Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 PM

24 posts, read 109,972 times

Advertisements

I need to interview a an older woman for a school paper that is due on thursday. I thought this would be a good forum to put this in.

Here is the details

Write a paper detailing an interview that you conduct with an older woman. Be sure to keep the material relevant by asking questions that are related to the topics explored in HIS-531, for instance: access to education, employment (both traditional and non-traditional), availability of birth control, views on family life, instances of sexual harassment or discrimination, ect. Feel free to use any topics from your class readings, lectures, and films for ideas about relevant questions. The identity of your subject can be kept confidential if she would prefer.
This project should be interesting and provide you with valuable insights into the lives of real women in the context of women’s history. Have fun with it!!

If anyone wants to help me that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
I'm 63 years old but willing to answer only questions that strike my fancy.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Birth control?

Most of us are so over that.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
I am 60 and birth control was only just available when I was a child it was still illegal in most states to dispense any type of birth control or info on it. The Pill came about when I was in my early teens. I married very early and have never really worked, only the odd job here or there when hubby was between jobs that sort of thing I have earned a total of $7000. in my entire life. My ideas on family life were and still are very traditional, meaning the mother stays home and raises the children and the husband supports his family and is head of the household. Which is kind of funny since my mother worked to support the family and my father who had disabilities stayed home and took care of me. I myself have 5 children and have been married 44 years.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 63 years old but willing to answer only questions that strike my fancy.
You mean, to avoid your checkered past?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
I'd bet your instructor wouldn't mind if you wrote your paper based on a "group" interview with anyone who answers you here! Since your assignment is to interview a woman, I'm guessing the slant is about gender discrimination.

I'm 62 years old. I have benefitted greatly from the women who are ten to twently years older than me, who led the social change from the gender-role-bound days of the forties and fifties.

Access to education: I have an engineering degree from CalPoly, Pomona. Until 1960, CalPoly was not open to women. Luckily, that was before my time.

Employment: I'm from the age of women for whom legal gender discrimination in employment was strictly down to "bona fide gender differences". The typical example was clothes modeling. Then Ru Paul came along and even blew that away! I look around and wonder how so many people are still apparently bound by their gender roles. I think I was lucky not to have been raised in an atmosphere of gender roles, so it was much easier for me to avoid it.

Birth Control: I was lucky enough that when I needed it, it was reliable and freely enough available, so that I was able to control my fate.

Views on family life: I lived in a two-parent six-children household. My mother wore the pants in the family, because it just worked out better for them that way. She was a stay-at-home mom until my youngest sister was in kindergarten, and then built for herself a teaching career. Since I wasn't emotionally capable of going to university and making a career out of high school, that was a wonderful role model for me to follow when I finally matured enough to make a career. I, myself, have never felt the need for a 'traditional family life'. Possibly because my childhood family life was less than rosy.

Instances of sexual harassment or discrimination: Oh, hell yes! That's never going to disappear. You can legislate people's behavior, but not their values and reactions. And the fact is, men and women have loads of differences. As far as behavior goes, when someone steps out of line I don't formally report it. That's rarely necessary and just makes for hard feelings. I feign shock, then amusement, and comment on their hugely daring joke that would be illegal to say 'for real'. They get my unspoken message, and it allows them to save face.

I hope all this helps you. If you have more questions, or specific questions, please post them here ...

Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM

24 posts, read 109,972 times
Yeah a group interview sounds good. Great Idea.

Heres one question: If any of you had children did you raise them to be what their gender is? For example, if you had a young daughter and she liked to play with trucks and stuff like that. What did you think of that and did you allow that or said they had to play with girl toys?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,144 times
I'm 65. When my kids were young homosexuality was still very much in the closet and never even crossed most "straights's" minds, at least not mine. I ran a daycare in the 70's and don't recall gender identy being an issue with any of the kids I cared for, or mine. Everybody just played at playtime.

I now have 13 grandkids & 4 greats. Everybody still just plays.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I'm 65. When my kids were young homosexuality was still very much in the closet and never even crossed most "straights's" minds, at least not mine. I ran a daycare in the 70's and don't recall gender identy being an issue with any of the kids I cared for, or mine. Everybody just played at playtime.

I now have 13 grandkids & 4 greats. Everybody still just plays.

Totally agree. I am 61 and when my kids were young it never crossed my mind to care whether they played with dolls or cars. They just played.

When I was little, I did not like to play with dolls too much although I would use dolls as props for play such as being a doctor, etc. One of my barbies was an airforce flight nurse in combat in my play imagination. (that was before barbies were designated as barbie the teacher, barbie the doctor by mattel) Her name was Dorthea and she had auburn bubble/poodle haircut. My Mom made her a green flight suit. and we had all sorts of adventures. I ended up an Army Officer and had a wonderful career.

It all works out.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
I had one daughter and four sons, funny non of my sons were really into trucks, well not counting Transformers and NONE of them were into sports at all. My daughter played with mostly girl appropriate [at the time] toys. my oldest was born in 1969.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement