Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:35 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why people complain so much but won't leave. Arrogant and rude Juliette and other arrogant without a reason types have left for Europe thankfully and I hope they stay there. I was offered $25,000/mo to do some consulting work in Europe for a former client but I hate it so much over there that I just won't go back.[/quote]

Because different people are entitled to have different beliefs. For instance I don't believe you turned down a job for 25K a month because "you dont like Europe".

All of Europe? The entire EU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 03:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
If an American retiree came over to the UK to live and, of course, had never paid taxes here, then using the NHS would be sponging. So it is not allowed to happen.
Ditto in Portugal. I must carry a private insurance policy as a retiree. I am unable to enroll in the system because I am not a wage-earner or married to one.

I can use state-run hospitals (and have) and pay a fee; however, my fee would not be as high as the fee for the same process in the U.S. My fee would also be much higher than that charged to someone who was a participant in the national health system.

I have had four stents implanted in my heart: one the first time, and three at once the second time. I checked the U.S. costs after each operation (these were some years ago) and my costs were one half the lowest U.S. fee I could find. My insurance company completely paid for each.

There are also a large number of private for-profit hospitals. The fees in these are higher in state-run hospitals, but the services are superior. Nevertheless, the fees are still not equivalent to those in the U.S., usually a third to half for a surgical procedure or a test.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:08 AM

Quote:
And what exactly is the US doing for me while I live here? I am not using any US services of any kind. Why should I have to pay any tax to them?
Tsk, tsk....isn't the U.S. embassy sending you regular bulletins on the possible dangers of going to London because some labor union or lobby group is holding a demo, and this might turn into a riot and you should stay far away, blah, blah, blah. You should complain and get at least that service.

Maybe the embassy where I live is just paranoid, but it is unbelievable the warnings they send me about every single damned demo and parade in Lisbon. And I think if I were the Portugue government I would have my U.S. embassy and consulates issuing warnings about every demo, parade, Tea Party gathering, etc. in the U.S. as potentially dangerous.

This is pretty amusing when you consider this is a somewhat conservative country despite relatively recent changes regarding gay relationships, divorce, etc. The annual gay parade in Lisbon is a relatively small affair which ends up in a square in the center of the city where there are food tents, etc. As Portuguese people have wryly remarked in the past there are more straight people with children enjoying the great food than there are gay people there at this "possibly inflammatory" event.

I will say that a very helpful Portuguese lady at the U.S. embassy very quickly and efficiently solved a problem I was having recently with my Social Security payments.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Kevxu..

As an American who is pretty much at ease as well with the European your post brought me
back to my grandfather who came here at the turn of the century, stayed a while and then high-tailed it back to the old country.....to my greatest pleasure! His dislike apparently contributed to my revelry in things 'European'. Amazing! The United States of America, that land of milk and honey, did not appeal to him. Made me think that getting 'rooted' is a challenge all citizens of the world face. One man's 'Shangri-la' or 'Xanadu' can be another's dismal portage on the river Styx. ..;-)....
My family has had similar experiences. Some relatives returned to the places they came from, and some cousins headed out to live in South American or Caribbean countries many years ago.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ditto in Portugal. I must carry a private insurance policy as a retiree. I am unable to enroll in the system because I am not a wage-earner or married to one.

I can use state-run hospitals (and have) and pay a fee; however, my fee would not be as high as the fee for the same process in the U.S. My fee would also be much higher than that charged to someone who was a participant in the national health system.

I have had four stents implanted in my heart: one the first time, and three at once the second time. I checked the U.S. costs after each operation (these were some years ago) and my costs were one half the lowest U.S. fee I could find. My insurance company completely paid for each.

There are also a large number of private for-profit hospitals. The fees in these are higher in state-run hospitals, but the services are superior. Nevertheless, the fees are still not equivalent to those in the U.S., usually a third to half for a surgical procedure or a test.
I'm sure there must be temporary residents here who have to pay but I'm not sure how that works. The minute I stepped off the plane with my fiancee visa, I was entitled to the NHS. When I signed up at my local surgery they didn't even ask me for proof that I was entitled. They took my word for it.

There is private insurance here and the one that advertises is BUPA. Know nothing about it, I'm happy with the NHS.

If we were to move to, say, France, as retirees, the healthcare would be more complicated as I think the UK has to reimburse them...? But when we visit the EU we carry our card that entitles us to healthcare as tourists.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Tsk, tsk....isn't the U.S. embassy sending you regular bulletins on the possible dangers of going to London because some labor union or lobby group is holding a demo, and this might turn into a riot and you should stay far away, blah, blah, blah. You should complain and get at least that service.

Maybe the embassy where I live is just paranoid, but it is unbelievable the warnings they send me about every single damned demo and parade in Lisbon. And I think if I were the Portugue government I would have my U.S. embassy and consulates issuing warnings about every demo, parade, Tea Party gathering, etc. in the U.S. as potentially dangerous.

This is pretty amusing when you consider this is a somewhat conservative country despite relatively recent changes regarding gay relationships, divorce, etc. The annual gay parade in Lisbon is a relatively small affair which ends up in a square in the center of the city where there are food tents, etc. As Portuguese people have wryly remarked in the past there are more straight people with children enjoying the great food than there are gay people there at this "possibly inflammatory" event.

I will say that a very helpful Portuguese lady at the U.S. embassy very quickly and efficiently solved a problem I was having recently with my Social Security payments.
Nope. Nothing. I'm disappointed.

I can't really say the US does nothing at all for me as they do deposit my SS payments, which I earned, into the US account. And I have used the London Embassy for a name change, and the Edinburgh consulate to turn in my application for SS.

Being a dual citizen, I'd most likely go to the British embassy if I needed help in a foreign country. I only use my US passport when I visit the US as it's required. But when I come home, I have to show my UK passport.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
If an American retiree came over to the UK to live and, of course, had never paid taxes here, then using the NHS would be sponging. So it is not allowed to happen.
True. But to the surprise of many a tourist, emergency services are covered for travelers to your great country, with hardly any paperwork or hassle. It's a great system. Wish we here in the US could return the favor.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
True. But to the surprise of many a tourist, emergency services are covered for travelers to your great country, with hardly any paperwork or hassle. It's a great system. Wish we here in the US could return the favor.
A friend visited years ago and had sprained her wrist, not life or death. They didn't charge her anything.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
^
That's great. I'd hope that happens to us if something occurs like that to us while we're in Loch Ness!

What I'd be curious to know is what do EU citizens then complain about regarding the NHS? It's a man-made system. It appears very functional as it should be but it can't be perfect.
Or is it immune from criticism which is the complete opposite of what we find in the States?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
That's great. I'd hope that happens to us if something occurs like that to us while we're in Loch Ness!

What I'd be curious to know is what do EU citizens then complain about regarding the NHS? It's a man-made system. It appears very functional as it should be but it can't be perfect.
Or is it immune from criticism which is the complete opposite of what we find in the States?
No, tourists are pushed off the boats into the Loch to feed Nessie.

No system is perfect. I've got no complaints and I've heard a LOT of praise. Seems in the UK it's mainly those in big cities who complain about waiting times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement