Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM

22 posts, read 52,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Fixing SS should be easy. Simply tax all payroll income, not just the first X dollars (this may actually lower the overall SS tax rate), and add a means test that would reduce benefits for wealthier retirees - e.g., phase it out for anyone whose annual income (including other retirement plans) is over 4x the poverty level.
I just need to know the rationalization, I work hard, educate myself and make something of my life, now the fix is to tax all my earnings and pay in thousands of dollars for SS yet when I retire, someone with rose colored glasses says I get nothing back of what I paid in, cause it's not fair? If that's the case, why work hard, as there's no incentive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,109,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivo View Post
I just need to know the rationalization, I work hard, educate myself and make something of my life, now the fix is to tax all my earnings and pay in thousands of dollars for SS yet when I retire, someone with rose colored glasses says I get nothing back of what I paid in, cause it's not fair? If that's the case, why work hard, as there's no incentive.
Thus the modern view of the world and life as predicted by Ayn Rand.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM

863 posts, read 798,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do you have security clearance? If so congrats for living your life so you could. That is worth bucks just there, others should but many don't.
Yes...a high one and its still current

Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,701,057 times
Quote:
Thus the modern view of the world and life as predicted by Ayn Rand.
I was thinking more of narcissism -- but Ayn Rand does extremely well also.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Yes...a high one and its still current
Ok so the world can understand, I do but hopefully they do. You have a high skill set which is in demand. You have a high security clearance which is in demand so you have limited job competition and a much in demand skill set. It is hard to see the government doing much out sourcing overseas of work that requires a security clearance. Good for you and hopefully you will be career a model for others just starting out. Are you in the DC area if so finding decent housing there for 168K is a joke.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Those who have the skills and wisdom to develop in demand skill sets and continue to develop them. Also if he was a 1099 he was responsible for the full payroll tax and had no fringe benefits etc etc. you mention buying a nice house for 168k. You might want to ask him where in the country he was employed and what housing cost there were. That is the relevant reality not yours. Another question for you is why you think his working salary is tax free? Just inquiring because I didn't pick that up and want to.
I earned that salary training military and police forces in the middle east. Away from my family for 18 months, with 2, 30 day visits home. Some of it was tax free, some of it was not.

I did what I thought was necessary to provide the best possible life I could for my family, which was making enough money so that my son could graduate from college debt free. That was the only way I could see to setting him on a path to success without an enormous debt hanging over his head.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Ok so the world can understand, I do but hopefully they do. You have a high skill set which is in demand. You have a high security clearance which is in demand so you have limited job competition and a much in demand skill set. It is hard to see the government doing much out sourcing overseas of work that requires a security clearance. Good for you and hopefully you will be career a model for others just starting out. Are you in the DC area if so finding decent housing there for 168K is a joke.
I am not. I live in SC, where housing is actually affordable. We already had our home, so I did this for other reasons. See my other post.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I earned that salary training military and police forces in the middle east. Away from my family for 18 months, with 2, 30 day visits home. Some of it was tax free, some of it was not.

I did what I thought was necessary to provide the best possible life I could for my family, which was making enough money so that my son could graduate from college debt free. That was the only way I could see to setting him on a path to success without an enormous debt hanging over his head.
Your last sentence says it all. Says it all and thus you reaped the fruit of your choices. That's the problem after 30-40 years some folks who thought they were the king 40 years ago are finding out that they aren't. 99% of jocks at age 17 are ex jocks within 7 years. Most geeks are still geeky after thirty years and getting paid well to do so. You evaluated and made decisions others didn't and now enjoy.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I am not. I live in SC, where housing is actually affordable. We already had our home, so I did this for other reasons. See my other post.
You retired? If so congrats you have done it well. If not you have still done it well.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You retired? If so congrats you have done it well. If not you have still done it well.
Yes, I retired. Working again at another government job. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement