Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:33 AM

19 posts, read 43,526 times

Advertisements

I need to move out of the Bay Area within the next year because it's too expensive here to retire. I'm trying to figure where to move to. I grew up in Michigan and love the summers up north, but I don't want to live in a winter there. I think about Florida because I imagine there are lots of retired men/women down there. I've lived in Colorado and like the mountains very much and hiking, etc. I'm so frustrated because I want a partner (male) in my life again and I think men in CA are just too spoiled with all the women here. I want a more traditional down to earth midwesterner type or mountain man. I want a community to be involved in. I wish I could afford to buy into a cohousing community but I can't . Any ideas out there?
Thanks for listening!

Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Areas where the predominant employment is traditionally masculine, like ranching, mining, Alaska, Wyoming, etc. Of course, culturally, if you're used to the Bay Area... the writer Gretel Erlich married a rancher in Wyoming who she met at the Wyoming Film Festival, and then after many years and a divorce, married a retired professor in Wyoming. (Hey, she got two of 'em!)
That's how it would work by the numbers- areas where there are more men than women, and that would usually be because of the nature of the work (why most expensive cities have so many women- the type of work available).
What do I know. My ideal man would be a carpenter who dropped out of college or, at this point in my life, a veterinarian. Maybe two, the way my dogs are going. Best wishes.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
maybe check single web site-not with the idea of getting involved with someone but looking at locations. Just kind of keep track of where the type of guy you are looking for live.

My opinion, you're putting the cart before the horse. Find a place you can do the things you want to do first, then you can always join groups/clubs or maybe just meet others people that enjoy that too.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
IMHO, I'd suggest you find a place you want to live and enjoy your life and make the men thing secondary. Fact is, after 60, men might be interest in dates or a casual thing, but nothing serious. They want to pursue their interests too. Plus, they know the odds are in their favor. There are a lot fewer of them than there are available women. My wife works with two women in their late 50's desperate to find a man. One has found a guy and is getting married soon. He's 76, multiple health problems and can't really do much, bad ticker and all. The other woman is hitting nothing but guys trying to use her. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The other woman is hitting nothing but guys trying to use her.
I wonder how widespread this is.

IMO, common-interest clubs are good bets. Photography or hiking or skiing or cuisine. Meeting in groups seems more natural for older folks to find a partner.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforachangefromcity View Post
I need to move out of the Bay Area within the next year because it's too expensive here to retire.
Does this mean that at 60 you are still a renter? If not a renter... you'll probably be far better off
sticking where you know everything and generally like it. Try sharing your existing home for additional
income or shift to a less expensive property near to THERE... F'rinstance Davis or Sac.
Quote:
I'm so frustrated because I want a partner (male) in my life again...
Be careful what you wish for.
Quote:
and I think men in CA are just too spoiled with all the women here.
Nah... we're all spoiled pretty much the same amount everywhere.
But you do have some objectively tough competition.

Quote:
I want a more traditional down to earth midwestern type or mountain man.
I want a community to be involved in.
I wish I could afford to buy into a co-housing community but I can't.

Any ideas out there?
Create your own.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
Oh my. This post has so many problems associated with it.
Why do you so much want a male in your life at this time in your life? How was it for you before? Were you married? Divorced? Widowed? I do think women who aren't desperate are much more likely to end up with a male partner than those who NEED a man. As others have said, first, pick a place you want to live and get involved in activities there. Meet people, make friends, volunteer, and stop thinking so much about this supposed male. At this age, we are so set in our ways that its difficult to partner up with someone and be compatible. One idea is meet up groups. Another is dating sites on line. To get info about cities with more men than women, citydata has this on line. Just put in the city and you can see number of men vs. women. It's never 50-50 though. Not at this age. JMHO

Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 AM

134 posts, read 158,329 times
I agree with finding the place first, and then encourage you to get involved with things you enjoy, perhaps focusing on ones that more men might be involved in. I think nothing is wrong with acknowledging that you would like to have a relationship~ I know I'm the same way. I found mine through cycling (many more men than women, and yes, I gladly accepted any help when I had a flat or offered a wheel in a head wind.)

If you like hiking, join hiking clubs or meet-ups. Would you be interested in shooting? I recently learned, and the people are really down-to-earth and pretty wonderful, and the (predominantly) men fit the idea I have when I read your preference of 'traditional down to earth midwesterner type or mountain man'

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 11,837 times
Well, I'm now pushing 60, and thinking about my eventual retirement at 62.

To the poster who replied: "Still a renter at 60?" Why not? A lot easier to move when you're renting, don't have to think about the hassles of ownership or selling, if you choose to move. Not to mention the taxes that always increase, while your income doesn't.

To the original poster - Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for. PhX Barb said it best: Look for a place that you want to live, and get involved in activities there. Maybe you might find a compatible male friend through some of these activities once you settle in to your new town or city.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,840 times
I used to do nails near this place in Pembroke pines florida called Park Place and I did a lot of ladies nails that were single. They would have dates and then boyfriends.
The weather is beautiful here and the ladies had lots of social events that they went to. We at the salon used to say it was like they were all in HS all over again.
I think the single bedroom apts there are sold for 100k/150 and above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement