Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM

15,005 posts, read 12,212,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
i just make my relatives do all my chores.
Wonderful if you can swing it! My DH thinks there's a fairy that comes in and keeps the house clean. I don't know what he thinks I am doing.

He thinks there is a maintenance fairy too. The maintenance fairy takes care of the items that have been on his "honey-do" list so long the ink on the "do" item is faded. Because he believes actually that "honey-do" list is a "round-tuit" list, to be gotten to sometime before the Second Coming. He's retired, doncha know.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 12:40 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,331,632 times
those microfiber push brooms work well for my wood and tile floors. an occasional mopping and all is shiny.

think microfiber cleaners would work well on the blinds, will try that next time around.

Have dust on my ceiling fan tops and that becomes a chore to climb and clean. Change my AC filters often. It helps.

use vinegar with water spray bottle and cloth to spray and clean throughout the house. occasional bleaching where needed.

use a pump vacuum push bottle for spray and mix bleach and water. Go through the house spraying sinks, showers commodes, etc then head through the pool area and finish up the bottle. then rinse.

once i tried to dust all of those areas I cannot reach with my very lightweight leaf blower. It did not work but created more dust for me to clean up the old fashioned way. Don't try it.

as to the outside, in 2006 I did it all myself and took such pleasure in a well kept yard and landscaping. including climbing trees and sawing off limbs that were extending over the house and screened pool. in 2014 I am no longer able to do the outside at all. the people don't do the work to my satisfaction and I find it frustrating but I harden my heart and tell myself effort spent inside is sufficient for my pride.

good luck on new house keeping techniques. I will follow this thread for more good ideas from you all.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just occurred to be as I wheeled in a 'thousand' grocery bags that one very helpful item is the foldable shopping cart.
It handles going up stairs very well, too.
I also have several different size dollies that I made and a very small cart that resembles an appliance dolly which has allowed me to move loads of things around without having to get somebody to help or endanger my back. A full size appliance dolly has been put into use, too, for things like heavy dressers.
I bought one of those not long ago and I think it's the best 'investment' I've made in a while. One day my mom watched me, with four bags on each arm, and said she wasn't sure if I was "crazy or lazy" doing that. lol I use it for all sorts of chores like taking all the trash out for both Mom and myself or hauling laundry back and forth from the laundry room, which is at Mom's house. Also have a dolly for big stuff.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,670,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just occurred to be as I wheeled in a 'thousand' grocery bags that one very helpful item is the foldable shopping cart.
It handles going up stairs very well, too.
I also have several different size dollies that I made and a very small cart that resembles an appliance dolly which has allowed me to move loads of things around without having to get somebody to help or endanger my back. A full size appliance dolly has been put into use, too, for things like heavy dressers.
I want, covet, desire, a grocery cart.... one of the small ones. They are very expensive, but I think having one would make my life so much easier.

My neighbor and I discuss often how much easier it is to walk with a grocery cart than it is to use a walker. The cart handle makes you stand up straighter and the weight of the cart allows you to hold on with one hand if you need to grab something with the other without losing your balance.

I'm going to google "appliance dolly".

Old 07-06-2014, 01:04 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I want, covet, desire, a grocery cart.... one of the small ones. They are very expensive, but I think having one would make my life so much easier.

My neighbor and I discuss often how much easier it is to walk with a grocery cart than it is to use a walker. The cart handle makes you stand up straighter and the weight of the cart allows you to hold on with one hand if you need to grab something with the other without losing your balance.

I'm going to google "appliance dolly".
Ace Hardware carries a variety of those grocery carts for different weights, etc.. I got the 250 pound cart for about $40. They had them as cheap as $25 for the smaller ones. You might check it out if you have an Ace Hardware. Or probably just about any hardware store. Walmart used to carry them but I couldn't find one there so went to Ace.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,377,230 times
I thought I knew what dust was UNTIL I MOVED TO NEVADA. There is dust and there is DUST.

In Nevada, not vacuuming under your bed produces something resembling rolling tumbleweeds.
So, I bought a Roomba in addition to my Neato. But my Neato is not a very compassionate fella and totally ignores Roomba when she hears her "uh oh" when she runs into trouble..

Old 07-06-2014, 03:43 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,345,228 times
Fortunately, labor costs in this area are much lower. $35 gets you about 90 minutes of light cleaning. The local handyman gets about $30-35/ hr if you allow him to set his own hours. What takes him and hour would take me four and I would have to buy all the tools.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,670,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Ace Hardware carries a variety of those grocery carts for different weights, etc.. I got the 250 pound cart for about $40. They had them as cheap as $25 for the smaller ones. You might check it out if you have an Ace Hardware. Or probably just about any hardware store. Walmart used to carry them but I couldn't find one there so went to Ace.
I found a small commercial grocery cart on ebay. I looked at the carts at Ace and a few other places, but I need the basket to be high. I don't have any trouble getting my groceries from the cart into my truck at the store because the basket and truck seat are about the same height. It would be great to be able to unload everything from the truck into a similar cart at home. I have no steps.

I have two tvs I would like to move. I can't lift them but I could shift them over to a high cart. One is going out to the truck to be recycled. I need a heavy well balanced cart for something like that.

In the house, on the carpet, I use furniture glides under a sturdy table to move things around, but getting the tv out to the truck has me stymied.

I figured that the cart would also work well for moving my plants around. It might be a good place for them to spend the winter indoors. Easy to roll outdoors when the weather allows. I feel bad on nice days since I have got to old to carry them in and out.

Now I just have to decide if I want to spend $188. I was planning on having a yard sale to get rid of a few things. This would be a good use for the proceeds from the sale.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking You all have inspired me.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,530,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
...I have two tvs I would like to move. I can't lift them but I could shift them over to a high cart. One is going out to the truck to be recycled. I need a heavy well balanced cart for something like that...
And the other TV? Do they work - in any way shape or form? If a TV still works - no matter how clunky it is - you can find someone who will take it from you for free and haul it away. Robyn

Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,530,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What does this do on real wood floors (not laminate)?
With our new steam mop - it said it was safe for most flooring - but might affect certain floor finishes. We have waxed linoleum. And - when we left the steam mop cooling on it (as opposed to just mopping it) - it pretty much wrecked the wax - but not the floor. We'll be replacing the floor soon - so I don't care. When it comes to using any new product on anything you don't plan on trashing soon - best to give it a test drive in an inconspicuous place first. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement