Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:29 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,668,448 times

Advertisements

I already feel like my large two bedroom is too large for one person. I am continuing to get rid of stuff. I can see myself downsizing to a smaller, less expensive apt in the same town. I would like more outdoor space. That might be an incentive. There are better parts of town if/when I quit driving.

I am happy where I am now but I am still open to adventure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:09 PM

498 posts, read 572,883 times
I have moved twice. I see another move within next four years - want to spend a few good years with my sisters and then another move to assisted living near one of my sons. I am in my 70s. I am definitely not a "house" person....can live in a tent or a room...as long as I can get outdoors. I really like being with people who share my love of nature and learning.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:38 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,388,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'm guessing we'll make two moves after we retire, but there is a chance it will only be one if we stay here. The first move will be to be closer to our kids (driving vs. flying), in our likely dream home. The second move will be closer to major medical facilities or because we lose mobility (can't drive), as our first move will be more remote (2-5 hour drive to a big city). There may be one more move to a LTC facility, but we hope to avoid that.
My expectations are similar. The first move will be to the PNW to live near close family friends in a smaller city and experience another part of the country that includes being able to make trips to the Pacific coast. Once I approach my mid 70's or so, I may move back to the Southwest to be closer to family if I experience health and mobility issues. Also Assisted Living and LTC costs are much less in that part of the country.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:54 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,925,326 times
About 14 years ago, three and a half years before my projected retirement date, the sale of the apartment building where I had lived for 12 years forced me to seek new lodging and I ended up buying a two-bedroom plus loft town house. I said to myself, "This will be a perfect place for me to retire". Now, 14 years later and 10 years since retiring from full-time work, nothing has happened to change my mind. I don't plan to move ever again, for two reasons: First I love it here and second moving is too damn much work. I plan to die here.

I can hear some objections already: "What if you can no longer go up and down the stairs someday?" Well, that is a good point and it is conceivable that such an unimaginable tragedy could happen to me. If it does, I will deal with it when the time comes, which will probably mean finding a quick exit from this vale of tears. In the meanwhile I refuse to plan for the worst.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:11 PM

5,174 posts, read 3,779,977 times
Turned 63 earlier this year bought a SFH down South and that will be it for me. If I find I cannot hack it then just plant me in the backyard. No thanks no assisted living for me.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My expectations are similar. The first move will be to the PNW to live near close family friends in a smaller city and experience another part of the country that includes being able to make trips to the Pacific coast. Once I approach my mid 70's or so, I may move back to the Southwest to be closer to family if I experience health and mobility issues. Also Assisted Living and LTC costs are much less in that part of the country.
If you enjoy the 'west', (and can't stand mucky hot...) you can join me on my final move to the Pioneer Home on the grounds of the hot springs park in Thermopolis, WY! Do you like to sit in the hot springs!

I expect I will be moving there in my late 70's - mid 80's

Do get to the PNW, the salmon run is great this yr! Wild huckleberries for Breakfast today, and headed to the scenic Oregon coast for sunset tonight (a hot day today = good day to go to coast for a bright orange fall sunset and Halibut and Chips!)

I will move every 24 months to collect my tax free capital gains on primary residence.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,487,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Everyone seems to think that they need to find THE place to retire, as if they plan to live there the rest of their life. But is this reasonable? Will we want to live the same place when we turn 75 as 65? 85? Or is it less stressful and more adventurous to just pick a reasonable place (at say 65)and just give it a try. Not that we shouldn't do our homework in making a choice, but maybe we don't need to obsess over it either. I'm guessing that if one really likes the area chosen for a retirement move at 65, at 75 there might still need to be a move to a place in the same vicinity with more or different amenities. What do others think? Are we over thinking?

We like to keep it simple. We have a Class A RV (and if we live longer than we expect to, we'll buy another one) and like to park it in a couple of places - depending on season - when we're not touring. If touring becomes too much to handle, we'll just go with living in and working from our RV. We like to boondock (park in remote, peaceful places that we're perfectly at home in and around) rather than stay at crowded campgrounds.

I love the life in that it always feels like home; only the scenery changes.

Blessings to all,

Mahrie.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,767,063 times
We grew up in Indiana and left at thirty. We were/are in NY for 31 years and are transitioning to FL for next thirty. I don't know where we'll go at 91, but I hope we like it.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:19 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,293,040 times
We moved to Santa Fe last year as a pre-retirement move. I've still got about ten more years to work, but we decided to make the move rather than wait. We'll stay here for the long haul if possible. If DH predeceases me, I'll probably move to something smaller, with no yard, very close to downtown. If I predecease DH, he may go to Arkansas where his closest cousin lives.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
Hopefully one but assisted living could be in the picture too.

I like to get a change of scenery sometimes so we use our timeshare and there are always "last calls" at RCI - the largest timeshare vacation exchange network in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement