Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:35 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,415,611 times

Advertisements

I'm not there yet: am in the window where I should begin planning. It's a nutso world. Most of the job-related mergers, restructures, acquisitions etc. that affect us are outside of our control.

I'm thinking ahead to 66, my FRA. Assuming I'm still working, there seems to be no downside to filing and suspending, from another thread here on this forum. Therefore, I'll file and suspend. But I'm not sure that I'm completely clear about what that means. For example:

I'd continue working (assuming I still like what I do, etc.)

Since I'd still be working, even though I've filed and suspended, will my final benefit be higher? I assume that with continued employment, SS deductions have continued, and I have more months/years of creditable service towards SS.

If I'm kicked to the curb before FRA, I'd have to run the numbers to see if I could avoid living in van by the river, while waiting till I'm 66. The penalty for early SS is so severe that in my case - being single - I would jump through a lot of hoops to avoid collecting early.

Am I viewing my circumstances correctly? Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 03:59 AM

105,888 posts, read 107,840,851 times
file and suspend is done for two reasons.

if you have a spouse, which you said you don't who is going to collect off your record the only way they can collect is if you file . but if you want your own to grow while allowing them to collect off your record you file , the spouse files for spousal benefits and you suspend to let yours grow.

but what is not known is:

if a single you can still file and suspend . few know this but there is a big advantage to being single and doing a file and suspend . why do it if spousal benefits are not an issue ?

because if you file and suspend at fra and you plan to wait until 70 you will have the luxury of requesting a lump sum check retroactive at any age afterward going back to your fra.

so if your health takes a turn or you need a new roof you can request a check for what you didn't take and suspended since fra. you then have all future checks reduced to your fra amount but you get that lump sum.

if you do not file and suspend as a single you have no claim to be able to do that.

this is one aspect you never see mentioned as few know you can do that as a single.

remember- you heard it right here on city -data just by coming to this forum , because you will rarely see it mentioned .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-01-2015 at 04:10 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 AM

10,998 posts, read 9,632,795 times
Very interesting MJ. I could see someone having circumstances, like a bad diagnosis, or financial crisis like a lay-off, that would make it a very viable option. But it's one that has to be planned ahead for the possibility of needing it. Sort of like insurance.

But if you don't request that retroactive lump sum, you get the higher payment you would have if you had not filed and suspended?? Am I getting that right??

Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,415,611 times
MJ, thank you very much. I appreciate the info, and it is useful to every other single as well.

In sum, there is NO downside to filing and suspending! It affords the maximum flexibility - allows one to keep benefits growing while working beyond FRA, while providing the option of turning the benefit stream on, and collecting a retroactive lump sum benefit. Although, if you do elect the retroactive payment after filing and suspending, your payout remains forevermore at your FRA amount.

Thank you again.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 PM

you are very welcome.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Very interesting MJ. I could see someone having circumstances, like a bad diagnosis, or financial crisis like a lay-off, that would make it a very viable option. But it's one that has to be planned ahead for the possibility of needing it. Sort of like insurance.

But if you don't request that retroactive lump sum, you get the higher payment you would have if you had not filed and suspended?? Am I getting that right??
yep , it is a win win. you get the higher sum by waiting unless you request the retro amount.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:54 PM

3,573 posts, read 4,488,384 times
You can't file and suspend before FRA.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:11 PM

no that you cannot do.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:31 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,257,640 times
Don't forget to sign up for mrdicare part a at 65.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:35 PM

Actually better do it 3 months before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement