Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 40,249 times

Advertisements

I won't be eligible for full SS for another two years when I turn 66.
My wife does not qualify for SS as she does not have the required quarters.

I know she can collect off my SS, but I can't seem to find the details on the ssa.gov site.
What I did find is a statement the says this:

"Even if she has never worked under Social Security, your spouse may be able to get benefits if he or she is
at least 62 years of age and you are receiving or eligible for retirement or disability benefits. He or she can also qualify
for Medicare at age 65."

My wife turned 66 this past June.

Must I be collecting for my spouse to collect off of my SS? The statement says I have to be "receiving or eligible for retirement"... What does this mean?

And how to calculate what she would be getting. I keep seeing she could be getting up to half of what I get?

Thanks.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,818 times
you don't have to be collecting but you have to be FRA. you can then either collect or if you want to let your benefits increase you can File and suspend, that would allow your wife to start collecting on your record she would recieve 50% of what your FRA benefit would be.

I am the spouse in the exact same situation. SO I am familiar with the rules.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Thanks arwenmark. I guess FRA means I have to be at Full Retirement Age (66)?

So if I file and suspend for a year, the amount I would get is the same as if I did not suspend? Or would I get that extra year 8% increase?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:22 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj00 View Post
Thanks arwenmark. I guess FRA means I have to be at Full Retirement Age (66)?

So if I file and suspend for a year, the amount I would get is the same as if I did not suspend? Or would I get that extra year 8% increase?
Correct the FRA = Full Retirement Age [whatever that is for each individual] in your case 66

If you file and suspend for a year you would get the additional 8% HOWEVER your wife's benfit would still remain 50% of your FRA benefit and not include the extra credit. But if you were to Die then she would no longer get her spousal benefit but would get your Full amount including the credit as a Survivor/widow
benefit.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 AM

What if I did not file at all at 66? No suspend? Would my spouse still qualify?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 AM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
no , a spouse can not collect spousal benefits until you file or file and suspend. only an ex wife or husband can collect spousal without the other party qualifying.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:54 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , a spouse can not collect spousal benefits until you file or file and suspend. only an ex wife or husband can collect spousal without the other party qualifying.
Good information

There has been a few rumblings about them closing that loophole (the file and suspend part) though, so they may want to do it as soon as possible.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

How much can an ex-spouse get and does the ex-spouse also have to be FRA? What if one ex-spouse is collecting full benefits but the other ex-spouse hasn't reached 62 (or whatever the age is)?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 PM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
ex spouse can collect spousal benefits starting at 62. she gets a reduction from 1/2 ex husbands fra depending how far under her own fra she files..

no need to have ex husband file to get spousal unlike a married couple where one has to file to have a spouse collect off it,even if you file first and then suspend..

here is something else few know.

ex husbands and wifes can file for spousal on each other leaving their own to grow. married couples only get one spousal benefit

Old 07-12-2014, 12:35 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
How much can an ex-spouse get and does the ex-spouse also have to be FRA? What if one ex-spouse is collecting full benefits but the other ex-spouse hasn't reached 62 (or whatever the age is)?
Assuming the ex-spouse is otherwise eligible (married to the wage earner for at least 10 years, divorced for at least 2 years and has not remarried), the ex-spouse must reach age 62 to begin collecting a [markedly] reduced spousal benefit. Furthermore, if the ex-spouse elects to take the benefits before her full retirement age, she will automatically receive the benefit on her earnings record (if she has one) and an additional amount, if applicable, that would bring her benefit to an amount equal to 50% of her former spouse's benefit, minus the early retirement penalty.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by lenora; 07-12-2014 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: brain ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement