Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Yep i agree. Not only don't i want to get dressed to meet them but they couldn't care less how you dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There is nothing wrong with paying a fee as a % of assets. The good old guys at vanguard have concluded that advisors can be worth 1.5-3% in relation to what an investor would do on their own
Heck if you are dumb enough to pay a % of assets vs an hourly rate I guess there "is nothing wrong" with being shafted. Does 'nothing wrong' = legal? Yes it is legal but it is not smart.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
Oh, Great. Thank you. In our discussion on the phone, I mentioned that I don't try to impress and he said that he had that impression of me by what I was saying.

I am actually seeing 3 different Retirement Planners to interview them, but so far I am most impressed by this one as he got straight to the point and we had a really good conversation discussing different options and he kept away from ideas that I had told him I would be uncomfortable with. I think the one I am meeting Monday will be a short meeting as he impresses me the least.

I promise not to do anything without due consideration and probably a few questions posted on the board.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Heck if you are dumb enough to pay a % of assets vs an hourly rate I guess there "is nothing wrong" with being shafted. Does 'nothing wrong' = legal? Yes it is legal but it is not smart.
It depends on what you are looking for. Active planning, assets allocation, reallocating and preventing you from chasing performance or panicking. It sounds like you may be hung up on paying someone who might be of benefit to you.

Do you think the low cost smart guys at vanguard are "dumb"?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Long way away from 'what to wear' but do keep in mind, the flat fee guy gets what he gets regardless of how well you do. The percentage guy makes more if you make more.(assuming an ongoing relationship)
Tis is not to be taken as coming down on one side or the other because this alone doesn't make one better than the other.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:43 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There is nothing wrong with paying a fee as a % of assets. The good old guys at vanguard have concluded that advisors can be worth 1.5-3% in relation to what an investor would do on their own
paying a 1% based on assets and not performance ,better have some great performance and value to go along with it.

i never understood the logic behind someone paying a fee for mgmt of their assets . i can see paying based on gains but getting paid for giving you a loss or no gains is quite silly to most of our thinking..

but having said that think about the following:

we can all cut the grass ourselves but many ,self included when i had the house had a gardner. the gardner does not charge you to mow only based on the difference in height of the grass to what it will be after it is cut.

we don't pay a cable bill based on how much we use it,.

for many it is the service of baby sitting their money they are paying for because they do not have the skill or want to do it themselves.

we can all watch our kids for free but yet many have nanny's right?

i guess it isn't the performance you pay for it is a baby sitter.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-27-2014 at 04:47 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
paying a 1% based on assets and not performance ,better have some great performance and value to go along with it.

i never understood the logic behind someone paying a fee for mgmt of their assets . i can see paying based on gains but getting paid for giving you a loss or no gains is quite silly to most of our thinking..

but having said that think about the following:

we can all cut the grass ourselves but many ,self included when i had the house had a gardner. the gardner does not charge you to mow only based on the difference in height of the grass to what it will be after it is cut.

we don't pay a cable bill based on how much we use it,.

for many it is the service of baby sitting their money they are paying for because they do not have the skill or want to do it themselves.

we can all watch our kids for free but yet many have nanny's right?

i guess it isn't the performance you pay for it is a baby sitter.

Strange you don't see the value but it's all in the study you've posted many times. And pay only on gains? So in a really good year would you be okay paying 5%? I mean last year net of fees you could have still been in the 20-30% annual return range. Down markets really are where advisors are worth it and charging a fee based on assets still makes sense in losing years as you are paying less than prior years and I'd argue getting more value. The vanguard study talks about this specifically because of the avg investors tendency to bail at the wrong time. Also between management styles or active asset allocation canproduce smaller losses in down markets. Ie a covered call strat that was down mid 20%-30% did provide value or if I stopped you from selling out month after month when you called in, in a panic and reminded you we were on a 10, 20 or 30 year plan. You can call it a babysitter but there is a lot more counseling that goes on between the avg fa and client than youd think.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
In point of fact, I've never met anyone anywhere ever who didn't think they were paying someone else waaayyy too much money to do their job. And these same people who think they are paying too much, also think that they themselves are very underpaid for the work that they do.

Such is life. I am happy to pay my retirement planner in any form as long as I get what I am after. I believe he will be able to help me accomplish my goal.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
As long as i am the client paying him i wear what i want.
Wow.
I actually agree with Mathjak

Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Jeans and boots all the way, look at Warren Buffet's brother. A farmer. A rich one, yeah, but a farmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement