Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times

Advertisements

Even though our families are not near I still decorate the house a little for different seasons
and holidays, just for myself....general stuff for spring, fall, summer, also Easter, Halloween,
Thanksgiving, Christmas...even if we will be away. The only big change is I gave my brother
our big tree and got a table top one...I don't know when I will want to stop doing this altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Oh yeah -- we never had kids, but Christmas is a biggie! Real tree, loads of presents, cookies, cooking, candy and as much magic as we can take.

I feel that hubby was shortchanged by his families attitude towards holidays. They did it but it was more an obligation/chore than a delight.

When we move in a few years we'll get a fake tree..... it will be silver with turquoise and pink decorations..... but it won't replace the real tree -- it'll be an addition. I already have the tree skirt made....

Old 09-21-2013, 05:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Hate to sound like scrooge here but I hate holiday decorations. I did them for the kids when they were little but to me they seem so artificial and often tasteless. I like fresh (real) pine branches with pine cones and red candles on a table, along with some tasteful mini-lights on in the front garden. The houses around here look like something Chevy Chase would cook up around holiday time, glaring, blaring and just annoying. I had to get room darkening shades to keep out the Santa and reindeer blinding lights from next door. I'm always glad when it all comes down.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:50 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Yes, we still decorate for the holidays even though our kids are living far from us. The neighbors get grouchy when we don't. The inside is decorated too...not ready to give it up yet. Makes us happy.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
When I had a "real" house I would make a wreath from fresh greens, set out the little wooden santa sleigh that my grandfather made, arrange cut glass bowls filled with pinecones and beautiful old ornaments. Big plaid bows on the stairway banister. Mistletoe on the front door. Real tree, etc.

Now, with a mini house I have a tabletop tree with lights already on it. A Charles Dickens house that lights up (dh's purchase), and a couple of white lights in the front windows. I love to decorate but I hated taking it all down again.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:17 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
I have 3 big norfolk pines that over winter indoors. They get a sprinkling of stars and lights to celebrate the solstice. I like forcing pots of paperwhites and, when I can find one that suits me, a poinsettia. I have a set of vintage nativity figures that make me happy.

I don't do Santa any more, but I do enjoy the season. I like remembering when the children were small and everything was exciting. Hearing "I'll be home for Christmas" always makes me cry. I like singing the old Christmas hymns even though I am not religious.

I like fruitcake and eggnog in small doses.

I try to stay out of the stores until just before Christmas. I wish they didn't start so early.

We never made a big deal of other holidays. They were mostly one day occasions.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Haven't in 8 years.

We always go away to see the kids over xmas.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Catknap; Is that YOUR house??? I love it. It is exactly what I wish I had. The charm of a home like that is my dream. Hopefully, some day.....

Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yes, we still decorate for the holidays even though our kids are living far from us. The neighbors get grouchy when we don't. The inside is decorated too...not ready to give it up yet. Makes us happy.

You have a great talent for decorating....it's beautiful!

Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hate to sound like scrooge here but I hate holiday decorations. I did them for the kids when they were little but to me they seem so artificial and often tasteless. I like fresh (real) pine branches with pine cones and red candles on a table, along with some tasteful mini-lights on in the front garden. The houses around here look like something Chevy Chase would cook up around holiday time, glaring, blaring and just annoying. I had to get room darkening shades to keep out the Santa and reindeer blinding lights from next door. I'm always glad when it all comes down.

I KNEW I liked you, NEG -- LOL -- I love Cattknap's home -- and I love all the great decorating others do around my neighborhood and town -- as long as I don't need room-darkening shades LOL -- but I don't want to do it. :-) Once the kids were all gone and I left my ex, I stopped decorating. I just don't want to live in a home that looks like Santa's Toy Shop. (I admit, though, I miss a big, real tree.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement