Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,964 times

Advertisements

For those of you already retired.....

I have many many years until I retire and often wonder what fabulous careers are out there and thought I would ask those already retired what you think.

Did you have an occupation that you really enjoyed and made great money at, if so what was it and how long did you do it for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post

I have many many years until I retire and often wonder what fabulous careers are out there and thought I would ask those already retired what you think.

Did you have an occupation that you really enjoyed and made great money at, if so what was it and how long did you do it for?
I spent ten years doing Workers Compensation fraud investigation in southern California. I don't know if I would call it "fabulous" but it was certainly interesting. For awhile, it was a lucrative business... but then the State of California passed a senate bill restricting how much the govt. would pay for the investigations. Overnight, most surgeons refused to participate (they were required to examine the injuries). The business that remained became dubious medical mills. So I wouldn't recommend that line of work anymore. But in its day, it was a lot of fun.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
"fabulous career"

Not really, I served aboard various submarines. I earned an average of $65k/year tax-free.

I studied different skills each year, and became proficient in many tasks.

Picked up a few degrees.

I was very proud of my work and what we were doing; and we have lived in a lot of different cultures.

We moved around a lot. Got settled in and used to one city just as it became time to move again.

I made enough though that we were able to do a lot of investing.

Our investment portfolio enabled us to buy our retirement home using cash, so we have no mortgage.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:42 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times
Spent the last 8 years in a stress free job, a wonderful boss and the greatest people working for me. I pretty much come and go as I please but also feel guilty if I do it too much, pay is just slightly over $70,000. Planning on leave this summer to retire and move away with my husband. I'm an Admistrative Manager working in a 5 person office. Very much a job that one waits for and is blessed to have it, but it's time to venture into a new chapter of our lives.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 PM

13 posts, read 22,273 times
Smile retired at 52 .. now 62

Quote:

retired and was able to help wife do the same 5 yrs ago .. we make a little more than when we worked

Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM

what do most people think a good retirement income annually would be ???

Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 PM

most middle class couples think $100,000 would be more than enough

Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I was a high level EPA employee who never actually went to work. I got away with this by claiming that I was a spy working in Pakistan when in fact I was home mowing my lawn and reading novels. It's great work if you can find it.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbig60 View Post
retired and was able to help wife do the same 5 yrs ago .. we make a little more than when we worked
Good for you

Old 12-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:

fabulous careers / great money
gonna be different for everyone (Some people can take a structured environment, others need SPACE to think and work)

Fabulous MONEY would have been a double income (working spouse). And as such, retirement by age 35 would have been possible for me. (or as a frugal single with a good job...). My double income came only from working 2 jobs. ... I was able to retire at age 49.

Please consider finding something BESIDES a wage based career, as the future is bleak to cover inflation, taxes, (fees) and benefits for worker bees. I do have confidence in a better economy, but the 'smart' workers are always a step ahead of their employers and money hungry government.

Having diverse methods to make money, and getting that money Working For You, (and preserving the earnings) will be the way to growing and sustaining wealth. The formula for doing that successfully is very 'era' / opportunity / skillset / interest dependent.

Land speculation and commercial property rehab and re-sell worked best for me (and added about the same value as my working / saving / investing 35 yrs of wage income).

I bought my first home at age 19, and lived on PT jobs and never touched my salary from fulltime job till age 35 (married with kids /pets and farm) . 100% went to investments / retirement (from age 17 - 35).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement