Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times

Advertisements

Here's a followup to my earlier post: I'm a native Californian. If not for two things, I would retire in California.

One: the anti-gun laws in California. I'm a resident of Arizona mainly for the favorability it has to owning firearms and ammo. So much so that I work in California and live in Arizona. I do own firearms that are legal in Arizona but not in California. I know I'm paying lots of money per month to maintain two residences but I am willing to pay that price for my freedom.

Two: The income tax is way lower in Arizona. Not as low as Nevada's but then Arizona has even better gun freedom than Nevada. I talked with a lot of 50-something Californians and most of them are going to take their 401ks with them to other states when they retire. California is going to lose that potential revenue because the distributions are taxed as ordinary income. When I retire and visit California it will be for such short durations that I will legally avoid falling into their income tax trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Here's a followup to my earlier post: I'm a native Californian. If not for two things, I would retire in California.

One: the anti-gun laws in California. I'm a resident of Arizona mainly for the favorability it has to owning firearms and ammo. So much so that I work in California and live in Arizona. I do own firearms that are legal in Arizona but not in California. I know I'm paying lots of money per month to maintain two residences but I am willing to pay that price for my freedom.

Two: The income tax is way lower in Arizona. Not as low as Nevada's but then Arizona has even better gun freedom than Nevada. I talked with a lot of 50-something Californians and most of them are going to take their 401ks with them to other states when they retire. California is going to lose that potential revenue because the distributions are taxed as ordinary income. When I retire and visit California it will be for such short durations that I will legally avoid falling into their income tax trap.
Thats quite a commute isn't it? From Phoenix to say LA?

I can see the income tax angle as a valid reason. The other is ideological fantasy.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 AM

671 posts, read 890,789 times
Cost...Do I go or do I stay is a question I had to address some years ago. When I retired living on Long Island NY was not in the cards because of property and school taxes..Paying $13,000 a year in taxes on my home was the main deal breaker.. SS and my pension wasn't going to hold up over the long term..
You can only do so much from the internet but here's what I did......
Of course city data is a must and while the forum has it's place the weather,population ect side is where it shines.
I uses Unitedcountry for rural homes for a state search, rural homes may not be your aim but they give a good feel of the costs and always list near by towns/cities and the county...From their Trulia gave a larger picture of the county/area in home prices and then craigslist for a feel of what's the area about. Then the taxes,utility costs ect can be screened...For some school's are important for some not so...Unemployement in an area wasn't a huge factor for me and as many mention crime is always a consideration but that is never a state item nor a county,,it's always a local issue...city data covers that rather well.
A picture says a thousand words,,but a picture is deceiving also..Do a search of the town and google up images. To grab a common tern used today "boots on the ground" is an absolute must.....
In the end I moved to Pennsylvania and got what I considered a fit for our new home..It turned out to be exactly what we were aiming for and could afford. It was a good move for us...Take your time,don't rush, stay within your limits....Consider your age,,the only way to avoid getting old is to die,,be realistic..Get your mind in step with your body....I wish I could have done some homesteading,off in the wild sort of thing but for us hospitals matter and if that isn't on your list,,,believe me,it will be.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:

...age 50-something Californians ... take their 401ks with them to other states when they retire. California is going to lose that potential revenue because the distributions are taxed as ordinary income. When I retire and visit California ...
Taxes, politics, and regulations has made CA very expensive for retirees and business owners. I do like a few areas in NV, and very few in AZ. I LIKE having WATER! I think it will be key in the future.

in the 70's - 1997... I wish CA would have had the foresight to require all equity for private homes in excess of USA national average price, be required to remain invested in CA (They could have easily taxed gains to make this possible). A lot of us in the western states would have been able to stay in our homes, rather than taxed out due to unreasonable gains in assessed market valuations from CA buyer with pockets stuffed full of (IRS) taxable gains. The CA's felt inclined to reinvest all those dollars in their next home, and in my area(s) CO and WA... they were paying up to 3x the value of the homes. (realtors and sellers loved it). Residents got stuck longterm with inflated Property taxes. Many (including retirees) are forced to leave the area.

My main reason for relocating would not be costs.
(even tho my property taxes are up over 1000%).

Climate and social structure / opportunities / recreation / safety / the people & relationships are so much more important to me.

I am mitigating extra costs with extra income sources (renting out basement and RV spots + added another rental property for extra income). Once I get to age 65 I can get a 60% reduction in property taxes (which is not much considering the tax increases that will happen before I'm that age)

At the moment I have 4 retirement locations and enjoy them all. As I age, I will narrow my places to eventually one final 4" dia spot. Or just toss the ashes to the wind ~ - NO final spot... more attune to my wanderlust disease. I will probably die of natural causes. Worn out looking for my true "Home"!

I do miss our family Pioneer Homestead on the prairie. I would have been gone long before now, had that been home for too many more farming seasons of drought and locusts and hail. Now I can farm and deal with MUD 285 days / yr. and an occasional volcano.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:15 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I am also a California native. I grew-up with those droughts. I thought that everywhere had them. Now that I know some regions are totally drought-free, I would need a serious enticement to be drawn to any region that is drought-prone.

I like states like this where I pay no income tax, and the overall taxes are low.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

We have a few friends that stayed in Ca after retirement for various reasons, most would like to move but, as I said, have stayed. There are few that you couldn't pry out of CA except for a vacation. Those who have left have gone to: AZ, NM, Co and Washington. One couple live in OR. Those who have stayed have relocated to other parts of the state, from Los Angeles. One couple moved to NV and then back to CA. They wanted to be nearer the kids and grandkids. It seems the two things that affect peoples choice the most are kids or grandkids and cost of living.

The interesting thing about where we are now: we have several couples we know who spend 6 mo minus one day here and 6 mo plus one day in Florida. The income tax laws are why they establish residence in Florida.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM

171 posts, read 94,554 times
I'm near retirement and have looked at several locations mostly in the west coast. Being recently divorced I'm looking for a city that offers a vibrant and exciting lifestyle. I really couldn't see myself living in some remote cabin in the woods at least not at this point in my life. I'm still very energetic thanks to making healthy choices during my lifetime. Basically all cities offer the amenities retired folks need but the main criteria for me at this time is an activity filled environment where plenty of fun can be had.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
I'm near retirement and have looked at several locations mostly in the west coast. Being recently divorced I'm looking for a city that offers a vibrant and exciting lifestyle. I really couldn't see myself living in some remote cabin in the woods at least not at this point in my life. I'm still very energetic thanks to making healthy choices during my lifetime. Basically all cities offer the amenities retired folks need but the main criteria for me at this time is an activity filled environment where plenty of fun can be had.
Many great retirement regions available near Portland and Seattle and other larger towns in PNW.

What is your choice of preferred activities? that will help to advise.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 PM

171 posts, read 94,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many great retirement regions available near Portland and Seattle and other larger towns in PNW.

What is your choice of preferred activities? that will help to advise.
As a recent divorcee I would like to get more into the dating scene. Activities such as fine dining, dancing, theatre, movies.. almost anything that the nightlife has to offer would be ideal. Of course strong consideration will be given to the interests of whom I'm dating. That would mean trying new things for the first time in which I have no problem with. Also I love the outdoors and partake in many such activities when I have the time. In addition road trips, sporting events, volunteer work..I suppose just about anything under the sun or moon lol.

Once I officially retire I plan on visiting a number of cities and staying a few leisurely filled days. I will definitely explore the northwest a little more since I've been in that region a number of times, but actually favor the warmer climate that southern california has to offer.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Not moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement