Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 PM

207 posts, read 535,870 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if you would work a job for 27 years that a job that you hate and you know for sure you can retire at age 50 with money that is 50,000 or more.
See I have a secured job. And I just bought a house and I know I can pay it off within 13 years. I take a look at mom she worked for 34 years and saved lots of money and she enjoys her retirement and I want to be like that. she tells me I just need at to at my job if I want to end up like her and that nobody likes their job and thats just life. I justed wanted to ask an old person who lived back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
27 years? A job that you hate? Even if there were any answer other than the obvious one, how can you be guaranteed that you'll have that job (that you hate) for 27 years? Wouldnt it be a kick in the head if you get fired or laid off after 26.5 years? And you had spent all those years at a job you hated?

This "old person who lived back in the day" doesnt think $50,000 will be worth all that much in 27 more years anyway.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
I'm 68 and work full time in my own business which I enjoy very much as well as earn a good income. But there is no way I'd work in a position I hated for 27 years or even 27 minutes regardless of the compensation. Besides, how do you know you'll be alive and functional in 27 years?

Back in the old days 50k was a high end income. Today I couldn't live on it.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
very few people love their job, they say they love their job as an affirmation. most hate work just hate it sort of like donkeys.
not many people can work 40 hours a week, its a talent to deal with that much BS every day.
the pay off is early retirement.
the long road, easy to talk about-- hard to do.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
very few people love their job, they say they love their job as an affirmation. most hate work just hate it sort of like donkeys.
not many people can work 40 hours a week, its a talent to deal with that much BS every day.
the pay off is early retirement.
the long road, easy to talk about-- hard to do.

I'm lucky in that I always loved my job for the 42 years I worked in the oil/gas business. Some days were tough but, overall, I can honestly say that I truly loved the business and my job in it.

But, even if you dont love your job, you shouldnt hate it. There's a big difference between not loving your job and hating it. Working 27 years (or even one year) at a job you hate isnt good for your mental or physical health. And there's no guarantee that you'd be kept on for 27 years anyway -- especially if you hate your job that much. Bosses have a way of knowing when someone is that miserable; that attitude is irritating and can be contagious -- and is often terminated.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Well, I'm "an old person who lived back in the day", and in the sense of the OP's question there is nothing new under the sun. Your mom was wrong about everybody hating their job. It has always been true that some people love their jobs, some people hate their jobs, and some people find their jobs a mixed bag with enjoyable and gratifying moments as well as frustrating and stressful moments. And it has always been true that each individual has to decide what to put up with in order to make a living. On one extreme you can jump from job to job seeking the perfect one and end up only with periods of unemployment and frustration at not finding perfection in the workplace. On the other extreme you can be miserable out of a sense of duty (if you really hate your job) and stay in that job for 30, 35, or 40 years while you destroy your physical and mental health. Lucky are those who have found something they love. Most of us inhabit a middle ground, is my opinion. I am a person from that middle ground - at times my job seemed like pure hell and at times it offered a lot of pleasure - but I stuck with it for 34 years and it put food on the table, paid the rent, provided me with enough money to enjoy hobbies and activities outside of work, and from it I now have a pension I can live on.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
27 years? A job that you hate? Even if there were any answer other than the obvious one, how can you be guaranteed that you'll have that job (that you hate) for 27 years? Wouldnt it be a kick in the head if you get fired or laid off after 26.5 years? And you had spent all those years at a job you hated?

This "old person who lived back in the day" doesn't think $50,000 will be worth all that much in 27 more years anyway.
I couldn't imagine working 10 minutes at a job I hated.

Adjusted for inflation $50,000 in 1985 is equivalent to $105,125 today. So given the same inflation rate $50,000 today would be worth $23,781 27 years from now.

Most money I ever made in my lifetime was 1989 when I got a W-2 with $105,000 which would be equivalent to $191,565 today. In addition to wages the job came with a lot of perks well beyond the normal free health insurance and company car. Actually two cars, we traded in for new ones every two years, my wife needed one too. I had a fully loaded suburban with leather seats I loved. For 8 years I never paid for my own gasoline, insurance, car payments or even meals out with the family. Dining out were always business meals. I had a yard care service and I didn't even pay for that. We didn't even pay for food, what we would do is purchase 3 cows at the country fair which were considered donations. We'd write the donations off our taxes with each partner getting a free cow every year. Sorry IRS, statute of limitations is way over on that one.

To me that was a lot of money and counting perks I've never made half that the rest of my life.

But I can not begin to tell you how much I grew to hate my job and the people I worked with. With all the money I wasn't saving a dime instead buying crazy stuff in a failed attempt to make myself feel better. Crazy stuff like the first cell phone in the county just because I could and service wasn't even available. I was nuts.

One day in 1990 I just got up, walked out and I owned a minority share of the business. It didn't matter, I was so unhappy a million dollars a year wouldn't have kept me there. Getting rid of my shares of the company got me screwed but I didn't care, all I wanted was out.

Next to marrying my wife walking out was the best decision I ever made.

I learned money doesn't purchase happiness and money is way, way down on the list of what is takes to make a good job a good job.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
I always said 'They don't pay me enough to come here and be unhappy'. I worked 20 years at the same company and there were good and bad but more good than bad. I was lucky in I managed to find another position in the co when I was unhappy where I was working.

Now a days companies do not want you to stay for 20 years so unless you work for the gov't or a union. I know my company told a bunch of with 20 years that they were making us a deal we shouldn't refuse to retire. They can and do dismantle depts, move jobs overseas and close businesses.

I am not saying you should 'quit' but if things don't improve in a year or two you should start looking for a new position. Remember.. the new place may not be any better

Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
I think that staying in a job you hate is an act of desperation and fear. As others have said, you couldn 't pay me enough to do so and my last employer tried. I retired anyway. I'd been there 25 years and the last year, complete with a major promotion, was attrocious. The "culture" of the workplace had changed drastically and not for the better when it came to the employees. I'd not planned on retiring for another couple of years but did so anyway. Peace of mind is priceless.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I was just wondering if you would work a job for 27 years that a job that you hate and you know for sure you can retire at age 50 with money that is 50,000 or more.
See I have a secured job. And I just bought a house and I know I can pay it off within 13 years. I take a look at mom she worked for 34 years and saved lots of money and she enjoys her retirement and I want to be like that. she tells me I just need at to at my job if I want to end up like her and that nobody likes their job and thats just life. I justed wanted to ask an old person who lived back in the day.
'back in the day' for some reason I find that phrase insulting. Can't exactly place my finger on why though. So I will let it go.

$50k/annum, uh, everyone throws numbers around.

I remember the 'Mary Tyler-Moore' show where she was a TV news crew reporter, and she was making $27k/year. I remember thinking that $27k was a lot of money. Then again the first gasoline I bought was 'regular' [we had ethyl and regular, they were both leaded fuels] and I paid 14cents/gallon.

You hate your job. This is not unusual.

I served in the military where I routinely saw shipmates disabled and thrown out. I stayed with it, though knowing we had a good retirement plan. Of my 20-year Active Duty career, I completed 14 years on subs. Each year on subs we averaged 7-months underwater.

Living underwater was not fun. It was not enjoyable. But we did it, and a few of us survived it long enough to make it our career.

My other 6-years I did Law Enforcement, including in combat theater. For me it was a way to get away from living underwater. Though I have friends who actually managed to do their entire careers on subs. A brutally restrictive lifestyle.

The retirement is worth it. For me. I can't really say about the guys who were disabled along the way though.

Should you stay with your career? Only you can answer that.

I suggest two things:
1- that you continue to take college courses. Even if it is only one class per semester, keep building your resume. None of us know what will happen next year. Get a new certification each year. Build your skill set.

2- Look into personal budgeting classes. Tax-planning classes. Reduce your tax liability, and invest in something you believe in. Build a portfolio.

Whether you become wealthy one day, or not. It is you who decides, by your actions now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement