Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You're confusing the concept of a "vacation home" with a retiree owning two residences and living in each for a portion of the year. These are two completely different subjects/issues.
How many of you have second homes?
Either now or in the past? If you do have a second home, have you enjoyed it or was it too much of a hassle? MSNBC did a segment yesterday that Boomers who have second homes usually end up regretting it, either because of financial reasons or the extra responsibility.

The OP posted the above in bold. Whether it is a "second home" or a "vacation home" it is still TWO homes, two places, and the OP did not mention living in one or the other for any particular amount of time. They might be two different issues for you but I was responding to the OP's comment/question about owning a second home which we did. Happily, I did not wind up regretting it as I sold out at the top of the market thru sheer luck. The extra hassle of owning the place convinced me that dual ownership of anything to do with real estate was not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
I understand the point MMOB was trying to make and it may be a regional way of thinking. In some areas where the coast or mountains are a couple of hours away folks have what they consider vacation homes at say the beach. They go there on weekends or four extended summer vacations. Other people have what they consider second homes a distance away perhaps in Florida that is for extended times of living. They look at them differently and we are still trying to figure out what to call ours. I have had folks back in the DC area ask us if it is a second home or vacation home. Is it a second home if you rent it out for part of the year? Perhaps not relevant to the OP question but it can impact our reactions to that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement