seriously wonder about this whole business.

When I was a munchkin, you got one present --- a simple pocket knife or cap gun was a biggie (I'm a guy, dolls worked as well for the other gender). Our culture, at least in my opinion, is basically nuts. I've been running around tracking down DVD's, electronic whatnots, whatever. The kids are being inundated with, in my opinion, junk.

Anyhow, thats my personal rant, please accept my apology for venting --- may you and your tribe be safe and enjoy the holidays.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 12-22-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
I'm being punished, apparently for terrible sins in some former life (couldn't be this one, I haven't sinned that much). DW is off on her bucket list trip in Asia through the holidays. I am home alone taking care of our beloved dog and doing the gift acquisition & wrapping (when I don't have the option of paying for wrapping at a store).

She has three children, eight grandchildren; I have two daughters and one grandchild. The present wrap duty is a bit much (I will cheerfully pay way more for item X if they offer wrapping services). I think this culture has gone off the deep end.

I've dutifully completed the purchase list DW left me. It took me way more run around time than I imagined (weeks). I have almost completed the wrapping chore and seriously wonder about this whole business.

When I was a munchkin, you got one present --- a simple pocket knife or cap gun was a biggie (I'm a guy, dolls worked as well for the other gender). Our culture, at least in my opinion, is basically nuts. I've been running around tracking down DVD's, electronic whatnots, whatever. The kids are being inundated with, in my opinion, junk.

Anyhow, thats my personal rant, please accept my apology for venting --- may you and your tribe be safe and enjoy the holidays.
I must say I agree. We've gotten so far off-track of the meaning of this holiday.

I am an only child, and my son is an only child. He is far from being responsible or mature enough to be a father, and maybe that's why I feel as I do, but I don't have any desire for grandchildren. I am in my 60's and in a lot of pain due to physical issues. I can barely manage my dogs and I sure don't want to give up what's left of my social life, as I've seen many of my friends do after grandchildren (some willingly, some not really). Although truth be told, if he ever had a child, I'd probably do all the loving grandmotherly things my own mother did for him.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
I have four children and my wife has one.

My oldest son is 41 and has been with the mother of his children for 26yrs. They have two kids and a granddaughter. From the conversations I've had with my son, I've gotten the impression that if my grandson has another child he will be disowned. I don't see them getting married.

My youngest son is 40. He is going through his second divorce. He has two kids. One from each.

My oldest daughther is 31. She lives her boyfriend of 6 years. He has grown children and doesn't want anymore. She doesn't want kids. I don't see them getting married.

My youngest daughter is 22. She is engaged. They have a child. They don't have a date set yet

My step-son is 31 and he is not in a relationship and doesn't have any children.

My oldest son's children only got three presents each from their parents. Everyone else could spoil them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement