Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 06:56 AM

106,760 posts, read 108,973,015 times

Advertisements

i run 2.5 miles every other day and weightlift the days i don't run.

used to do it 7 days a week now do it 5.

a diabetic diet takes care of the healthy eating end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Has your doctor given you through physical with testing for such things as thyroid problems? Then again I have known people with this complaint who after physical rehab got over it.
Yes, but there are several more thyroid tests he did not include on my panel and I am now working with a different doc to see about having a more complete panel done.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 AM

when i was first diagnosed as diabetic back in feb my thyroid was sluggish. now that the numbers are under control with just diet the thyroid popped right back to normal.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Bob's Red Mill is outstanding.
A little bit of everything "grain-y".
Available all over the place in sticks 'n bricks ... and always available online.
Thank you, Gandalara! I think my hubby would like what you have described.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How old are you? And get your thyroid checked.

I'm 54 and do not really get tired, but I quit doing things that made me tired, if that makes sense. No more strenuous yard work. I just keep it simple. I do walk for about an hour a few times a week. Of course I am sleepy if I don't get a good nights rest. Now that my incontinent dog has passed, I can sleep through the night. I would have to get up in the middle of the night several times to take her outside.

As for food, I avoid things that upset my stomach - raw onions, pork and greasy food, especially things made with chili powder. Hate that stuff. I am not a fast food eater, gross. I don't see how adults can make daily treks to places like McDonalds, Sonic etc and slurp down huge vats of sugary drinks - yuck.

I am retired from the military, so exercise was a part of life. I think that has helped me immensely. I don't worry about not being able to do things like I used to because it is just a part of getting older. Fight it if you want, but recognize it also.
Makes total sense! Seems you have a very reasonable approach to good health!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh boy, I know alot about adrenal fatigue!

So I will say...get Nutri-West's 'Core Level Adrenal'.
Or if more available to you Standard Process' 'Drenamin'.
Helps to repair and rebuild them.

(I took at least 2-4 for awhile...not just one And let the tablets dissolve in your mouth.)

I also found CoQ10 and Alpha lipoic acid to be surprisingly effective!

You will prob feel a difference within less than a week.

First sign may be you don't need sunglasses anymore!
You know no sugar or caffeine or alcohol, I'm sure.

(I have only glanced over your op...in case someone already brought these up.)
I enjoy my coffee but have cut way back. I drink a lot of water daily and also black and green teas as well as herbal teas.

I got hubby started on CoQ10 a few years ago (and his docs approved, but I found it odd they never mentioned that he should be taking it - I read about it being needed if a person is taking certain cardiac drugs). But I have not tried it myself. So easy enough for me to add it.

I will do some research on the Core Level Adrenal. Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Hanging around 22 year old people do the trick for me.
That is exactly why I have enjoyed teaching a class now and then. Hopefully, I can do that again once we get settled.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 AM

i was taking lipitor and coq10 , but now with the diabetic diet i no longer need the lipitor either

Old 09-20-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've somewhat crashed this morning (at 8:30 still in bed) after too much activity (for me) yesterday. Long walk in the morning, physical chores in the house (the advent of fall brings out the cleaner/organizer in me), late night out. Sometimes when I get overly active during the day it's hard to go right to sleep at bedtime, my mind is overstimulated. Then getting up early sends me into a several day spin of low energy. Old people in older cultures tend to take it easy or at least pace themselves. Boomers seem to want to do everything we did in our 40s. Some can.
Modifying periods of activity with quiet time (for me, meditation, yoga) has worked for me in the past with balancing out my energy level and helping me sleep at night. Hopefully, I can get back to my own schedule soon. I have been living hubby's life for about six years and I think being so out of synch with my own routine (and needs) has taken a huge toll.

I think once we get out of whack with our circadian rhythm and with balancing our energy, it takes some time to turn things around.

My diet has also changed without my even realizing it. Things that hubby won't eat have been eliminated from my diet, too, and that was a bad idea, as I started working on what is best for me in my 20s and had it down to a science, including a regimen with apple cider vinegar.

Reading this thread has reminded me how off course I have gotten with my own needs while focusing on hubby's, b/c it was just too dern complicated to take care of us both. That in itself (caretaker) is mentally draining. I have had a "I will just get through this and worry about myself later" attitude for years now and that has to cease! Hubs got a good report from his surgeon and cardiac team this week . . . time for me to start focusing on my own health, which includes what I eat, my primary physical activities, my time for rejuvenation, and restful (REM) sleep.

Hopefully, I can find ways to have our diets intersect (as with the steel cut oats), which is less of a toll on me trying to deal with who will eat what. When I am alone, I fix my quinoa and mango salsa, lol. When hubby is around, it is just too much effort to fix two meals, and he is going to sneak what he wants (went out and got two hotdogs yesterday - SIGH) . . . I am just going to have to tell him I refuse to be his health warden and fix healthy meals that I enjoy, too . . . and if he doesn't want to eat what I fix, that is his decision.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i was taking lipitor and coq10 , but now with the diabetic diet i no longer need the lipitor either
Do you have an "exchange" list with suggested menus that you are using?

I had gestational diabetes and wish I still had the menus that I used. They were wonderful. Breakfast was something like this: Egg, 1/2 orange, 1 slice bread with butter, tomato juice, 2 slices bacon, coffee or hot tea. Then I had cheese cubes for mid morning snack, and so forth.

I have never been able to find a site online that has menus like that. They give exchange lists but I just wish I had menus to follow. That was sooo simple.

Diet is chemistry. The body is just a big ole chemistry lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement