Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times

Advertisements

It's merely a suggestion at this time. Wonder if it will really get any traction. At some point the SSA and others are going to have to face reality, as are up-and-coming retirees.

No more Social Security at 62? « Bankrate, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Either Social Security becomes better funded, or benefits are reduced. There is no third choice. If holding off offering Social Security until FRA helps keep the across-the-rest-of-the-board cuts in benefits to a more manageable amount, then it's a good idea. 62 year olds generally have more options than 72 year olds.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:33 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
The argument against raising the minimum age would be that some people who have had physically demanding jobs may simply be too worn out to continue on until a later age. Examples of such physically demanding careers might be brick layers, waitresses, blacksmiths, miners, etc.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,135 times
I think it's a good idea. One that would best keep social security solvent.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,916,017 times
Thanks for the link, Curmudgeon. I have read it and I especially appeciated the brief summary of the newly released annual trustees' report. So in addition to the suggestions for fixes, the article has good factual information.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,135 times
I just read it, too. I agree about phasing the early retirement age in. 64 seems reasonable. I don't understand how
there are so many people on disability. Why do children who have borderline issues collect disability?
I also see people work who are 'disabled'.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I just read it, too. I agree about phasing the early retirement age in. 64 seems reasonable. I don't understand how
there are so many people on disability. Why do children who have borderline issues collect disability?
I also see people work who are 'disabled'.
I also sometimes wonder why we have so many people on disability. My son is on it, for good reasons, and one of my brothers was too. Also for good reasons. My brother worked in construction and HVAC but after an auto accident that nearly killed him he couldn't do it anymore. It took a couple of years to get it but he finally rec'd a little over $700 mo. and he WAS allowed to work...if he could find a job he could do...and make about $700 mo.. They also deducted child support from his check. My son could find a part time job, if he wanted to, and is allowed to earn up to XXX$s a month but he'd rather complain about being broke than do that. Sigh. I do often wonder, though, how many people on disability really shouldn't be on it. If I get a hang nail can I apply??

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
I suspect that there is less exploitation of disability insurance than critics claim and more exploitation of disability insurance than the exploiters claim. Regardless, if the critics ever get their act together, on this, and document the precise level and vectors of abuse, I'll be among those clamoring for disability reform. Until then, the assumption has to be that the critics are just spewing self-serving rhetoric - saying whatever they think will pad their own bank accounts the most. There's a lot of that going around.

I think one thing that does have a major impact on this issue is the extent to which jobs are reliant on physical capability. I cannot help wonder if that aspect combined with how much American productivity has skyrocketed in the last thirty years has resulted in a lot more disability than we've experienced in the past. In a high productivity environment, physical performance is reasonably applied as a more stringent criteria. Furthermore, the risks are higher. Both of those things could prompt employers to discriminate against older worker in physical jobs, with the performance aspect and the risk aspect each serving as sufficient defense against age discrimination charges. Either that, or perhaps these things have prompted workers to push their bodies beyond what is reasonable given their ages, in the interest of retaining employment. Productivity, itself, perhaps has reclassified what used to be considered adequate physicality as disability.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Disability seems to be the "acceptable" form of welfare. I know of too many people who have been on welfare and then apply for disability. Same premise.....a steady check coming in with no effort involved.

There are people with genuine need for SS disability but way too many who game the system. Claiming mental illness seems to be popular.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I suspect that there is less exploitation of disability insurance than critics claim and more exploitation of disability insurance than the exploiters claim. Regardless, if the critics ever get their act together, on this, and document the precise level and vectors of abuse, I'll be among those clamoring for disability reform. Until then, the assumption has to be that the critics are just spewing self-serving rhetoric - saying whatever they think will pad their own bank accounts the most. There's a lot of that going around.

I think one thing that does have a major impact on this issue is the extent to which jobs are reliant on physical capability. I cannot help wonder if that aspect combined with how much American productivity has skyrocketed in the last thirty years has resulted in a lot more disability than we've experienced in the past. In a high productivity environment, physical performance is reasonably applied as a more stringent criteria. Furthermore, the risks are higher. Both of those things could prompt employers to discriminate against older worker in physical jobs, with the performance aspect and the risk aspect each serving as sufficient defense against age discrimination charges. Either that, or perhaps these things have prompted workers to push their bodies beyond what is reasonable given their ages, in the interest of retaining employment. Productivity, itself, perhaps has reclassified what used to be considered adequate physicality as disability.
One thing to consider is that of first world "civilized" nations, the U.S. runs dead last, or close to it, in terms of "holiday" time for workers and reasonable work hours in a week. The added stress, both phsically and mentally/emotionally takes its toll. Constantly increased production standards may be fine for companys' bottom lines but take their toll on workers who burn out more quickly and at younger ages. Of course, Japan may give us a run for our money.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-04-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement