Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times

Advertisements

Just curious about this because I went to the grocery store and came home all bloody and scraped up. On my way out of the store, I must have been moving too fast and tripped on something and the next thing you know, I was on the ground. I had bought a bottle of wine and it broke and somehow got all over my hair. So I was also reeking of wine

I don't know if I was just moving too fast and caught my foot on something or what happened. In other words, I don't know if this happened because I am old or just clumsy!

My uncle, who is REALLY old - recently fell down and couldn't get up and laid in his yard for 45 minutes until a neighbor happened by. He had one of those Life Alert things, but it malfunctioned and his cell phone was in the house when he answered the door when FedX rang . . .

What I was trying to figure out in association with his fall is why old people have such a hard time getting up. I got up - but he couldn't get up . . . not sure why or what happens to people to make them unable to get up if they fall.

Have you fallen down lately or more frequently as you age? Does everyone do it, or just a select few lucky ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM

419 posts, read 656,671 times
My biggest fear - falling. On a walk through my neighbor one day I stepped on a tiny pebble and down I went. I laugh about it now but trying to get up was a challenge. It has to do with balance. I tried yoga which is suppose to be help with balance. Again when getting on the floor to do poses getting up was a challenge. It's hell getting old.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Generally the ones who don't fall are the ones who do weighted workouts, also known as strength training, and this should include balance work and stretching.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Why do older people fall? -- Learn the Causes of Falls in the Elderly

Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Exactly what kinds of workouts? Can you provide a link?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
Yes, I am prone to falls. It scares me alot since I try to do house stuff alone, and if I fall, like off a ladder, no one will find me. The last one I recall was when I tripped over the computer cord in the kitchen, fell flat on my face on the tile floor with my eyeglasses on. I gave myself a black eye. The old knees make it hard to get up and the older I get, the more I realize I need to cool it. About 10 years ago I tripped over the edge of the shower stall, hit my head on the marble sink top, and broke my foot. I too have fallen in the grocery store, and slipped on a grape or something. Not one person came to help me get up. Not a store clerk or a stranger. I will probably die alone in this house LOL

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, I am prone to falls. It scares me alot since I try to do house stuff alone, and if I fall, like off a ladder, no one will find me. The last one I recall was when I tripped over the computer cord in the kitchen, fell flat on my face on the tile floor with my eyeglasses on. I gave myself a black eye. The old knees make it hard to get up and the older I get, the more I realize I need to cool it. About 10 years ago I tripped over the edge of the shower stall, hit my head on the marble sink top, and broke my foot. I too have fallen in the grocery store, and slipped on a grape or something. Not one person came to help me get up. Not a store clerk or a stranger. I will probably die alone in this house LOL
I know if I saw ANYONE fall, I would be right there - trying to help, getting help, etc.

When I fell a man walked by me, then came back and asked if I was ok - but I could sense he didn't want to "get involved." He said it would be better if he got someone from the store to help and he did go get someone. People were walking all around me, but no one else stopped or said anything.

The clerk who came out asked if I was ok - I said "yes" but I didn't really know - and she pointed out that I was bleeding. She got me a bandaid, but did not tell me to fill out a claim form or anything (not that I would sue the store, but if someone falls on their property, shouldn't they be concerned and make sure the person is ok?) . . .

I went back in the store all bloody to replace the wine that broke and a few other things that were damaged, and it was as if I were invisible. I guess that is the age thing, but it surprises me because I would be the first person to try to help someone else in that same situation.

It seems like people are just oblivious and pre-occupied.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,653 times
and it was as if I were invisible

I wonder if you would disclose where you live that you felt this way.
You can get yourself into sticky situations at any age. I have a friend that fell off his roof and broke his hip at 30 and took over an hour to claw his way to the phone. In my case, I fall less frequently as I have become more aware of the consequences and try to plan out moves instead of just doing them like when I was younger.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM

419 posts, read 656,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
and it was as if I were invisible

I wonder if you would disclose where you live that you felt this way.
You can get yourself into sticky situations at any age. I have a friend that fell off his roof and broke his hip at 30 and took over an hour to claw his way to the phone. In my case, I fall less frequently as I have become more aware of the consequences and try to plan out moves instead of just doing them like when I was younger.
So agree with you on the planning of moves. It's like a puzzle sometimes. LOL One just can't go full steam from point A to point B without thinking about it. I have lots of friends that have fallen. I think once one realizes the above, they adjust their living around walking.

As far as strength training said on this site. Don't think you will find many women doing this unless you are young. That is unrealistic IMHO. It is better to just be aware of one's surroundings.

Last edited by pnwretired; 05-10-2013 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Tai chi helps you improve your balance. Also I think it gives you a habit of moving more deliberately and being aware of how you step. It's great to see more and more senior centers offering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement