Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Definitely the snarkiest version of "I agree with what you said" that I can remember seeing.

Since I noted my shift away from landlines was 10 years ago, I'll assume yours was 50 or 60 then

Meanwhile, if you're collecting social security, no wonder you think it's wonderful. Those of us back in our earning years are fighting a rearguard action to preserve even half of what you're enjoying. Care to help out at all? Thought not.
You know what they say about "assume," don't you. And don't presume what my response to anything will be. As for the rest:

1) Obviously you haven't been around much.
2) We still have a land line. We live in the country. Cell phones and GPS can be sketchy. We also don't have smart phones because both they and the data services that support them are expensive.
3) Yes I do think it's wonderful, although I don't recall saying that. We both paid into it perhaps for more years than you've been alive. As for the fate of yours, pure speculation and I'm not about to bet on a dark horse. You and your whiney ilk are on your own, for now at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,784 times
Q. E. D.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sorta funny about smart phones as I am typing on one now while the wife drives to the beach. Couldn't live out I don't think. Back on a few now off to
Facebook
And it's obvious that you are.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,623,155 times
curmudgeon..

Might be why I don't drink and drive, smoke dope ever or pay attention to most stats.

And just an fyi .......

On that third thing, that's good you don''t do dope. Just remember if you happened to be doing cocaine curmudgeon it would be God's way of saying you are makin' waaayyyyyyyyyy waaaayyyyyyyy too much money!......

courtesy of Robin Williams..that jokester..;-)....

Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
curmudgeon..

Might be why I don't drink and drive, smoke dope ever or pay attention to most stats.

And just an fyi .......

On that third thing, that's good you don''t do dope. Just remember if you happened to be doing cocaine curmudgeon it would be God's way of saying you are makin' waaayyyyyyyyyy waaaayyyyyyyy too much money!......

courtesy of Robin Williams..that jokester..;-)....
Thankfully, making waaayyyy too much money is one of those things I've never had a problem with!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,013,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
And of that 56% what percent have a smart phone but dont have a landline?

I always find it interesting when the subject of saving money comes up people are quick to blame the "iPhone" (or phones like it) but 25 years ago no one said "oh yeah?? how many phones do you have in your house????"

Believe it or not it is possible people traded the cost of landlines for the cost of cell phones. Also, an iPhone or comparable Android is $199-$299 and may times it is FREE. In the early 90's cordless phones were in that price range (I know because I sold them), but never FREE and people had more than one then too.

Cant blame all of the world's problems on smartphones.
Yeah, the smart phone has become the new anecdote of financial excess in discussions such as this. If someone from another era had no knowledge of the,smart phone, and just read some of these threads, they would think the phones cost $50k with a $1000 per month service fee.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
They didn't feel the need to run out to Best Buy to get the latest electronics equipment every other day.
Personal austerity, the solution to most people's financial woes, will never be popular.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Personal austerity, the solution to most people's financial woes, will never be popular.
Of course not. It just makes too much sense. Besides, deprive yourself? Don't be ridiculous!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,432,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I dont know math. My first car I bought cost a whopping $500.00 and she was 2 years old. A pretty baby blue 69 Chevy Impala convertable

I know cars were cheaper then, but not that cheap. A two year old Chevy Impala convertible in 1971 would have been worth at least $2000 in reasonable condition. What was wrong with it?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,097,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I know cars were cheaper then, but not that cheap. A two year old Chevy Impala convertible in 1971 would have been worth at least $2000 in reasonable condition. What was wrong with it?
Actually nothing was wrong with it that I know of. I know it had 4 retread tires but nothing else I knew of. I kept it for 2 years so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement