Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 AM

46 posts, read 66,161 times

Advertisements

If you don't get a pension, how do you fund your retirement financial needs, other than Social Security?

The dividends and interest from Stocks, Bonds, ETF's and Mutual Funds

OR

Withdraw a certain percent of the money from your investment portfolio on a scheduled or needed basis.

OR

Another approach (Please explain!)

(I put this on the retirement board instead of the financial board because I want to hear only from retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM

106,758 posts, read 108,973,015 times
it is called systematic withdrawals and it has been the standard way to draw an income for decades.

the money is pulled either from all assets equally or you keep a few years worth of cash and then liquid bonds and equities to refill as needed.

trying to spend dividends or interest directly can make for an undependable income stream when rates are non existant and or dividends are slashed or suspended in downturns.

it really does not matter one bit if your growth comes from interest ,dividends or capital appreciation. it all amounts to the same thing.

your allocations ,risk tolerance and desire for slack in the plan will determine how much you can take .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,699 times
Funding retirement with dividends and interest while automatic and no effort usually means higher ordinary tax rates although "qualified dividends" such as those from equity dividend ETFs but not those from REIT ETFs have lower tax rates.

Using withdrawals by selling a portion of your assets such as broad market equity ETFs like the SPYs and QQQs requires more effort by doing the actually sell orders on a regular basis but if you just let the assets grow and are not a day or short term trader, those will have lower long term capital gains rates.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,932,953 times
So far our retirement is almost entirely funded by our company pensions (we are still too young to draw social security). We have managed to avoid touching our capital so dividends and interest have been reinvested.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM

in that case the pay check never really did stop. you are for all purpose still in the accumulation stages.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:16 PM

46 posts, read 66,161 times
If I sell stocks to fund my 4% systematic withdrawal I have to pay commissions and worry that the stock I picked to sell may have been on it's way up. If I fund my retirement through dividends then I just have the dividends transferred to my cash account to pay bills and I can forget about the stock market.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,654 times
I withdraw money as needed.

Don't usually need to, though.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Thinker View Post
If I sell stocks to fund my 4% systematic withdrawal I have to pay commissions and worry that the stock I picked to sell may have been on it's way up. If I fund my retirement through dividends then I just have the dividends transferred to my cash account to pay bills and I can forget about the stock market.
Do you send in 1/2 an electric bill if markets fall for a few years and dividends are cut?

If inflation kicks up and interest and dividends lag you would have to
sell stocks at a loss to make up shortfalls.

Most retirees keep a few years of withdrawals in safe money. Then dividends and interest is reinvested and can grow. Keep a few years in fixed income and you have money to replenish the safe money until stocks come back and you can refill at a gain.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So far our retirement is almost entirely funded by our company pensions (we are still too young to draw social security). We have managed to avoid touching our capital so dividends and interest have been reinvested.
You did read the bolded underlined words in the OP?

Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,672,004 times
We are withdrawing 1% from our 401ks every quarter, so the amount fluctuates. We keep approximately 2 1/2 years of withdrawals in short term bond funds, replenishing the withdrawal amounts as stocks reach our sell trigger. We did sell our Apple stock yesterday, so this quarter withdrawal will come from those proceeds instead of the short term bond funds.

I supplement the withdrawals with what I make trading in a taxable account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement