Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:58 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Just ask corporate America which is fleeing to inversions and getting the heck out with their money.
Actually this has the potential to be much better for the US economy than the current setup since without double taxation more capital from overseas can and will be deployed back here.

(I know this is off the thread subject but it was brought up)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 04:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am not sure where folks expect this Medicaid money to come from in 10-20 years to pay their nursing home costs and provide health care to the poor at the same time.
I've asked myself the same question but added SS as well.
With more off shored workers the FICA revenue stream is drying up.
And here in the US people are working for less pay. Less pay = lower FICA revenue to the government.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:01 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We agree. So why does virtually every investment firm scare the crap out of people? Obviously to get them to invest more, with their firm. They have scared so many that some of those folks have pretty much given up on retirement, some have stopped saving altogether with a "what's the point, I'll have to work 'til I'm dead anyway" mentality and that's just wrong.
The answer is simple, they want you to listen to their advice.

How do they get clients to listen to their advice? They say that people are doomed unless you listen to their spin.

I would ignore what they say.

If you want to learn how much to save for retirement determine the spending level you want and then figure out a lump sum that will fund that stream of payments.

You can model this and find out what withdrawal rate will work %of the time, then based on your risk tolerance pick a certain withdrawal %. It might make sense to model some contingencies like a random health expense.

If a 4% withdrawal rate from a 60/40 equity/bond portfolio works 90% of the time and you are OK with that risk then you have the answer right there. You don't need a financial planner unless you can't understand your own risk tolerance.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've asked myself the same question but added SS as well.
With more off shored workers the FICA revenue stream is drying up.
And here in the US people are working for less pay. Less pay = lower FICA revenue to the government.
I read an interesting article the other day. It argued that dramatically increasing woman's wages across the board would increase FICA revenue. Didn't mention what it would do to SS benefit costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement