Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times

Advertisements

I am 58, soon to be 59. I have come to understand that if I need to see my Dr., internist, and see them at the appointment time, that I make my appt. for right after they come back to the office after lunch. It works very well and I don't have to wait more than a few minutes.

Well, I have come to learn that when I have an appointment with other things, like hairdresser, if they are not on time, or within 15 min., I tell them I'm leaving. I've only done this once after I waited 30 min. just to get a trim. I thought this is rude and she was still in the middle of someone else's hair. My hairdresser appeared shocked that I would get up and leave. I told her I would call another time. I've never had to wait that long again.

Today, I had just a general appt. with my chiropractor. I was waiting 25 mins passed my appt. time and I told the receptionist I was leaving. She got big eyed and said "REALLY"? Granted if I was in pain and in need I would have stayed. But I was really pissed off and it was the second time this has happened in 2 weeks.

I guess, what I am saying is, that when I was young, I never would do anything like this. Now, it is a bit unnerving to take a stand but I felt better for having done it. I work full time and have other things to do as well. I will go back to the chiro but I will talk with her about it.

So, have you grown more outspoken as you''ve gotten older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM

373 posts, read 710,732 times
You need to have patience when at a doctors office because sometimes things can cause the Doc to be running behind. However if you see evidence that he is overbooking and is often "late" you have every right to say" Im sorry but it appears I will have to make another appointment since the doc has not been able TO KEEP THIS ONE." The office clerks hate for you to do this but it is your right and they can not stop you. I have done it several times.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I am 58, soon to be 59. I have come to understand that if I need to see my Dr., internist, and see them at the appointment time, that I make my appt. for right after they come back to the office after lunch. It works very well and I don't have to wait more than a few minutes.

Well, I have come to learn that when I have an appointment with other things, like hairdresser, if they are not on time, or within 15 min., I tell them I'm leaving. I've only done this once after I waited 30 min. just to get a trim. I thought this is rude and she was still in the middle of someone else's hair. My hairdresser appeared shocked that I would get up and leave. I told her I would call another time. I've never had to wait that long again.

Today, I had just a general appt. with my chiropractor. I was waiting 25 mins passed my appt. time and I told the receptionist I was leaving. She got big eyed and said "REALLY"? Granted if I was in pain and in need I would have stayed. But I was really pissed off and it was the second time this has happened in 2 weeks.

I guess, what I am saying is, that when I was young, I never would do anything like this. Now, it is a bit unnerving to take a stand but I felt better for having done it. I work full time and have other things to do as well. I will go back to the chiro but I will talk with her about it.

I'm with you.

When I've been sitting 30-minutes past my appointment time and nobody has approached me advising that something has delayed the appointment I approach the reception desk, ask for a piece of paper and pen, and then write a note to the professional explaining that he/she has been disrespectful and because of theat I am leaving. I walk out and the reception staff is, also, wide-eyed in disbelief. The people I deal with have adjusted their behavior, or I've changed to someone else. Disrespect me and I'm out of there. Demand the respect you, we are entitled to. Delays do happen. It's not always the fault of the professional. But that person has the obligation to communicate with us. Or else.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,869 times
If you miss your appointment the Dr. will charge you a fee,why not charge the Dr. if he cant keep your appointment to within 30 min.?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
^^ I do.. I send a bill to the doctor office for @ rate of 120/Hr. I give him/her the 1st 10 min of being off schedule for free, but at 30 minutes i leave, I then send a invoce to the office for the 30+ minutes of my time they wasted. Often they will send me a bill for leaving. Had more then one office manager call me, and twice the doctor has called. None of them have paided me, but the ones who send me a bill quickly retracted it. Also I dont let them just put in in a exam room and forget me. After 5 min in a exam room with no one comming I'm standing in the middle of there hall way not moving. So Taking me in 'on' time and then parking me in a exam room does not work either.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Nope! I've always been rather outspoken. I have, however, grown infinitely more patient through the years and more tolerant as well. I've had to wait for my doctor but once he meets with me I never feel rushed and he gives me ample time and attention as he has to the patients ahead of me.

Don't know 'bout anyone else but my time is finite and not something I feel compelled to rush through. I usually take a book to read to appointments because time is too precious to waste as well.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:

I've always been this way. If a doctor is running behind his assistant can get off their butt and tell me. If they don't tell me I assume he's out back having either a quickie with a cute nurse or a cigarette, while I waste my time sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of people who are sicker than me and giving me whatever it is they have.

This year I dumped the doctors clinic I've been going to for over 30 years because I had the first appointment of the day and I sat in that stupid little room for 1/2 hour. I told the new clinic why I left the previous one and that if they treated me the same way I'd be gone.

Same with anyone I have an appointment with. If you're running late, call me. If you won't show me that consideration, someone else will.

As someone who ran their own business I know how easy it is to call someone and let them know. I always did, and clients always appreciated it.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
Some years back I waited two hours for a scheduled Doctors appointment. I told the receptionist I was leaving. She said you will be billed for the appointment. I said bill me and we will see how that goes.

I got a bill. I then billed them for my time. They sent me a past due notice. I sent them a past due notice. I never heard from them again.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 12-28-2011 at 07:27 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
I don't wait more than 30 minutes for anyone. At the 30 minute mark I go to the receptionst and tell her I have an appointment to go to and will have to reschedule.

Last week The VA Medical Center called and said I had to be in Tucson, 60 miles away, at 0845 the next day. I asked why and no one seemed to know. I went up there and the doctor arrived at 0920.
So if I was seen first the people who thought they were first were over 30 minutes behind so the doctor could be off this Wednesday, there was no Medical Reason for my appointment to be moved up

Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times
Wow, looks like I'm a late bloomer with this!!! I'm glad to see people are doing this. When I made the fuss at the Chiropractor's office, the receptionist blamed it on the patient being late. I then reminded her it had happened the week before as well. I told her then there should be a limit on how late a patient can be.

I have a friend who was 15 min late for an Ortho appt. and they refused to see her as there was a 15 min lateness rule. I think it should work both ways.

My Chiropractor just bought this business from her previous employer, and it is obvious that she is cramming as many people in as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement