Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times

Advertisements

I propose adding euthanasia as an option to the Advance Directive.

You would get to decide if you would like to end your life before going into a "rest home," for instance, or needing some type of extraordinary care to continue living (and by "extraordinary," if you cannot live independently, then help to live could be "extraordinary."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
First one would have to get the laws changed before addig anyhting. Not likely to get anywhere o that.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM

18,724 posts, read 33,385,615 times
You can say as much as you can about not wanting to be maintained under certain circumstances, like a vegetative state, or no feeding tubes beyond initial effort to recover fully, and so on. I have told my lawyer and health care proxy, "If it doubt, pull the plug" in addition to my advance directives (on file with health plan, health care proxy and local hospital).
If able, one can always refuse food/water and that will take you down, especially if you are injured or ill or fragile in some way. It's not a bad way to go at all.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
You can say as much as you can about not wanting to be maintained under certain circumstances, like a vegetative state, or no feeding tubes beyond initial effort to recover fully, and so on. I have told my lawyer and health care proxy, "If it doubt, pull the plug" in addition to my advance directives (on file with health plan, health care proxy and local hospital).
If able, one can always refuse food/water and that will take you down, especially if you are injured or ill or fragile in some way. It's not a bad way to go at all.
But I think the OP is really asking for assisted suicide, meaning someone would actually have to "do it". Not sure who would be the one, and so many liability issues also. Doctors would not want to the the person to aid in suicide. We saw where Dr. Kevorkian ended up (jail). So, even though it might be what you desired, instead of being sent to a nursing home, how could you get this done, legally? Even a family member who provided the pills could be held accountable, and could end up in custody.
Yes, some laws would need changing.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I propose adding euthanasia as an option to the Advance Directive.

You would get to decide if you would like to end your life before going into a "rest home," for instance, or needing some type of extraordinary care to continue living (and by "extraordinary," if you cannot live independently, then help to live could be "extraordinary."

Since this is obviously a topic that is eating you (other post: "When Does the Quest for Longevity for It's Own Sake Go Too Far?") may I suggest you take care of it for yourself instead of institutionalizing it to make you feel better about your exit strategy. You don't need the government's okay or to drag everyone else in.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Since this is obviously a topic that is eating you (other post: "When Does the Quest for Longevity for It's Own Sake Go Too Far?") may I suggest you take care of it for yourself instead of institutionalizing it to make you feel better about your exit strategy. You don't need the government's okay or to drag everyone else in.
Don't think that was a very nice response, Laura. Obviously, the OP is asking a bonifide question and wants opinions and responses from us about what we think. The Quest for Longevity for Its own Sake is something I'll never do, but others living here certainly have the right to do so.

Not sure I understood your post. Could you explain it further???

Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Unfortunately, you do need the government's okay in order, at this point, not to have your assistant be charged with murder.
If it be made legal, it isn't mandatory for you to so indulge but would provide the option for others.
Once any form of mental incapacitation sets in, this type of choice cannot be made. Doing so in a directive (if made legal) is the only way.....and even then, you have to hope your wishes can't be/won't be ignored.
I do understand the concern over this.
I cringe at thinking I may end up being one of those....bodies....strapped and slumped in a wheelchair and rolled out to decorate the hallway for my daily excursion and to the delight of visitors.
I can't figure out the answer.
On an abstract basis,a lot of us can say, kill 'em.
When it gets personal and one real person at a time, most of us can't.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM

150 posts, read 427,241 times
alot of doctors will give large dose of pain medication that can slow your body down. Also you can also leave i nyour will to be moved t o oregon or another assisted suicide state. Make it in your will that your spouse has right to move you anywhere they want. means you can technically be moved to switzeland where they kiol lyou for a price.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I suggest you take care of it for yourself instead of institutionalizing it to make you feel better about your exit strategy. You don't need the government's okay or to drag everyone else in.
I agree with this...it should be your desician only....no one else should be involved...

Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dying by starvation and dehydration is not a pleasant death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement