Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,695 times

Advertisements

So, I turn 65 on Feb 10. I work full time and have health insurance through my employer. I want to start getting SS and Medicare (A and B) and retire ASAP. I know now I'm supposed to sign up three months before I turn 65, but it's too late for that. The Medicare site says that my coverage will start the first day of the month of my birthday if I sign up the month before. But since I'm signing up for SS at the same time (which says allow three months), will it delay the start of my Medicare, or will they start at different times? And how soon will I know after signing up on the website? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Take a look at this Medicare webpage where it says:
"When you're first eligible for Medicare, you have a 7-month Initial Enrollment Period to sign up for Part A and/or Part B.
Example
For example, if you're eligible when you turn 65, you can sign up during the 7-month period that begins 3 months before the month you turn 65, includes the month you turn 65, and ends 3 months after the month you turn 65."

When can I sign up for Parts A & B? | Medicare.gov

If are going to continue working, have you decided if you are going to signup for Part B coverage right away, or wait til you no longer have employer health insurance ??

Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 6,695 times
Sorry, I was not clear enough. I am not going to continue working. The only reason I'm working is for the health insurance. As soon as I turn 65 (next month) I want to get Part B and start receiving social security. But I have not yet signed up for anything. If I sign up this week for both, will I be covered by Medicare on February 1st? Or will I have to wait until my social security is also approved?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
You would do well to call the nice folks at Social Security and ask them when your coverage will start. I signed up for Medicare last year, but it was within 3 months before my 65th birthday. You have a much shorter period of time to get coverage started. I have had occasion to talk with the people at Social Security a couple of times since then and have found them to be very nice and helpful, so give them a call. I expect they will be able to give you the information you need.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsgoldjerry View Post
Sorry, I was not clear enough. I am not going to continue working. The only reason I'm working is for the health insurance. As soon as I turn 65 (next month) I want to get Part B and start receiving social security. But I have not yet signed up for anything. If I sign up this week for both, will I be covered by Medicare on February 1st? Or will I have to wait until my social security is also approved?
Your coverage begins the following month. Go to your local SS office and enroll.
Quote:
If you sign up for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and/or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) during the first 3 months of your Initial Enrollment Period, your coverage starts the first day of your birthday month, unless your birthday is on the first day of the month.

http://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-chan...ge-starts.html
You still need a Medigap unless your employer is offering retiree coverage. 'Course, you can go without a Medigap - just need to be sure you're prepared to pay the 20% Medicare doesn't pay should you need anything major. If you don't enroll in a Medigap or MA w/in the first six months after enrolling in Part B, the insurers don't have to take you and can deny coverage due to preexisting conditions.
Quote:
The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during the 6-month period that begins on the first day of the month in which you're 65 or older and enrolled in Part B. For example, if you turn 65 and are enrolled in Part B in June, the best time for you to buy a Medigap policy is from June to November.

After this enrollment period, your option to buy a Medigap policy may be limited and it may cost more. Some states have additional open enrollment periods.

http://www.medicare.gov/supplement-o...#collapse-2227

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-22-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
you automatically become eligible for Medicare at 65. and its starts then.Part A is automatic and you chose part b and part D. Be sure to know penalty on coverage of part B and D if not otherwise covered.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Talking Medicare.gov is your friend

Your question is answered here:

When will my coverage start? | Medicare.gov

Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Your coverage begins the following month. Go to your local SS office and enroll. You still need a Medigap unless your employer is offering retiree coverage. 'Course, you can go without a Medigap - just need to be sure you're prepared to pay the 20% Medicare doesn't pay should you need anything major. If you don't enroll in a Medigap or MA w/in the first six months after enrolling in Part B, the insurers don't have to take you and can deny coverage due to preexisting conditions.

Is Medigap called something else...like Part D?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Is Medigap called something else...like Part D?
Part D is drug coverage - not a Medigap. Actually, if OP takes medication, he should consider the purchase of that, as well, or there will be a penalty for late enrollment. The more years he waits, the higher the penalty.

Medigap is privately purchased "gap" insurance to pay the 20% Medicare doesn't pay, including the hospital deductible which is significant, especially if one is hospitalized often. Medigap Plans F or G are expensive, although there are cost-sharing Medigaps available, as well. Premiums and carriers for Medigaps vary widely by state.

Medigap Plans w/options, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...gap-plans-.jpg

The other option is Medicare Advantage - administered by private insurance carriers. These often include drugs, but have more limited provider networks, often run as HMOs. We've got a number of threads on health insurance forum covering the differences between Medigaps/MAs.

Search for these insurance carriers and a tool for comparing Part D drug plans can be found here:

http://medicare.gov/

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-22-2014 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
So, I turn 65 on Feb 10. I work full time and have health insurance through my employer. I want to start getting SS and Medicare (A and B) and retire ASAP. I know now I'm supposed to sign up three months before I turn 65, but it's too late for that. The Medicare site says that my coverage will start the first day of the month of my birthday if I sign up the month before. But since I'm signing up for SS at the same time (which says allow three months), will it delay the start of my Medicare, or will they start at different times? And how soon will I know after signing up on the website? Thanks.
I signed up for both Medicare and SS at the same time when I turned 65- about 1.5 years ago. I don't think you're required to sign up for either of these three months before you're eligible, it's just that you can. I signed up for both about 6 weeks before I turned 65, ( about mid-June 2012) and was told coverage for both would begin on August 1. My birthday is in August.

You can sign up on the website if you want to, I opted to sign up over the phone with a representative from our local SS office- you call them, they will make an appointment to call you back at a specific time and take your information, and enroll you in SS and/or Medicare. Either way, I don't think your enrolling in both SS and Medicare at the same time should delay your starting either program.

I"d imagine you get some sort of confirmation that you've successfully enrolled in SS/Medicare ( may be two different sites for that, I don't know), but you'll also get the information in the mail in a confirmation letter.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement