Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times

Advertisements

So the other night Mrs. Tek was in a mood. Just before we went to bed she said that she thought we should sell the house and go on a world cruise. That won't work because I'd go bonkers being at sea for more than three days straight. I need to get off every couple of days and be busy.

Yesterday I countered with selling the house and living in Europe for an extended period. Plenty of places to see there and Mediterranean cruising is rumored to be very nice. There are rail passes to be had, cars to rent, river tours to take, bus tours, cheap air flight, etc. We have mentioned either France or Germany as a home base because of the economies there.

Do we sell the house and go, or sell the house, move to our "final destination" for retirement and go? Find we like Europe and never come back?

Now we have to look at numbers and willingness. That will be an interesting conversation for two fiscally conservative people.

I also saw mention in another thread of wintering in Costa Rica. That is very, very tempting.

Decisions, decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,744,245 times
Is renting your house out an option? If so, I'd try that first. Downsize your possessions, store the rest, rent the house, and take off. Not sure where you're located, but just going to Europe and never coming back isn't an option for most North Americans.

I would definitely want to try a place out first before I committed--have you actually been to Europe or Costa Rica?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,265,196 times
Go for it! Whether you sell your place or rent it - you only get one shot at adventure. A series of European multi-month stays is something we're considering as well.

Regarding Costa Rica, we've been snow birding there for a number of years, I can highly recommend it. Give a shout if you'd like more information on our CR experiences.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM

6,635 posts, read 7,370,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So the other night Mrs. Tek was in a mood. Just before we went to bed she said that she thought we should sell the house and go on a world cruise. That won't work because I'd go bonkers being at sea for more than three days straight. I need to get off every couple of days and be busy.

Yesterday I countered with selling the house and living in Europe for an extended period. Plenty of places to see there and Mediterranean cruising is rumored to be very nice. There are rail passes to be had, cars to rent, river tours to take, bus tours, cheap air flight, etc. We have mentioned either France or Germany as a home base because of the economies there.

Do we sell the house and go, or sell the house, move to our "final destination" for retirement and go? Find we like Europe and never come back?

Now we have to look at numbers and willingness. That will be an interesting conversation for two fiscally conservative people.

I also saw mention in another thread of wintering in Costa Rica. That is very, very tempting.

Decisions, decisions.
I am rather conservative so selling my home and not having another one would be a hard decision to make. However if you know that you will move (thus will sell at some time) to another community and you could rent in that community if necessary I think I would sell and go to Europe.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,518,118 times
Now that we have recovered from Ecuador, Australia is on the horizon. I like to cruise and take a land tour; the best of both worlds.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Is renting your house out an option? If so, I'd try that first. Downsize your possessions, store the rest, rent the house, and take off. Not sure where you're located, but just going to Europe and never coming back isn't an option for most North Americans.

I would definitely want to try a place out first before I committed--have you actually been to Europe or Costa Rica?
We're not planning on moving to either location permanently. We know we're going to Europe. Roots, ya know. My premise is that if we are going it will likely be a one shot deal so we should spend enough time there to see everything we want to see before we come home.

Costa Rica for a month in the winter. How hard can it be? It's not like it's Iraq.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I am rather conservative so selling my home and not having another one would be a hard decision to make. However if you know that you will move (thus will sell at some time) to another community and you could rent in that community if necessary I think I would sell and go to Europe.
Our plans are to move. I've had enough of winters. That does assume we find a suitable place to move to. There are a couple on our radar. One is becoming too expensive, the others we will visit next spring. The option to move first is certainly high on the list. It would be nice to have a place ready when we return.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Go for it! Whether you sell your place or rent it - you only get one shot at adventure. A series of European multi-month stays is something we're considering as well.

Regarding Costa Rica, we've been snow birding there for a number of years, I can highly recommend it. Give a shout if you'd like more information on our CR experiences.
Your posts are the ones I am referring to. I will probably be DMing you at some point with questions if that is acceptable. Of course putting questions and answers in a thread will spread that information to more people. Your choice.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,241,105 times
If you don't have a bunch of 'inheritance / Farm / JUNK'... go for the complete liquidation.

Since I DO have JUNK, + the probablility (possibility) of SOMEDAY coming back to USA. I will use the SHOP + Apartment of one of my rural rental properties as my HOME (US) away from home. Each has a house AND a shop w/ apartment.

That way the place stays rented / self supporting, and provides me with a CHEAP and acceptable place to come back to. (should I ever need to or choose to)

If I ever find a desirable place to BUY overseas. I am likely to do the same thing (Have a small 'servant' house on a farm that I own and rent out) or... find a benevolent friend / farmer who would like me to invest in doing so at their location. (Build a small cottage for ME).

One does not have to let the 'American Dream' become an Anchor.
There are very affordable rural villas in europe and Asia that a person can do this type of ownership. Many foriegn destination villas come with 'worker / house'.

A Family in Oregon wanted a vineyard in USA, but couldn't afford it, So they bought one in France. It came with a caretaker and 3 living qtrs, so they sold 1/4 interests to 3 friends and they EACH have a place in Europe, and they can all be there together or seperately + the place always has a caretaker.

Not a bad plan.

I need to live overseas due to being an early retiree w/o health insurance. MANY yrs before Medicare eligibility.

Good Luck, Good idea, No you are not Crazy.

After many yrs of international work / living / travel... I find it a much richer experience to stay in a region as a local than to 'visit'. I do so VERY cheap. I am compiling some more 'Junk' / that I will take with me to Europe to help me travel in style. You can also pick up fairly inexpensive travel vans and econo cars (that run on free fryer oil .

Check over on the travel forum. Cheilgirl ? is doing the camper thing in Europe for a few yrs.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-07-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 04:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,529,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Our plans are to move. I've had enough of winters. That does assume we find a suitable place to move to. There are a couple on our radar. One is becoming too expensive, the others we will visit next spring. The option to move first is certainly high on the list. It would be nice to have a place ready when we return.
First two sentences - they make sense to me. France and Germany and Costa Rica? Apples and oranges and peanuts. We have been to Europe 20+ times (sometimes for 3 week trips) - only once to Costa Rica (for about 2 weeks). We will be going to Sweden next week for a while. There is nothing cheap in Europe - except perhaps in parts of the countries that are now falling apart. In particular - France and Germany are pretty expensive (was in Germany in 2007 and France in 2008). As for Costa Rica - most of it used to be blissfully safe. Now a lot of it isn't.

I am in your camp in terms of cruising (not my cup of tea). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement