Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,688,244 times

Advertisements

Let's assume that in 7 years I expect to have a $20,000 expense. Currently I am putting $2,900 per year into a savings account which I am treating like an escrow account. At the end of 7 years I will have the $20,000 that I will need. I want to keep it liquid in case I need the money before 7 years. I am doing this to make certain the money is available when I need it and so that this money is allocated. For some reason it bothers me less to spend allocated funds.

When I am counting my net worth for retirement purposes, do I include the amount in this savings/escrow account? Or do I ignore the amount in this account because I am pretty certain I am going to have to spend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,925,326 times
Although a CPA would probably have a good technical answer, most of us here would give a "seat of the pants" answer. Mine would be don't count it. You don't expect it to be there seven years from now.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:46 PM

106,841 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Let's assume that in 7 years I expect to have a $20,000 expense. Currently I am putting $2,900 per year into a savings account which I am treating like an escrow account. At the end of 7 years I will have the $20,000 that I will need. I want to keep it liquid in case I need the money before 7 years. I am doing this to make certain the money is available when I need it and so that this money is allocated. For some reason it bothers me less to spend allocated funds.

When I am counting my net worth for retirement purposes, do I include the amount in this savings/escrow account? Or do I ignore the amount in this account because I am pretty certain I am going to have to spend it?

it is no different than any expense off in the future that will effect net worth once it finally happens. today its all your money ,in 20 years your net worth will reflect it.

its no different than knowing you will be giving wedding gifts to the kids, education expenses , rent you will pay for the next 40 years etc etc.etc.

your net worth only has meaning to you so if it makes you feel better count it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-31-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 04:37 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,688,244 times
Thank you.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM

6,629 posts, read 7,361,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post

Net worth is assets less liabilities. 20,000 - 20,000 = 0.
I would not count the 20,000 for retirement because you do not intend to spend it for retirement.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 PM

106,841 posts, read 109,092,448 times
It all depends what purpose you are calculating net worth.

I only count spendable liquid assets and when i owned a home i never counted it .others count it and they are not wrong.

We all have future liabilities in some form or another. Some go on forever and never end.

I prefer the snapshot approach. Whatever is there today is there and gets counted.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,948,194 times
I prefer to count every asset & every liability. To me, it's the only true complete picture of your financial profile.

I agree with Mathjak107, it's a snapshot at a point in time.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,599,354 times
Until it's spent its part of your net worth. That money may or may not be used. What if you're dead at 6.5 years. Now what? Money is still there you're gone. The only time I don't count money or things as part of my net worth is if I literally spent it and got nothing physical for it ( vacation or paid for dinner or bought gift for someone etc) or if I gave it away. Otherwise if it has value its net worth.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
any worth includes all assets of value. Certainly any cash including savings is count.that is why many keep savings accouts for car or other purchase n separate account; perception/allocated by saver.i have always done that with vehicles;pay off one and allocate payments to separate savings for next because I know its coming.Its allocated vehicle account.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:18 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,826 times
While you are saving the money, it IS part of your net worth: your total assets minus liabilities.

Question is, what are you spending the money on? Buying $20K worth of gold would mean you still have the same net worth as before the purchase. Buying $20K worth of clothing pretty much means your net worth is down $20K, minus any funds you recoup by selling the clothes later on ebay. Buying a $20K car that allows you to continue working may reduce your net worth slightly (you can't sell it for what you bought it for, usually), but that scenario is FAR smarter than having to borrow the $20K for the car and pay interest on it.

And education may be a good investment of $20K if you are getting a degree that you are sure will result in a better-paying job than you have now (and I don't know many fields where that is true). If you are spending the $20K to send a kid to college, your net worth just decreased by $20K--but that may be a good use of the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement