Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:41 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

robynn i went searching for this especially with you in mind as i know your a fixed income bug and expressed interest in etf's..

with all the interest in fixed income and avoiding equities i have been tracking for years now a 100% fixed income portfolio using nothing but a variety of bond funds that cover every corner of fixed income investing. its done very very well.

i track a few hypothetical portfolios using etf's and one was 100% fixed income that caught my attention a few years ago.

i couldnt remember the percentages to start with ,nor could i remember who conceived it.

it took me a while to find a copy of it because i thought it was conceived by swedroe or swenson but its actually the brain child of william larkin.

it uses all etf's which are funds that trade like stocks.

Larkin's portfolio:

25% iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond ETF (AGG) (Tracks a broad index of high-quality U.S. bonds)

25% iShares iboxx $ Investment Grade Corporate (LQD) (Tracks an index of the most liquid, long-term corporate bonds)

10% Fidelity Floating Rate High Income (FFRHX) (Invests in floating rate bank loans that automatically adjusts to rising short-term interest rates. It offers additional inflation hedge)

10% iShares MBS Fixed Income (MBB) (Tracks a broad index mortgage-backed securities)

7.5% SPDR DB International Govt Inflation-Protected Bond (WIP) (Invests in an index of non-U.S., inflation-linked bonds)

7.5% PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt (PCY) (Tracks an index of emerging markets government debt)

7.5% iShares Barclays TIPS Bond (TIP) (Tracks an index of inflation-protected, U.S. Treasury securities)

7.5% iShares Iboxx $ High Yield Corporate Bond (HYG) (Tracks an index of high yield bonds)

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-26-2012 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,817 times
another inflation indexed fund I like.

LIFCX Lord Abbett Inflation Focused C, mutual funds, quote, price - Morningstar

Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM

whats interesting is 25% of the portfolio will do okay with raising inflation.

you have US tips ,foreign inflation linked bonds and floating rate bonds.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
It seems like you need to respond to interest rate changes just as if you buy individual issues. We have been in a period with low and dropping rates for so long it is easy to forget how quickly the value of bond funds will drop when rates rise.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:42 PM

the scarey thing is this. we have been in a bond bull market for 30 years. folks who ran to bonds for safety have never experienced a bond market sell off in their lifetime and a real bear market in bonds.

those in these target date funds that are at or near retirement will get a pretty rude awakening when bonds have a sell of.

they will see why investing by age instead of whats happening in the big picture is a big mistake.

when they look and see they lost 8-10% of their investment if rates rise 1% we may have a sell off like never before .

Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Why? How about these - 5 star rated, long track record, better YTD returns, much lower expenses under .5% - and NO LOAD.

PRRIX PIMCO Real Return Instl, mutual funds, quote, price - Morningstar

DIPSX DFA Inflation-Protected Securities I, mutual funds, quote, price - Morningstar

Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 AM

the inflation oriented funds are really not bond funds in the true sense. most use tricks and swaps to somehow buy into commodity indexes.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Hi Mathjak - Didn't mean to ignore this thread. I've just been really busy the last couple of weeks. Spent a lot of time cooking for my husband's birthday today. Luckily - he didn't want anything grilled - because Beryl would have put a crimp in that plan. So lasagna it is. Knock wood - we didn't lose power.

Anyway - the problem with the portfolio you mention is a fair number of these funds (hadn't heard of any except LQD and HYG before) are fairly illiquid. For example - WIP only trades an average of 200k shares a day. MBB about 373k. PCY about 796k. Whereas LQD trades about 1.9 million - HYG trades about 3.2 million - and JNK trades about 5.3 million (SPY trades about 156 million!).

This lack of liquidity can easily result in 2 problems. First - it can be difficult/impossible to buy/sell at reasonable bid/ask spreads. Second - when an ETF has such small volume - it can trade more like a closed end fund (at a fairly large premium/discount to NAV) than a more liquid ETF.

Anyway - I think this portfolio of funds probably works better on paper than it would work in the real world. Robyn

Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM

except for hyg and agg i never owned the others so i cant say.

as far as etf's acting like a closed end fund they dont trade more than a smidgeon above or below their actual assets and if they do its corrected instantley.. thats because unlike a closed end fund institutions arbitrage any slight difference immeadiatly that happens between the etf and its actual holdings the instant a spread appears bringing it back into line again.,

http://web.streetauthority.com/cmnts/sp/2004/04-19.asp

Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
except for hyg and agg i never owned the others so i cant say.

as far as etf's acting like a closed end fund they dont trade more than a smidgeon above or below their actual assets and if they do its corrected instantley.. thats because unlike a closed end fund institutions arbitrage any slight difference immeadiatly that happens between the etf and its actual holdings the instant a spread appears bringing it back into line again.,

Closed-End Funds are Not ETFs
That's the theory. But it doesn't always work in practice - especially with bond ETFs:

FT Alphaville » The curious case of ETF NAV deviations

Be Careful When Buying ETFs At A Premium To NAV - Seeking Alpha

Keep in mind that liquidity in many/most bond markets is more the exception to the rule than the rule. The opposite is true in many/most equity markets.

Also - you really have to look at what you're buying. For example - WIP is currently holding 42% cash.

https://www.spdrs.com/product/fund.seam?ticker=WIP (look under holdings)

That seems ridiculous to me. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement