Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 24,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
. Tens of square miles of "Officers Housing" were just way too much conformity. Very nice people but the only bar at the bowling alley/rec hall only served Budweiser products. Predictability is one thing but that was ridiculous.

GregW - You must be a 'plant' for some other retirement community. I don't understand what you mean by Officer Housing unless the government provides some very expensive housing. You can get anything from a manufactured home for 80K to a 4000 sq foot home worth over 1 million in The Villages.

As far as booze and beer go you can get anything you want almost anywhere in The Villages. I did have a Bud product (Amber Boch) when i was there last week but I also had many imports and many (too many probably) mixed drinks of all types!

The Villages isn't for everyone. It does get crowded in the winter months and it is getting VERY large. But you don't need to do everything and be hyper active if you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Villages Type of Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Where is Top of the World?

Are there other communities like The Villages in other states? (No further north than North Carolina or east of Tennessee).

Thanks for suggestions (We are looking at Cary, NC, Greenville, SC and outside of Atlanta).
Atlanta area: We have visited the "Villages of Deaton Creek" and also the one at Lake Oconee--both Sun City properties. We liked Deaton Creek a lot. There is not a whole lot of commercial development around it but there are some shopping centers. It's fairly close to Lake Lanier and about 15 miles from the HUGE Mall of Georgia. The amenity center is large and mostly complete. So far about 700 people live there (just a couple of years old). It is north of Atlanta.

Sun City Lake Oconee is in the beginning stages. It's fairly far east of Atlanta. The amenity center still being built. Not too many houses there yet. It is on the beautiful Lake Oconee, which doesn't seem to have suffered from our drought here in ATL. They will have a boat dock, if you're a boating person. I suspect at least a portion of the homes will be weekend and vacation homes for people who live in ATL and use the lake on weekends. So it may have the "snowbird" effect.

Good luck on your choice.

Last edited by staywarm2; 05-16-2008 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement