Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 PM

29 posts, read 79,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I'm 43 and working full time. I can't wait until I can retire (bad word we retire tires not people
I was tired before the work begin, so I re-tired at 55 and am still tired, exhausted jaded, all-in, bushed, drained, worn-out, weary. So now instead of working for the yankee dollar I ‘am a letting the yankee mail me the dollar. Nothing to do with where the rubber meets the road….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 03:04 PM

29 posts, read 79,598 times
Talking MADELINE KAHN is TIRED tooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I'm 43 and working full time. I can't wait until I can retire (bad word we retire tires not people )

MADELINE KAHN is TIRED tooooo
BLAZING SADDLES
I'M TIRED

Here I stand, the goddess of Desire
Set men on fire
I have this power
Morning noon and night it's drink and dancing
Some quick romancing
And then a shower
Stage door johnnies always surround me
They always hound me
With one request
Who can satisfy their lustful habits
I'm not a rabbit
I need some rest

I'm tired
Sick and tired of love
I've had my fill of love
From below and above
Tired, tired of being admired
Tired of love uninspired
Let's face it
I'm tired

I've been with 1000's of men
Again and again
They promise the moon
They always coming and going
Going and coming
And always too soon
Right girls?

I'm tired,
Tired of playing the game
Ain't it a crying shame
I'm so tired
God dammit I'm exhausted

Tired, tired of playing the game
Ain't it a crying shame
I'm so tired

[Soldiers:]
She's tired (She's tired)
Sick and tired of love (Give her a break)
She's had her fill of love (She's not a snake)
From bellow and above (Can't you see she's sick)
Tired (She's bushed)
Tired of being admired (Let her alone)
Tired of love uninspired (Get off the phone)
She's tired (Don't you know she's pooped)

I've been with 1000's of men
Again and again
They sing the same tune
They start with Byron and Shelly
And jump on your belly
And bust your ballon
Aye!

Tired, tired of playing the game
Ain't it a freakin' shame
I'm so...
Let's face it everything below the waist is kapput!

[Soldiers:]
Tired!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:02 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Dec I'll be 46, 1st retirement at 42, working on 2nd retirement, will fully retire at 53 years old. Want to take my wife of 25 years to travel Europe and enjoy the better years while still young and without too many pains.

Leaving for Italy on October 07 (planned for last year), early visit for R & R.

Do want to built a small home in Navarre near the bay and just wait for the kids and grand children to visit and live a simple life.

Something like this:

Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM

39 posts, read 154,127 times
I semi-retired 3 months ago. Working in IT meant 6/10 hour days a week - I'm tired and that's no way to live your life. I've spent the last couple of months doing all the little things that nag at the back of your mind - you know they need doing but when you're working full time you just don't ever have the time? We're looking to sell out and move to an area with lower cost of living fairly soon - but we don't know where that is. My husband will continue to work part time for the benefits. I may go back to work part time after we relocate. We're actually defining this retirement thing as we go - probably the same as lots of other boomers are doing. I see some big changes coming as we all try to retire. Healthcare has to become a BIG issue - even bigger then now. Well if there is anything us Boomers are good at - it's making a fuss...

Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
I'm 52, and when we relocated to NC I did not get a job, so I am semi-retired. My first year here my middle child got married, so I was back and forth to MI quite a few times. This year I started out looking for work, but am having a hard time getting anywhere so I applied at a Temporary Service. Working my first job for them right now, and enjoying it. Of course my husband would rather I just stay home, but I like having some money to "blow". After this job, well maybe I will get a few weeks off so I can enjoy NC's spring and just read and feel the sun on me.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
....What do you do with your days if you no longer have to "clock-in" ....
I'm 60, fully retired.

This morning, as I was sitting on the deck deciding what I would with the day, the choices came down to:

Mow the place (a full day of work even with the sit down mower).

Do a little maintenance on the boat, then go fishing.

Defer the maintenance and just go fishing.

Jump on the motorcycle and spend the day sightseeing.

Put in another garden plot.

Finish a book that I'd started last night.

As I was attempting to winnow these choices down to the absolute "best" choice for this particular day, my wife suggested that there was an antique store (50 miles away) that she wanted to visit as she was looking for a piece for one particular spot in the house.

So I went antiquing instead...I guess I "clocked in" as it was a demand on my time, but I didn't mind as it was the best choice for the day, even though we didn't find anything she was interested in.

Tomorrow, the choices will be the same or I could decide to play golf.

I'm busier now than when I was working for someone else, but it's busy I want to do, when I want to do it.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,802 times
Wink People who define themselves solely by their job/career.

Got to get my two cents worth in. I plan to work about 2 more years, or until I am a bit over 59. Buuuutttt if politics at work get nasty I may leave before then. I was brought up with the notion that you were defined by your career. What a load of horse manure! Nothing wrong if you enjoy your job and can stay without compromising yourself into a ripe old age--but give me a break--most people are just hanging on because they need the health insurance or are afraid they will live so long they will run out of money.

Go into any financial advisors office and they will scare you with the possiblility that you will live to be over 100. I have news for you. Most won't last that long. And having a good deal of experience with older people I can tell you that after the age of 95--if you last that long--I doubt if you will still be in your beach house or much care about those trips to Europe.

Fact is you can live on much less than they say you can--unless you want to spend on extravagant trips or leave lots to the grandkids--and you can get some good high deductible insurance to tide you over until Medicare. Of course, if you have a serious pre-existing condition that can complicate things.

My advice, don't be afraid or wait too long to pull the plug on that career of yours. And there is always part-time work at your own schedule if need be.

And don't think you have to live in the fancy, resort area to be happy. Live more cheaply in some smaller town with a community college and decent health care.

Actually, most people retire near their family. That is first priority. After that is climate and health care.

If I pick Northwest Louisiana I will be within an hour of excellent healthcare for major procedures and close in to regular clinics. And I will have a decent regional theater and lots of outdoor recreation. And I can do it easily for about 30K--and that includes medical insurance. If I was willing to live in a double-wide or Katrina Cottage I could have a couple of acres of landscaping and live on less than that. Property taxes are low and cost-of-living reasonable. For some it would be too humid--but I am on a big lake that gets any breeze around. No snow or ice and gently rolling hills. Think about driving when you are in your 70s--Colorado Springs does not look so attractive then. But to each their own. Just get out there and do it--retire to a new and better life.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I am reviving this seven and a half year old thread to show that some discussions in our Retirement Forum never die. I found the thread on the last page of the forum. Only one user name was familiar to me.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
at least health insurance worries are mostly a thing of the past thanks to the ACA

Old 11-09-2014, 05:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
at least health insurance worries are mostly a thing of the past thanks to the ACA
really? on what planet? or which state?

Have you seen the premium adjustments requested by ACA plans for 2015?
They are often 25% to 50%, some over 200% Same as the latest increase in your pension?

ACA subsidy is a 'tax credit'. Those of us retired without a pension / income don't pay taxes, and thus we don't need / can't use a 'tax credit' to reduce our taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement