Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,550 times

Advertisements

It hit home recently when two of my siblings, both over 60 got shingles.
Unbelievably horrible. My sister will have permanent nerve damage and
brother is just beginning his agony. Now I am a needle phobic person. Have not
had a vaccination since I don't know when- at least 30 years.
So I hied myself down to the PC and waited for a shot. I had adrenaline rush,
heart palpitations. and nearly fainted. What a wuss.
the actual shot was nothing. So I urge everyone to get
immunized! Look at the flu (my next shot) epidemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
your choice and I congratulate you on your overcoming your fear.

but not everyone gets shingles at 60.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,043 times
Glad you braved the shot! I know several older folks that had shingles and one has permanent nerve damage and continues to suffer. Please, everyone, DO get the shot. I had it - no reactions, and even though my ins wouldn't pay for it, I think it was well worth the expense (about $230)

Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Only 50% effectiveness, which wanes with age. Entire, informative thread, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...u-get-one.html

In addition to the shot, don't smoke, don't drink, get enough sleep, eat highly nutritious natural foods, take vitamins, especially Bs and Lysine, minimize stress.

Stress is a biggee.

Not getting the shot. No one in my family ever had shingles - and some lived into their 90s, except my MIL due to the stress of a bad relationship after the death of my FIL. I put her on B vits and lysine and it was gone in a week. This was 30 years ago, or more.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
I am 68 and got the shot when I turned 65. I wish the effectiveness were more than 50%, but I'll take what I can get. I can't imagine a person having known someone who has had shingles and not getting the shot, unless one falls under the specific contraindications of the CDC vaccine information sheet. I don't even know if there are any groups of people who shouldn't get it (as there are for the flu shot, for example - allergic to eggs or having had Gillain-Barre syndrome). Shingles doesn't run in my family either, but I don't understand passing up even the 50% protection because the disease can be really horrible.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
Unfortunately those of us in the 60+ year range are very likely to be carrying the shingles virus. When it becomes active, watch out! You can even get it in your eyes, and when I heard that I was out the door to the pharmacist!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Got mine this year and glad I did.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
i heard there is a family link to shingles as well. don't know for a fact.

My sister has had 3 episodes of shingles and the first was especially bad.

i am on the calendar to see my doc and get the shot with other stuff. May just go to CVS to get it. May insurance said they would pay since I am over 60.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,077 times
My sister got shingles at age 56. It took about 5 years from her to recover from the nerve damage. So...the week after my 60th birthday, I got the vaccination. Even if they are only 50% effective...that sounds a lot better than no shot to me. I do eat well, exercise, get plenty of sleep and take supplements, including vitamin B.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
It hit home recently when two of my siblings, both over 60 got shingles.
Unbelievably horrible. My sister will have permanent nerve damage and
brother is just beginning his agony. Now I am a needle phobic person. Have not
had a vaccination since I don't know when- at least 30 years.
So I hied myself down to the PC and waited for a shot. I had adrenaline rush,
heart palpitations. and nearly fainted. What a wuss.
the actual shot was nothing. So I urge everyone to get
immunized! Look at the flu (my next shot) epidemic.

I've had what I think is neurological disorder about all my life. About the only time I haven't had extreme anxiety & depression is when something made my whole body have a tingly numb-like feeling. I've only experienced that from 1 beer I tried & high CBD cannabis. Cannabis used regularly can regrow the protective nerve coatings. I have about 20 medical problems & get about no effective help from Docs & Big Pharma. I mostly get the flu from flu shots, so I don't get them. Yes, I'm 60+ (barely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement