Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,923 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to retire in 1-2 yrs. Both of us will have SS and a state pension. We currently live in Cherry Valley, NY on a farm. We both would like to sell the farm and downsize. I'd like to go south because of the snow and cold but Hubbie would rather stay in NY because we have our vet, doctors, dentist, accountant, etc here (actually in the Saratoga Springs area).

Has anyone retired in NYS? Even though I would like to go south, the crime rate down there is amazingly high. Hubbie doesn't like the southern attitude and we have rescue dogs from the south that were abused. Even our horse came from the south through a rescue. He's upset about the attitude toward animals also. I tell him there are nice and crappy people everywhere.

I'm afraid that if we retire here that we won't be able to afford the property taxes. I like the Saratoga Springs area since we use to live near there, so if we do stay I'd like to go back.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times
Nys? I guess you are meaning New York City?

Last edited by brava4; 11-04-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 01:00 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
We did stat retirement in NYS, just 40 minutes SE of Saratoga, but became snowbirds,moving up fro 3 months to eventually 8.
I don't know how relevant our experience might be for you.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
The southern half of the US is a really big place. And it is impossible to generalize about it. Do you have any particular part of the "south" in mind? Robyn

Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,923 times
NYS is new York state; for us, up outside Albany.

We were thinking at first SC- the Greenville area, recently either Tennessee (the Knoxville area) or Florida (the St Augustine area.) Florida is getting expensive. I have family down there. I recently saw a house for sale in Florida and the taxes were $5000/ yr.! Plus the high cost of insurance: both house and auto.

Tennessee has high sales tax: up to 8.75% or 9.75%. Plus the housing seems a little higher since "everyone" is moving south.

Both Tennessee and "upstate" SC get snow and can get cold (I realize not like what we get here). So is it worth moving to less snow but still snow and cold? We now can leave our house open and we never take keys out of our car (unless we go to the "big" cities).

Checking sites like city data show that burglaries, auto thief, and thief are very high. We know people who go on vacation yet leave their house unlocked so neighbors or someone can get in if they need to.

Since seniors can be a criminal target, it does worry us. Any thought on this? Thanks

Old 11-04-2015, 01:50 PM

130 posts, read 134,539 times
Although your property taxes are high, you could sell and move to a smaller abode. And NYS doesn't tax SS or state pensions and there is no personal property tax. All things to keep in mind when considering moving to another state. What's that old saying? "The grass isn't always greener on the other side."

Perhaps these sites will help:

The 10 Worst States for Property Taxes | The Fiscal Times

States Moving Away From Taxes on Tangible Personal Property | Tax Foundation

Sales Tax Rates By State 2015 - Tax-Rates.org

Old 11-04-2015, 02:18 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
A few random thoughts and opinions.

First - for most people - things like property taxes will make a (much) bigger dent in your budget than sales taxes. Unless you really shop a whole lot (in most places - you don't pay sales tax on things like grocery store food - medications - most services - etc.). Income taxes can be a big factor too - depending on your income (with 2 state pensions - I don't think you'll be low income/poor). Florida has no state income tax.

One thing to look into is the nature of your medical insurance/coverage if it's part of your retirement package. And how good it is if you move out of state. People from New York talk about this from time to time on the JAX forum. There seem to be lots of plans - and they're all different. I don't pay attention to the particulars of the discussions (because I ain't got no dog in that fight).

I don't find property taxes that high in the St. Augustine area (where I live). Perhaps because I moved from Miami - where property taxes are about double what they are here. Another consideration when it comes to property taxes are there are some very low cost parts of the state - including many in the Panhandle. Just about all resident Florida homeowners qualify for a $50k homestead exemption on their houses when it comes to property taxes. So - if you have a house that isn't worth a whole lot - your property taxes can be very low.

I seriously dislike winter weather in the northern part of the SE - like the middle of NC where my late inlaws used to live. Because - instead of no snow - or snow - what you often wind up with is ice storms. Which are worse than snow storms IMO. The roads are 100% impossible in terms of driving - and the ice can bring down trees/power lines - causing power outages in the middle of the winter. Not the kind of thing I care to deal with at all.

In terms of crime - I have never lived in any place that is totally free of crime - especially "pretty crime" (except when it comes to the inside of high rise condos). I lock the doors (to the house and the car). Just as a matter of habit. Even people who live on farms can be targets of horrible crimes (read In Cold Blood). I wouldn't feel safe sleeping anywhere at night with unlocked doors. And leaving keys in cars is an open invitation to stupid kids everywhere to steal things - take cars for joy rides - etc. No matter where you wind up - especially in most reasonably safe places - taking these small precautions (locking houses and cars) will go a long way in terms of preventing your becoming a crime statistic.

My husband was bitten by an abused "junk yard dog" while running in Connecticut. Should I conclude that people up north are all animal abusers? Don't think so . Note that the number of animals you have (which you mentioned in your JAX forum question) may be a problem in many areas - even upstate New York - if you sell the farm and move from a rural to a more residential area. That is something you should definitely check out. Robyn

Old 11-04-2015, 02:23 PM

149 posts, read 145,280 times
I think NYS DOES get taxed on SS and pension.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:26 PM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
no , nys does not tax ss nor the first 20k of pension income if not federal ,state or local which is not taxed at all regardless of amount .

Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
In your shoes (and I kind of am, in your neighboring state), I would be inclined to stay put, see what NYS offers seniors for lowered property tax, and take a month every winter in Florida. You may not transplant well from our extreme 4 seasons and from all the services and friends you now have in place. If after doing a few years of a month down south, you'll better know whether you want to make it permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement