Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

Tell us your story.

For example: A close family friend and her partner recently left Boulder, CO for the Big Island, where they had vacationed a number of times prior to retirement. Sold their gorgeous (but too big) house, most of the furniture; shipped 1 car; sold 2 others.

They're moving back to Colorado this month.

I had a friend back in Kennewick, WA who told me (from experience) "You can't make money in Paradise."

Has anyone retired happily in Paradise? Or is this just a dream that is seldom achieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
We retired and relocated to Florida from Ohio. We've been here almost two years and I can honestly say this is my climatic paradise. I just love it here. The weather is perfect for me, blue skies and sunshine are the norm, and the natural beauty of this place is awe inspiring. We miss the people and places we left, but are so blessed to live here. I finally feel like I am where I belong.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Some (many) may think California is Paradise but we very happily moved from there to the Ozarks and it's right where we want to be. A lot of people thought (think) we're crazy but we love it here, it suits us and we're not leaving. We already have "confirmed reservations" and will move only to the nearby veterans cemetery when the time comes.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default How do you define "paradise"?

If we take "paradise" literally, then that means the place would have no drawbacks, no down sides. Well, such a place does not exist on this earth.

So we'll have to modify the literal definition for the purpose of this thread, I suppose. "Paradise" would then become a place with which we are extremely satisfied, a situation which we just cannot imagine even contemplating moving away from, despite its drawbacks. That is much more achievable.

And of course one person's paradise is another person's hell and vice-versa because we want and value different things. That is true for climate and for everything else. I cannot imagine wanting to live in Florida, for example, and I would make almost any sacrifice in order to not live there.

Well, I didn't move from paradise to my dream location because my dream location and my paradise were one and the same: Los Angeles. I didn't move because I was already here. I didn't spend a split second wondering if somewhere else would be better. There is only one significant down side, but it's a big one: traffic.

In retirement traffic matters somewhat less because we have more choice about which times of day and which days of the week we go to a given place.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
We retired from MA to SC. Love it. Very satisfied. Would not go back to MA under any circumstances. My son was happy for us, my daughter less so.

I have seen several cases where the women was unhappy being away from her grandchildren especially they were her daughter's children and they moved back. I know one or two where he said go....I am staying........LOL

Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Retired in 2011 , moved to Florida and its Paradise to us ... Bought a nice newer built townhouse for a very low price( .30 cents on the dollar of previous sale price) ..close to beaches, the Indian River .... It's kind been nice

Old 05-04-2013, 03:25 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,194,915 times
My mom's partner's son and wife recently retired from San Andreas, California to a condo in Hawaii. They also keep a nice travel trailer at an RV park in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I do not understand the OP's question - don't get the difference between "Paradise" and "Dream Location." In my imagination, these two terms are one and the same. Unless you meant: did you move from one wonderful place that suited you well to a "dream" location and how did that work out for you. Then I would get it.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
About 40-years ago, I decided, "Why wait until you get old(er) and retire ... to finally live where you really want to live? -- (in my case, near the beach in Florida ... from Denver and Kansas City, Mo.). We made the move and never looked back --- and frankly, have lived in our version of "paradise" for all these years --- so, when we retired in 2008, there was really no question of where to live (eg; "Gee, should we retire someplace really cold with no beach?).

The kids/grandkids ultimately settled nearby in Atlanta and Destin, Fla. --- Then, 2-years ago, we decided to make the move from the beautiful East Coast beaches of Central Florida ... to the beautiful, white sand beaches of the Panhandle (Destin, Fl) ... to be nearer the kids/grandkids. I'm honestly not real happy with the cooler weather and heavier traffic, but, the area is beautiful (one of the top SE tourist destinations, it's still Florida and mostly warm ... and then, there's the grandkids!) So, yes, we're still living in 'paradise'.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I do not understand the OP's question - don't get the difference between "Paradise" and "Dream Location." In my imagination, these two terms are one and the same. Unless you meant: did you move from one wonderful place that suited you well to a "dream" location and how did that work out for you. Then I would get it.
Yeah, I tried to work it out, too, and came to the same conclusion.

In that regard, it hits home. Biscuitpop and I live in a 'paradise' of sorts. People (that is, non-retired couples with children) are falling over themselves moving from other states into our community. For us, the pro's of living here are many, more than I could list.
But the few cons nag at us. Primarily we want to live in a place that is less politically conservative, has tolerable summers, and has mountains within a day's drive.
Sounds silly and shallow when I type it out. Our hunch is we'd regret making a permanent move. We're toying around with trying 3-6 month rentals in our selected 'dream' locales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement