Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times

Advertisements

Not me.

Now that I've managed to get well past my sell by date, I'll do as I please thank you very much.

I raised a family, got up and went to work a 5 in the morning for years, took care of everybody else's needs, paid the bills-- dammit if I feel like swilling down more vodka than the AMA recommends they can kiss my grits. Russki Standart, good for everything that ails you.

And to add to that, I intend to retire to south America in a couple of years, and spend the rest of my good days drinking cheap beer on some out of the way beach. Gave it an advance rehearsal last fall and it suited me perfectly. Paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM

260 posts, read 337,748 times
None. Not in years. Don't like the taste of alcohol and it's healthier not to drink.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
So far, everyone is either very moderate or non-imbibing.
Well.... Neg didn't actually say how big that glass was, just that she drinks 2/3 of it....

I guess I'm another moderate drinker. The days when I wanted to get drunk are long behind me. I can't go crazy with alcohol even if I wanted to, due to health reasons. Plus, it doesn't take all that much to make me sleepy these days.

The amount I drink varies, though--some months we do a lot of travelling or we go to a lot of family events, and then we tend to have more. Some months I have almost none at all, for one reason or another. In the summer we tend to drink more beer--there's just something about the combo of we like BBQ's, baseball games, and beer that we like. When we were in Italy we drank a glass or two of wine with dinner every single day--since coming home we've hardly had any at all. Mostly we drink wine or beer, but on occasion I'll make some foo foo drink, usually with vodka.

BTW the thread title has me curious. Are you solely interested in boomers' drinking habits or the habits of retirees in general?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Hardly ever

We were somewhere the other night and felt quite forced to have a drink of something. I was so stunned I didn't know what to ask for so I went with the white wine and barely drank any of it.

So, I guess we're not big drinkers --- need to become more social though.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well.... Neg didn't actually say how big that glass was, just that she drinks 2/3 of it....

I guess I'm another moderate drinker. The days when I wanted to get drunk are long behind me. I can't go crazy with alcohol even if I wanted to, due to health reasons. Plus, it doesn't take all that much to make me sleepy these days.

The amount I drink varies, though--some months we do a lot of travelling or we go to a lot of family events, and then we tend to have more. Some months I have almost none at all, for one reason or another. In the summer we tend to drink more beer--there's just something about the combo of we like BBQ's, baseball games, and beer that we like. When we were in Italy we drank a glass or two of wine with dinner every single day--since coming home we've hardly had any at all. Mostly we drink wine or beer, but on occasion I'll make some foo foo drink, usually with vodka.

BTW the thread title has me curious. Are you solely interested in boomers' drinking habits or the habits of retirees in general?
I probably should have made it "retirees." I just don't like that word anymore.

Just edited it . . .

Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
one or two glasses of white wine a month-usually when i'm at a restaurant. in the summer months, especialy if i'm eating at an outdoor restaurant, preferably on the water, the drink of choice might be one gin and tonic. i never drank much even when younger, and i can't say i feel comfortable being with people for whom drinking is a major part of life. it's never been of huge interest, and not a part of my history.

catsy girl

Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Both of my parents were alcoholics so I'm very careful as there is a genetic predisposition and I know I have an addictive personality. Can't remember the last time I got sloshed but it had to be several decades ago. No repeat performance wanted! I can nurse one drink for hours.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
My wife and I have grown very fond of Sparkling Moscato by Bevlamo of Italy.

Really very good and we purchase it as Sam's Club for around $12/bottle.

We love our Friday nights when we'll skip dinner, make some healthy snacks like artichoke dip or maybe some smoked salmon and share a whole bottle between us.

There is ALWAYS two cold bottles in the refrigerator. Even now, there are two cold bottles and I am a thinking....

That's all of our drinking, maybe a bottle a week.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
On birthdays and New Year's. Once in a while at a sidewalk cafe in the summer. Mostly I don't like the taste of it and it's probably not that good for you. Expensive too for really good wine.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Not me.

Now that I've managed to get well past my sell by date, I'll do as I please thank you very much.

I raised a family, got up and went to work a 5 in the morning for years, took care of everybody else's needs, paid the bills-- dammit if I feel like swilling down more vodka than the AMA recommends they can kiss my grits. Russki Standart, good for everything that ails you.

And to add to that, I intend to retire to south America in a couple of years, and spend the rest of my good days drinking cheap beer on some out of the way beach. Gave it an advance rehearsal last fall and it suited me perfectly. Paradise.
Sounds like a good plan.....

You know? When people that dont drink wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel for the rest of the day... Dean Martin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement