Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times

Advertisements

I know that I have to make sure I get enough exercise or I get to not being hungry as past and when I am hungary food taste better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
A person has approximately 9,000 taste buds. That number decreases as you age. The remaining taste buds also begin to atrophy. Sensitivity to taste often declines after age 60. Usually salty and sweet tastes are lost first, followed by bitter and sour tastes.
Or as Tom Lehrer wrote and sang:

Our old mess sergeant's taste buds had been shot off in the war.
But his savory collations add to our esprit de corps.
To think of all the marvelous ways
They're using plastics nowadays.
It makes a fella proud to be a soldier!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,376,478 times
Love salty! I've heard it said that taste buds dull as you age, I know I season my food more now than before.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Love salty! I've heard it said that taste buds dull as you age, I know I season my food more now than before.
This might explain my newly found craving and love of garlic and blue cheese and black pepper

Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,194,616 times
I am noticing some changes in food preferences as I get older. More tolerance for spicy foods, a preference for more gourmet types of pepper and less salt. I never really liked blue cheese, but now I can eat even more of it than ever before, at least in a big salad. I, too, eat more onions than I used to. I love to grab several slices of red onion at a salad bar, and for about 5 years I have enjoyed ordering French Onion soup at restaurants, something I never used to do! My husband and I both crave Brussels Sprouts every so often!!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,762 posts, read 58,170,577 times
The most popular food when we visit nursing homes is our Raspberry Fruit leather (Homemade, of course)

Puree fresh Raspberries (extract seeds) (I have a nifty 1950's garage sale electric spinner / juicer VERY high speed)
add 50% Applesauce from TART early apples. (Lodi, Early Gold, Gala, Jersey Mac, Gravenstein)

Spread about 4 mm thick (5/32) on food drier tray (using plastic sheeting).
Dry a few days,
roll up in wax paper.

Yummy !!!
tart, really tart.

The elderly LIGHT up with that taste in their mouth!

Yum

Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,905,450 times
Dark chocolate has always had more flavor than milk chocolate for most of my 57 years.
It's like comparing Bud Lite to Sam Adams or Guiness.
Tennessee sipping whiskey is not as smooth as fine single malt Scotch.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,501,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Dark chocolate has always had more flavor than milk chocolate for most of my 57 years.
While this is true, I can't resist chocolate of any stripe! And I'm 67.

One thing I do notice, is that the onset of cooler weather perks my appetite up. Not for just anything; I like hearty stews, beef and pork steaks (cooked over an open wood fire), and the so-called "Thanksgiving" vegetables: sweet potatoes, squash, turnips, carrots. Mmmm, love that stuff baked, with melted butter! We grow our own veggies. Creamed onions are great, too. Never cared much for a lot of seasoning, and still don't.

Otherwise, ice cream still sits well with me, most of the year. And our own fresh tomatoes with basil!

Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 AM

366 posts, read 433,768 times
I have heard that the taste buds somewhat lessen over time as we age, so we tend to crave stronger tasting foods. I used to hate onions, mushrooms, etc...but I now love them and have to incorporate them in almost every thing I cook. Things like macaroni and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, etc, I now find bland and boring. I used to love these things as a child. I still can't quite stomach fish though, unless it's a very mild tilapia

Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 AM

84 posts, read 100,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I am wondering about what is happening to me and my DH. I am craving garlic, more onions, blue cheese and peppers while DH can't tolerate any of those things. He is 75 and I'm 68. The other morning I woke up CRAVING garlic so I had garlic toast for breakfast. Is that weird?
A sudden craving for garlic may be an indication that you have a nutritional deficiency of some sort, which a licensed naturopath (N.D.) could help you with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement