Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,669,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

One thing I do notice, is that the onset of cooler weather perks my appetite up. Not for just anything; I like hearty stews, beef and pork steaks (cooked over an open wood fire), and the so-called "Thanksgiving" vegetables: sweet potatoes, squash, turnips, carrots. Mmmm, love that stuff baked, with melted butter! We grow our own veggies. Creamed onions are great, too. Never cared much for a lot of seasoning, and still don't.

My food wants definitely change with the seasons. I went to the grocery store this week on senior day to stock up on pet food and saw fruitcake!. I try to keep holiday eating to a window between Thanksgiving and New Years, but last night I wanted fruitcake and yeast rolls in a bad way.

I did not succumb. I kept thinking that I would run back to the store. I would have the conversation with myself about waiting just one more week, and then the loop would start again....."fruitcake! hot rolls with butter!"

I do eat heavier in the winter and lighter in the summer. I don't understand people who eat summer squash and such out of season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:32 AM

388 posts, read 688,064 times
I'm not of retirement age but in my late 30's. My tastes have changed and are changing but for the most part I still like what I've liked since adulthood, only in different ways. Here are some examples:

-I have always liked salt - my whole life. But now I like season salt on my potatoes and I like sea salt rather than table salt.
- I have always liked maple syrup. I recently bought whipped peanut butter mixed with maple. I'm not sure I would have bought this a few years ago.
- I love bleu cheese but I like it to be stronger now.
- I hate cow milk and stopped drinking it years ago. I literally cannot handle the smell.
- I have liked coffee for awhile but I'm no longer needed sugar + creamer. I now just use the creamer.

My grandmother, who is in her late 70's, along with another set of grandparents in their 80's, none of them can eat large meals. But they all enjoy things they always have - my grandmother loves spicy food and my grandparents still like their wine and Chinese food!

It sounds like you might have a deficiency or just changing your tastes in terms of time of day. But have you always liked garlic? And your husband...he might just be adjusting to his taste buds changing. But has he always loved black pepper?

Garlic toast sounds great!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,946,819 times
People's taste buds change roughly every 7 years... Most items they still "crave" but some of them they either do not like anymore or now like...

Think back to what you use to eat as a 20's something adult or even a teen and compare to what you eat now and see what is either missing or has been added...

Old 11-20-2014, 10:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikalana View Post
A sudden craving for garlic may be an indication that you have a nutritional deficiency of some sort, which a licensed naturopath (N.D.) could help you with.
But only in Placerville . <my wife used to live there> As for us, you can't have too much garlic on/in most things. Nothing sudden about it!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,686,624 times
I love tomatoes but several years ago I started to become allergic to them so now I can't eat them, or onions, raw.

Curmudgeon, this is mushroom picking season in the Bay Area so maybe you would like to join us? LOL! http://ffsc.us/

We eat a lot of well spiced, but not hot, Indian food as it is so easy to pop the veggies in the pressure cooker and be done in a few minutes. While I was stranded in Phoenix for 15 years, I ate really hot Mexican food but now I would rather have milder foods with a richer flavor.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I love tomatoes but several years ago I started to become allergic to them so now I can't eat them, or onions, raw.

Curmudgeon, this is mushroom picking season in the Bay Area so maybe you would like to join us? LOL! Fungus Federation of Santa Cruz | When It Rains, It Spores

We eat a lot of well spiced, but not hot, Indian food as it is so easy to pop the veggies in the pressure cooker and be done in a few minutes. While I was stranded in Phoenix for 15 years, I ate really hot Mexican food but now I would rather have milder foods with a richer flavor.
Alas, the morel season Missouri | Morels.com - Morel Mushrooms and Morel Mushroom Hunting is long over here. Guess I'll have to pass on the invite. But we grow some awesome tomatoes.

Smart aleck!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:36 PM

137 posts, read 174,350 times
That is perfectly normal. As you get older you are also going to lose some of your sense of smell which has a lot to do with your sense of taste.
I love to get my face in close now to anything I am eating to get a better taste of the food. I think it's great because I've been doing that since I was a kid.
So, now that I am older I am probably losing some of my ability to taste or smell but I wouldn't really know since I am a big time food sniffer/snorter.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
My husband always had a lousy sense of smell...especially dirty diapers!

Old 11-20-2014, 02:43 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,224,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
A person has approximately 9,000 taste buds. That number decreases as you age. The remaining taste buds also begin to atrophy. Sensitivity to taste often declines after age 60. Usually salty and sweet tastes are lost first, followed by bitter and sour tastes....
Hmmm, I have reached the sour stage, I guess. I now love pickle relishes on toast, sourish chutneys, more vinegar. So, what's left after this...back to chewing my nails?

Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,224,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
...Garlic toast sounds great!
Love it! For breakfast and/or two slices just before bed to keep the vampires at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement