Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times

Advertisements

I have a new friend who is a retired physicist (genius) and has Aspergers. So, making friends is not easy, and finding things that stimulate his mind is not easy. He is not happy being retired. He enjoys reading, music and driving. He cannot participate in much activity (ex. walking, hiking, biking, golf, etc) because of constant pain due to an accident.

What do retired geniuses do with themselves? Most people suggest teaching or tutoring, but how do you get into that if you are disabled and don't have connections/references? He is single (divorced) and intends to stay that way and I wish there was something to give his life meaning again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times
I rather think you cannot find purpose/meaning for other people. That is a personal quest. He will have to find meaning for himself.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:45 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I think i would build a little atom smasher for my living room.

Or perhaps i would spend my time measuring the speed of light in a vacuum.

One question though. Do i use a hoover or an electrolux?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
He could build his own simulator, and then use it to be able to experience all the things he can't do anymore. And even if he has a har time making friends, I'll bet a lot of wannabe friends will visit to check it out (and try it for themselves). And that can be entertaining. Serious suggestion, by the way. If he needs additional computer hardware experience, I'd bet he could find another retiree nearby who would be interested in helping him.

If that doesn't sound interesting, how about building a variety of robots to help do the housework or just to amuse him?

And, of course, there are always the "write a book, write a song, learn to play a music instrument" type of suggestions.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I have a new friend who is a retired physicist (genius) and has Aspergers. So, making friends is not easy, and finding things that stimulate his mind is not easy. He is not happy being retired. He enjoys reading, music and driving. He cannot participate in much activity (ex. walking, hiking, biking, golf, etc) because of constant pain due to an accident.

What do retired geniuses do with themselves? Most people suggest teaching or tutoring, but how do you get into that if you are disabled and don't have connections/references? He is single (divorced) and intends to stay that way and I wish there was something to give his life meaning again.
Why does he need to retire?
Of course whoever he was working for I'm guessing don't have the funds to pay him anymore, but surely they can still make use of his brainpower for free? Or can't they still use him for consulting? With this world of infinite communication can't he still work online?
If physics is what interests him I'd guess he's still be happy to work a few hours if only as a hobby. It would give him something to think about.
Where does he live? I'm lucky enough to live near the Chabot Space Center which is always choc a block full of volunteers who can't wait to share their knowledge of the universe. Maybe something similar nearby?
I understand NASA still need help sifting through the data sent back by Kepler in searching for habitable planets. You can do this online.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Purpose? I'm not sure about that...but a challenging and fun hobby might suffice.

Amateur (HAM) Radio might be something he would find interesting. He could build his own equipment if he desires. It's a fasinating hobby that can be done rain or shine, day or night, summer or winter. He could communicate via voice, morse code, digital, computer, etc. with others all over planet Earth. He could bounce signals off the lunar surface, communicate via satellite, or communicate with others from a few miles away to as far away as the other side of our planet...

He could build a group of like-minded friends and communicate with other physicists from all over the world...and likely his choice of NASA astronanauts, novelists, world chess masters, space scientists, statesmen, movie directors/actors, news anchors, world-renowned architects, quantum engineers, test pilots, military generals, congressmen, governors, mayors, ambassadors, writers/authors, philosophers, theologians, kings, princes, doctors, Federal Reserve Board economists, distinquished professors, space chemists, geneticists, aerospace mathematicians, quantum mechanics/physicists, astronomers...you name it. He could have fun building his own radio station. And I'm sure he could find a genius or two that would keep him on his toes!!!

Last edited by highcotton; 09-03-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I rather think you cannot find purpose/meaning for other people. That is a personal quest. He will have to find meaning for himself.
I agree. You can suggest and suggest, as I've done with my brother (an engineer), but it's done no good.

On the other hand, my husband is, in fact, a retired physicist. He is lucky enough to be also a retired academic, so he still has an office at the university. He is involved in research projects, writes papers, speaks to conferences, does some consulting, has lunch with colleagues, and on and on. Even when we're in Florida for the winter he carries on much of this activity.

I have another friend who is a computer genius, and he is, ah, eccentric. He has all kinds of programming projects and software ideas on the go. Or he's learning a new computer language because of some kind of crazy idea he has. It keeps him busy.

Just some ideas for your friend. If he liked his work, he could be doing research, or writing papers. If he still has colleagues, he could be collaborating with them.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
or maybe do something with the creative side of his brain for a second career?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Mentor underprivileged kids that are in need and cannot afford tutoring. There are plenty that are brilliant, but circumstances do not favor them ever getting the education they should have.

And keep in mind that being in the same room, city, or country is no longer a roadblock.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
What do retired geniuses do with themselves?
Normally people just do what they enjoy. Why doesn't he do what he enjoys?

Quote:
He enjoys reading, music and driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement