Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,877 times

Advertisements

I know that climate, especially the search for a warmer or more pleasant climate, is one major consideration in where to retire to. But I know that there are other factors, such as safety, that might be even yet important. Is it fair to say that an even more over-arching factor in where retirees choose to live than the search for a warmer winter climate or other amenities is whether the destination is in the same country as the place of origin, with the same language, legal system, culture, medical insurance, etc.? (Thus, for example, northern Americans - along with Canadians - go as far away as Florida or Arizona and southern Australians [e.g. from Melbourne] go to Queensland - not a terribly short distance either, and some Canadians go all the way to Victoria, British Columbia, whereas Britons go largely to the southern English coast - despite some going to Mediterranean areas such as the Costa del Sol and the French Riviera that are warmer than anywhere in the UK.)

Could another possible factor be whether it's the winters or the summers that are harsher in a given area? (For example, whereas in northern North America and northern Europe winters are bitterly cold or utterly sunless - or both - and summers can get hot and humid but are otherwise pleasant, many parts of South America have hot and humid summers and mild/cool but manageable winters. Southeastern Australia - e.g. Melbourne - does have about the same winter temperatures as parts of South America, but summer temperatures are on average somewhat lower and more pleasant - barring heat waves that come time to time pushing the temperatures to the upper 30s/lower 40s C.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Until china and india reduce their pollution, I couldn't make a guess about what the weather will be like for the rest of this summer let alone further into retirement. Our climate is changing so it is roll of the dice regarding the weather regardless of your location.

However, for us, the American SW is not a consideration as we don't care for the desert or high temps. Safety and health care are serious considerations which makes me cautious about leaving the U.S., but our medical care system will be strained to the max under the new world order.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,877 times
So it seems, then, that in figuring out all these retirement migration statistics, one should probably consider whether the source regions (e.g. the snowbelt) have worse winters or summers AND whether the destination regions (e.g. the sunbelt) have better winters or summers. For example, New York and Chicago have harsher winters than summers (even though the summers can get hot and humid too), and Florida and Arizona have better winters than summers (even though it could freeze up from time to time there too). Similarly, northern Europe has worse winters than summers, while the Mediterranean has more pleasant winters than summers.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
There are 'areas within areas' that you might find acceptable. For instance: We live in Massachusetts, known for it's harsh New England winters but we live on Cape Cod and we almost never get the snow that the rest of the state gets. When we do get snow the salt air melts it quickly. Our summers are generally about 10 degrees cooler than Boston and our winters run about 10 degrees warmer. There are exceptions, weather is weather, but all in all, we are happy with our choice (weatherwise) to live on Cape Cod. If I have to list a negative (again weatherwise) it's the windy spring season.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
I think for many retirees weather and climate IS a big factor where they will live. But I think more and more these days heading into the future cost of living and tax issues will be more of an issue and the most important factor vs. any other factor.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I agree-cost of living and readily available medical care seem to be becoming more important than weather.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I think for many retirees weather and climate IS a big factor where they will live. But I think more and more these days heading into the future cost of living and tax issues will be more of an issue and the most important factor vs. any other factor.
Totally agree. Figure the cost of your property taxes, water + sewer now, figure the rate at which these have risen over say the past 10 years (the rate probably rising much more in the last few years than years ago), and you can reasonably project what these taxes alone will be in another 5 to 10 years. I have a friend in NH who owns a home similar to mine with similar land size, and she pays $8K per year. She figures that at the rate her taxes are going up, it will be out of sight by the time she's 70. Others will argue that there is no state income tax or sales tax in NH, but that is so in other states (MA has no state income or pension tax, there is no tax on groceries, and no tax on clothing up to a certain amount). One should look at the big picture not just for today but at 10 years out when trying to decide affordability in senior years.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Recent newspaper articles in this area [Northern Maine] have been discussing various trends in the US Census, showing migration between states. We have a struggling economy and 18 - 25 year old people are leaving Maine in very high numbers. At the same time 45+ year old people migrate to this state in equal numbers.

I moved to Maine after I retired. Neither I nor my wife are bothered by cooler temps, we both do not like hot.

A depressed economy makes it difficult to earn a sustainable wage. However a depressed economy also means lower home prices, lower cost-of-living. So for those of us on fixed-incomes, we do better in regions where the working class are struggling.

I would be very hesitant to settle anywhere that taxed my income.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I know that climate, especially the search for a warmer or more pleasant climate, is one major consideration in where to retire to. But I know that there are other factors, such as safety, that might be even yet important. Is it fair to say that an even more over-arching factor in where retirees choose to live than the search for a warmer winter climate or other amenities is whether the destination is in the same country as the place of origin, with the same language, legal system, culture, medical insurance, etc.? (Thus, for example, northern Americans - along with Canadians - go as far away as Florida or Arizona and southern Australians [e.g. from Melbourne] go to Queensland - not a terribly short distance either, and some Canadians go all the way to Victoria, British Columbia, whereas Britons go largely to the southern English coast - despite some going to Mediterranean areas such as the Costa del Sol and the French Riviera that are warmer than anywhere in the UK.)

Could another possible factor be whether it's the winters or the summers that are harsher in a given area? (For example, whereas in northern North America and northern Europe winters are bitterly cold or utterly sunless - or both - and summers can get hot and humid but are otherwise pleasant, many parts of South America have hot and humid summers and mild/cool but manageable winters. Southeastern Australia - e.g. Melbourne - does have about the same winter temperatures as parts of South America, but summer temperatures are on average somewhat lower and more pleasant - barring heat waves that come time to time pushing the temperatures to the upper 30s/lower 40s C.)
I would say that the over-arching factor is where do you really want to live for a variety of factors - ideally previous experience living there or someplace like it or visiting often in all seasons.

Weather was a factor in our move (we wanted "worse" weather - four distinct seasons) but we moved as much to a culture as to a place, if not more.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-04-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 03:30 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Recent newspaper articles in this area [Northern Maine] have been discussing various trends in the US Census, showing migration between states. We have a struggling economy and 18 - 25 year old people are leaving Maine in very high numbers. At the same time 45+ year old people migrate to this state in equal numbers.

I moved to Maine after I retired. Neither I nor my wife are bothered by cooler temps, we both do not like hot.

A depressed economy makes it difficult to earn a sustainable wage. However a depressed economy also means lower home prices, lower cost-of-living. So for those of us on fixed-incomes, we do better in regions where the working class are struggling.

I would be very hesitant to settle anywhere that taxed my income.

I love how you say "cooler temps" for Northern Maine. Although, my mother, in Vermont, has told me on and off how the winters are sometimes really bad and other times, not so much.

I love Maine and for many years have wanted to move there, even before retiring. In a way... I still pine for Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement