Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Due to my rather severe neurological disorder for which I've recently had surgery and for which there may be more in my future, my balance is somewhat lacking. Consequently, I've fallen twice in the past year but so far I've been able to get back up on my own. For me it's not an age issue but a disability issue. However, age probably doesn't help either. I now carry and use a cane so hopefully, no more falls anytime soon.

I don't knoiw were you live, imcurious, but here, people immediately come over to assess and assist. We're surrounded by caring folk which is one of the things we love about these here Aux Arcs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I know if I saw ANYONE fall, I would be right there - trying to help, getting help, etc.

When I fell a man walked by me, then came back and asked if I was ok - but I could sense he didn't want to "get involved." He said it would be better if he got someone from the store to help and he did go get someone. People were walking all around me, but no one else stopped or said anything.

The clerk who came out asked if I was ok - I said "yes" but I didn't really know - and she pointed out that I was bleeding. She got me a bandaid, but did not tell me to fill out a claim form or anything (not that I would sue the store, but if someone falls on their property, shouldn't they be concerned and make sure the person is ok?) . . .

I went back in the store all bloody to replace the wine that broke and a few other things that were damaged, and it was as if I were invisible. I guess that is the age thing, but it surprises me because I would be the first person to try to help someone else in that same situation.

It seems like people are just oblivious and pre-occupied.
I'm surprised the store didn't call an ambulance. The store already knew a possible law suit was looming. By not helping you, the store would be in an even worse spot in court. (I'm not suggesting you file a law suit.)

I'm surprised they let you back in the store all bloody and reeking of wine. Not exactly good for their business.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Altho' I've never fallen in a store, I've seen other people fall in stores over the years. I've never seen other shoppers not try to help the fallen. I don't think I want to live where you live. :-)

In any case, I'm glad you're all right.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I've been falling all my life, it's just harder to get up now. I just didn't watch where I was going. Once even fell up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial when I was 17 and that's not the only time I fell up steps when I was young. Now though, with leg, feet and hip stiffness and pain problems, I actually pay more attention when I walk and where I walk. I don't walk as much as when I was working, either. Last fall was last year on a pitching boat. Before that I slid down a muddy hill on my butt when I was feeding birds. I was more worried people would think the mud on my pants was something else.

I keep my cell phone in my pocket. Not worried about falling at home. One good thing about apartment living is that if you make enough noise someone will make a noise complaint and the office will send someone to enter to check it out if you don't answer the door. Told my downstairs neighbor I'd pound on the floor if I needed help.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I have taken a bad fall 2 times in the last year, but both times it was directly attributable to the shoes I had on and moving too quickly and without thought.

First fall was with my running to give something to my son as he was pulling out of the driveway, and I slid on the wet deck and went airborne.

Second was as I was taking my dog out, I saw one of the cars parked in my driveway was starting to roll backwards towards the street, and I started running, which caused my dog to run and pull in a different direction. I tripped on stones at the edge of the driveway (in a flower bed) and went airborne again.

In both cases, had I been wearing decent shoes, I doubt I would have fallen. Plus, I wasn't looking down to notice the proximity of the stones in one case, and I wasn't thinking about the fact that the deck was wet in the other. In other words, I wasn't conscious of my environment. Bad!!!

I suggest Tai Chi and Yoga for balance as well as flexibility.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Over the last 10 years or so, I kept falling about 3-4 times a year, and my doctor basically ignored it. Until I finally fractured my foot, went to a great ortho/podiatrist who helped me. I found out my ligament in my right foot was stretched so my foot would turn and I would fall. It is very frightening and I'm lucky I didn't break anything else or hit my head...it all happens so fast. I now wear an ankle brace all the time and it has helped tremendously. I could have had surgery but it was 50/50 and I would have been out 6 months. Without any one to drive me, etc. that wasn't an option, so I wear this very unsexy brace but it has been a blessing for me!. There are definitely exercises you can do to retrain your brain to get the message to your feet that you are on un-even ground...our brain is trained when we are little and learning to walk but apparently this message system gets messed up as we age.

I trippedl one time in the house, really injured myself and couldn't get up for about 10 minutes (until the pain subsided a bit) and it was the most helpless feeling.

I know I try to watch for cords,etc. in the house, and don't have alot of "throw rugs" around. I've read that is very dangerous for us. Any exercise that helps our balance is good. I've heard that ad on TV and after 65 one out of 3 people will fall during the year. Have to be careful of meds that can cause dizziness too, or getting up off the couch or a chair too fast.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM

419 posts, read 656,561 times
Yes I agree about tai chi. Took a few classes years ago. Should try and take it up again. At least one does not have to get on the floor if I remember correctly.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I no longer get dressed or change sitting down. Doing it this way forces me to do a constant sort of slow motion "Shao Lin Gung Fo" set of moves whilst engaged in such activities. This is an outstanding way to continuously work on balance.

Challenge - putting on and tying a shoe whilst balanced solely on the other foot.

Good for flexibility as well!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 PM

419 posts, read 656,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I no longer get dressed or change sitting down. Doing it this way forces me to do a constant sort of slow motion "Shao Lin Gung Fo" set of moves whilst engaged in such activities. This is an outstanding way to continuously work on balance.

Challenge - putting on and tying a shoe whilst balanced solely on the other foot.

Good for flexibility as well!
Oh my - I could never tie my shoe nor put my leg in my pants standing up. How wonderful is that, that you can.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I'm surprised the store didn't call an ambulance. The store already knew a possible law suit was looming. By not helping you, the store would be in an even worse spot in court. (I'm not suggesting you file a law suit.)

I'm surprised they let you back in the store all bloody and reeking of wine. Not exactly good for their business.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Altho' I've never fallen in a store, I've seen other people fall in stores over the years. I've never seen other shoppers not try to help the fallen. I don't think I want to live where you live. :-)

In any case, I'm glad you're all right.
I'm sorry that this happened to you. It is odd that the store wasn't more helpful. Is it possible that because the wine bottle broke and you smelled like wine people thought that you were drunk? They should still help you but maybe they was why they didn't.

I tripped on a curb and hit my head and body on the sidewalk outside a store when I was in my mid-fifties. Several people came to help me immediately. The store manager had me fill out a short accident report and called an ambulance. Luckily, I wasn't severely hurt but because I was out of town, at a conference, it really messed up my plans for the weekend. I missed many of the activities and spent most of the rest of the weekend alone in my hotel room on pain medication. Bummer.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm sorry that this happened to you. It is odd that the store wasn't more helpful. Is it possible that because the wine bottle broke and you smelled like wine people thought that you were drunk? They should still help you but maybe they was why they didn't.

I tripped on a curb and hit my head and body on the sidewalk outside a store when I was in my mid-fifties. Several people came to help me immediately. The store manager had me fill out a short accident report and called an ambulance. Luckily, I wasn't severely hurt but because I was out of town, at a conference, it really messed up my plans for the weekend. I missed many of the activities and spent most of the rest of the weekend alone in my hotel room on pain medication. Bummer.
I don't even know how the entire dynamic happened - how I fell, dropped the bag - the wine bottle popped out and broke and my hair was drenched in wine . . . I don't even understand how that is possible. There was all kinds of glass and wine in the bag. Everything had to be rinsed out. And I was a bloody mess.

The girl who was sweeping up said I should be careful driving home because if I got pulled over, it would be hard to convince a cop I had fallen and had wine spill on me . . .so maybe there was some suspicion? I have no idea.

A lady did walk by and say "What's going on here?" and I joked we were partying . . . it was all just very surreal . . .I frequent this store a few times a week and I would think they would know me as an "upstanding citizen," but who knows what goes on in people's heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement