Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 59.75%
I drink decaf only 11 6.92%
I drink both 30 18.87%
I don't touch the stuff 23 14.47%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

AND - I went out looking at coffee makers - holy moly - the prices are crazy.
Coffee seems to taste different with different methods of making it. I really don't like the individual-cup machines, seems like a waste and I don't want heat coming in contact with the plastic containers though the taste is good. If I make coffee, I make two cups because invariably I'll have both. The drip method produces the least taste for me. I favor the perk method, and to put a fine line on it, not the electric pot perk, which I use now, but perking coffee in an old fashioned pot on a gas flame. The best coffee imo is the perked coffee in the enamel pot made over a campfire. Maybe it's the outdoor element, but there's nothing like it (along with breakfast over the fire too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Coffee seems to taste different with different methods of making it. I really don't like the individual-cup machines, seems like a waste and I don't want heat coming in contact with the plastic containers though the taste is good. If I make coffee, I make two cups because invariably I'll have both. The drip method produces the least taste for me. I favor the perk method, and to put a fine line on it, not the electric pot perk, which I use now, but perking coffee in an old fashioned pot on a gas flame. The best coffee imo is the perked coffee in the enamel pot made over a campfire. Maybe it's the outdoor element, but there's nothing like it (along with breakfast over the fire too).
I ordered an electric perk - haven't done anything with it but take it out of the box. I guess it takes work to develop a habit. This old drip Mr. Coffee started leaking all over my counter - into the trash it went. I wonder if the neighbors would complain if I started a fire in my back yard?

Old 06-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I ordered an electric perk - haven't done anything with it but take it out of the box. I guess it takes work to develop a habit. This old drip Mr. Coffee started leaking all over my counter - into the trash it went. I wonder if the neighbors would complain if I started a fire in my back yard?
I have a small electric percolator. In with the ground coffee put a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon, nice touch. I hate sweetened flavored coffees, and I never add sugar, which masks the essential coffee taste. Cream from Jersey cows, yes.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I guess it takes work to develop a habit.
You don't love the smell of fresh coffee early in the morning?

Is the pot stainless steel or aluminum? For me always s-s.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:36 PM

[quote=newenglandgirl;40096235]You don't love the smell of fresh coffee early in the morning?

stainless and I do like the coffee smell. Have to change my inner programming.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:01 PM

[quote=Umbria;40096266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You don't love the smell of fresh coffee early in the morning?

stainless and I do like the coffee smell. Have to change my inner programming.
I've heard of people trying to get OFF coffee, but never someone trying to get ON it. If you don't like it so much, why go for it? You might get addicted like I am (my Italian grandfather gave me the real deal when I was 15 and it was all downhill from there). Speaking of Italian, what an experience in Italy drinking espresso standing up at a bar. A companion, who doesn't drink coffee, decided to order "peach juice" by saying "succo di pesce." There was a burst of laughter around us. Embarrassed, he settled for expresso but the stuff nearly knocked him over.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:11 PM

203 posts, read 371,734 times
For those of you with percolators, how long do you perk the coffee? Is it a stove-top or an electric percolator?

Electric and stove top will stop perking when they have perked. You don't have to time them. They both have glass knobs on top that you can see when it stops perking..

Old 06-20-2015, 03:26 PM

[quote=newenglandgirl;40096467]
Quote:

I've heard of people trying to get OFF coffee, but never someone trying to get ON it. If you don't like it so much, why go for it? You might get addicted like I am (my Italian grandfather gave me the real deal when I was 15 and it was all downhill from there). Speaking of Italian, what an experience in Italy drinking espresso standing up at a bar. A companion, who doesn't drink coffee, decided to order "peach juice" by saying "succo di pesce." There was a burst of laughter around us. Embarrassed, he settled for expresso but the stuff nearly knocked him over.

I've read that coffee has some health benefits but the main reason is that I need a bump now and when my energy level takes a dive.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I used to love coffee and drank it all day and night. But it started to cause hearburn, gas, and I have a condition now that coffee causes major problems for, so I swore it off. Now the stuff isn't the least bit tempting. It looks and smells nasty to me.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I enjoy a good cup of coffee. I drink it black but have at times put some flavored cream for a change of pace. I still prefer to drink my coffee black. And I like it hot. Not lukewarm.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement