Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

If I moved to a "dream" location in my 60s, I'd have nowhere to go back TO later, or when health declines. It is tempting to dream of leaving my past behind and being somewhere new (my own thoughts on moving) but it seems to have taken my whole life to feel a sense of home, where I am now. Downsides is largely expense and no public transport, although I think I could make a last move in my current area for public transport.
I guess I won't find a retirement community centered on horseback riding after all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The list above is pretty good, though more often than not the various line items present mild to serious conflict in choices. For example, iving in a region of harsh long winters and high taxes (more typically high in the north) that also has the grandkids is a tough one. In my state we have some of the very best medical in the world and plenty of arts and cultural events, so those are a plus. You just have to be a wealthier (or inventive) retiree to live here. If you put all of the above on a balance sheet often the answer is staring you in the face: stay put.

My point is that the items listed are the things that I have encountered in people that I have talked to. It is sort of a list of discussion points. Each person or couple has to make a decision as to which of those factors in most important. What gets troublesome is when a couple cannot agree on which factors are the most important.

There are a lot of us who living in a place determined by our employer to a certain extent. We have no familial connections keeping us in an area.

One challenge that a lot of people need to consider is whether the choice you make now will make sense in ten or twenty years. For example, both sets of our parents would love to have us move to their locale. However, it is very likely that they will be gone in 5-10 years.

Choosing a retirement location is like choosing a spouse. There are dozens of choices that will work amongst the millions out there. You will never find the perfect location but you have to find one that works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement