Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,677,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Just wondering if any retirees have thought about this and/or have done something like paying ahead for these services.

My Mom started this when she was 80, about 20 years ago. Everything is paid for. In my case, nothing is planned/paid for. I will probably just leave it up to the kids to do whatever they want with me.
My wife and I have done the paperwork to donate our bodies to the local university school of medicine. The pick the body up upon notice of death.

Three days later there will be a memorial service but more important, food, an open bar, and I hope a few laughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Wait....I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up....

Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
2012 (or any yr) is a great yr to join a funeral co-op ~$25.00 up front)
People's Memorial
Traditional 'upfront' costs can be a real killer... Get an econo package, 'full-meal-deal' under $800 (corpse transport to burial / cream.)

I like Co-ops, and this type of arrangement can save you a bundle. (partner organizations throughout USA and probably the world, as Co-ops are far more prevalent elsewhere, including Canada.)

As many of you know... I did the 'take dad 2500 miles to bury him' plan, all for under $1000, including the discount 'ABS Vault' we stopped and picked up while driving through Wyoming. Backhoe rental was cheap. I could have flown him for $300. BUT Nebraska REQUIRES a funeral director to fetch corpse from airport. They wanted $1600 to transport to graveyard + $1200 for a Wilbert Vault, AND vault delivery + backhoe 2x... ($250ea). No thanks, I dealt with this ALL for under $1000 TOTAL BONES.

Lesson learned... Don't Die in Nebraska !!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM

526 posts, read 899,520 times
what is going price for cremation????

neither of our families feel funerals, burial are needed.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I believe hospice care doesn't involve the coroner either. My mom died before my sister could make arrangements for hospice care. Hospice did call the next morning and was helpful, explaining what she needed to do since hospice wasn't involved before my mom's death.

For those who are interested, my sister had to contact the fire department, to send paramedics (a fire engine came too). They contacted the police department. An officer took and filed a police report. Finally, my sister was able to call the funeral home. I assume the coroner filed a certificate of death based on the police report, and coordinated with the funeral home. I believe the funeral home contacted SS and Medicare.

I believe all of the above would have been avoided or taken care of by hospice.
Why did the Fire Dept have to get involved? Why not just call the police directly? If the death already occurred, why the need for paramedics? If paramedics were needed (in case the death wasn't definite), why not just call the ambulance?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
what is going price for cremation????

neither of our families feel funerals, burial are needed.
There is a big thing now around "green" burials and cremations. It's the newest death industry, and it's catching on.

Green Burials,...Return Naturally

Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
In high school, we read the poem "Thanatopis" and I remember the imagery something like, "the roots of the oak pierce your mouldering body," and I remember really liking the idea of just becoming part of the earth that way.
When I worked at a freestanding hospice (its own building with "inpatients") RNs could pronounce deaths. The funeral people would come in a couple of hours and take the body, RNs signed the death certificate.
When I work on the dementia unit at an inpatient psych hospitals, there are sometimes end-stage people who are on "comfort and care only" orders. When they die in the hospital, the medical doc on grounds pronounces and fills out papers and, I think, notifies authorities. This is in Massachusetts.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM

7,523 posts, read 13,645,526 times
Default Why Police & Fire .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Why did the Fire Dept have to get involved? Why not just call the police directly? If the death already occurred, why the need for paramedics? If paramedics were needed (in case the death wasn't definite), why not just call the ambulance?
In most localities, when a death is "unwitnessed" by a medical professional (MD or RN), then police are required to determine if any "foul play" involved. As police are not medically qualified, they will call for a Paramedic Ambulance, which are part of, or under the control of, the Fire Dept. A Fire truck may respond if additional manpower is needed should the victim/patient need transport to ER after all. (think third floor walkup )Even the paramedics on-scene will have to confirm (by phone or radio)with their Medical Advisor MD (usually at nearest ER) for OK to pronounce death, and not attempt any resuscitation (in the absence of DNR orders).

Last edited by reed303; 03-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,553,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Paramedics were needed to confirm death. I don't believe the police have the ability to do so. Police were there to determine that there were no suspicious circumstances related to the death. I don't think an ambulance service can determine death.

If my mom hadn't gone downhill so quickly, hospice would have handled everything and the fire and police depts wouldn't have been involved. My sister contacted hospice that late afternoon and they called back early the next morning, abet too late to be involved, but helpful with what needed to be done.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Paramedics were needed to confirm death. I don't believe the police have the ability to do so. Police were there to determine that there were no suspicious circumstances related to the death. I don't think an ambulance service can determine death.

If my mom hadn't gone downhill so quickly, hospice would have handled everything and the fire and police depts wouldn't have been involved. My sister contacted hospice that late afternoon and they called back early the next morning, abet too late to be involved, but helpful with what needed to be done.
I guess I had it wrong. I thought the police got called, and they in turn call the coroner who pronounces death. No middle man (paramedic, fire dept, etc).

What disturbs me very much is that when my mother passed, she did so at home alone (just dropped). My sister called the police who called the coroner. Because she died with "no witness," an autopsy had to be performed (or so I was told by my sister, and I never questioned it). I do not want an autopsy performed on me, nor do I want my estate to have to pay for one. How to get around this if you don't die in a hospital or hospice??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement