Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 PM

676 posts, read 937,666 times

Advertisements

I didn't know where to post this, hope it's ok. We are in our 60's and my husband needs 2 rotator cuff repairs or new shoulders and at least one hip relpacement but he said he would have to be crawling before he would do any of that. Has anyone out there had any of these parts replaced ? I know it has to be a lot simpler these days. He is terrified of having any of this done. Any encouragement would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I didn't know where to post this, hope it's ok. We are in our 60's and my husband needs 2 rotator cuff repairs or new shoulders and at least one hip relpacement but he said he would have to be crawling before he would do any of that. Has anyone out there had any of these parts replaced ? I know it has to be a lot simpler these days. He is terrified of having any of this done. Any encouragement would be appreciated.
Has he tried Accupuncture? Be very careful of shoulder surgery. Do your research about risk benefit of pain relief v. Range of motion.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
The husband and quite a few people we know that have attempted repairs to the rotator cuff haven't had much success.
He, as well as many we know, have had knees or hips replaced and offhand I can't recall any that didn't end up saying the same thing...."Why did I wait so long"

Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
I have a friend who had both shoulders replaced and a knew in last three years. he had al done in Houston at joint hospital. One doctor does only shoulders another only knees.He recovered amazingly fast and now plays golf and normal activity ;no pain. My sister had hip replaced and then 10 days in rehab center to walk out like before with no pain now at all. She was 81 when she had it done after a fall. From what I can tell the place done by who and rehab is very important especially starting quickly after surgery. No one half to hour a day works at home every well for most.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 PM

720 posts, read 1,710,515 times
Hi----I'm 62, live in CT, and my friends call me the bionic woman. I've had both shoulders replaced. The first, I have full range of motion. The second I had extensive rotator cuff surgery done and was healing well until suddenly I had pain and less motion. For a reason still unknown, the blood supply was compromised in the top of the bone, and I then had a full replacement done with additional rotator cuff repair. Good recovery. My only limitation is I can't reach up 100% with one arm (muscle weakness) but it doesn't affect any part of my life (I guess if I played golf or tennis it MIGHT) Surgeon tried to talk me into further rotator cuff surgery to fine tune things, but it really doesn't affect my activities.
Both times, one night in the hospital, then home. I had to keep my arm in a sling 24/7, so got a power recliner to sleep in which worked out great. For the rotator cuff, one has to wait longer before a more intensive physical therapy is started, so the repaired areas heal, for a straight replacement you start outpatient physical therapy in a couple of weeks, but do simple exercises at home. The pain used to wake me up at night, and I couldn't raise my arms past my waist, so I'm glad I had the surgeries. I still have some achiness, but it's minor.

I also had both knees operated on at the same time,( 4 days in the hospital, then directly to an inpatient facility for rehab. 3 hours a day, like boot camp!!) After 2 weeks there, I could go up and down stairs and it's the best thing I ever did. No more electric scooter!
As a past home care nurse, I have to say that hip replacements always seemed to have the least pain and quickest recovery.
My shoulder surgeon operates out of Yale, in New Haven. My knee surgeons were in the same group, use a different hospital in New Haven. I am scheduled to have a total ankle replacement done in October at Yale.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Oh, and I started this surgical odyssey when I was 54. I have osteoarthritis all over.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Hips are very easy compared to knees and shoulders

Tell your hubby not to be afraid - he'll feel so much better that the surgeries will be worth it!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,062,154 times
My 86 y/o Mom fell and broke her hip two years ago. She had her hip replaced the day of the fall and had a remarkable recovery.

About a year later, she started to complain of shoulder/arm pain. The surgeons concluded that she had probably injured her rotator cuff when she fell. She had that repaired last October.

This summer she went golfing with my brother, her grandson caddied for her. She had a wonderful time!

Poodle...we have been calling my Mom the Bionic Woman for a couple of years. I think you take the title!

My Mom will now be "Bionic Woman 2"

Old 08-31-2013, 08:54 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,138,118 times
Have known many people who have had these surgeries done. Same reaction from all of them "had I known I would have had it done sooner." If his Dr's recommend the surgery he'd be much better if he gets it done.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Hip surgery is more successful on both easing pain and increasing range of motion. If all you want to do is ease pain shoulder surgery will do that. You may be locking in limited range of motion. I have an artificial knee on four years ago was a lock to replace both shoulders and was doing pre surgery rehab. That was of limited success when I started Acupuncture and started understanding Chi. I am no longer a candidate for surgery and now have much greater range of motion and limited pain. My ortho shakes his head and my acupuncturist brags. I was told by each surgery is a last resortt and will solve the pain but you could be creating irrevocable lost of range. I get a cortisone shot once a year in either one or both shoulders and have my own rehab program of Chi and exercise and miraculously detailing the cars. Not bad for two shoulders with serious bone on bone in each.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:02 AM

676 posts, read 937,666 times
WOW, I can't wait for my husband to read these. Thank you all for the info. I know he will be so relieved. God Bless all your new parts !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement