Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:15 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

We moved to Winston-Salem in the late 70's and loved it. We only moved to California because I was offered a better position.

It was a little bit of a culture shock, different from Pennsylvania, but once out neighbors figured out we were not from Mars things were ok ! I didn't find it any cheaper to live there, however.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 01:10 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
Hubby and I thinking about moving from rural upstate NY to North Carolina. We are retired; early-mid 60's. We would be selling our house here and looking for an apartment there. We've heard good things about Burlington and we like its size and location between Durham and Greensboro (both of which seem too big for us). Mainly we're looking for safe, clean, not TOO close to a big interstate, not noisy, and with a really good (spacious) kitchen, either 2 or 3 bedroom, nice amenities, washer/dryer IN apartment, pet friendly. Can you recommend an apartment complex that might be a good fit for us?

We have looked into purchasing in 55+ communities in other areas of the state but they look kind of stodgy, with too many restrictions and HOA fees and regulations, (and too many old people!) so I am thinking that a 55+ place might not be our cup of tea -- we don't want to get old before our time!

Can you help?
Clarifying, my questions are:
(1) Opinions on Burlington, NC
(2) opinions on 55+ places (especially in NC)

Thanks!

We moved from western PA to SC just over the border from Charlotte. SC has lower taxes, but I can tell you that overall we didn't save any money moving here. What was lower in basic property taxes was taken up by all the other taxes that they have....as does NC. You really need to do some checking on that so you aren't blindsided like we were. We found prices of other stuff higher as well, including food and water.

Concerning the 55+..........unfortunately I can't count the number of times I see people assuming this same thing when they have never even seen a 55+ community. They get it in their heads that this is what a 55+ or active adult community is like and hell or high water can't change their minds. We live in one and I can absolutely tell you that around here between all the clubs, sports, and many, many, many other activities I can probably safely say that this community is the most active in the area, including the family communities. People are on the go all the time, either having fun or volunteering somewhere, or just walking and visiting with neighbors. The activity center is full constantly, as are the tennis courts, bocce ball courts, pickleball courts, softball, golf course, walking trails, etc. etc. etc. There are well over 100 different clubs with more forming all the time. In fact I believe that people are staying young with all of it instead of growing old. It is just something that I can't begin to describe so that you understand that we are NOT a bunch of old people sitting on the front porch waiting to die!!!! Unless you actually visit for awhile to see it yourself, you have no idea what they are all about. Yes we have an HOA, but frankly that doesn't bother me. I came from an area where there was a section 8 house and another house where the parents got divorced and left the kid there to live (over 18). Both were a pigsty and when they sold them the new people had to bring in dumpsters to empty them. Go to some other areas and you have old cars parked in the driveways and on the land, trash piled up and much more. You don't see that in here, or any HOA. Yes there are some rules about what you can and can't do to your house, but personally I don't want to live next to a purple or turquoise painted house (yes, we had one of each of those up in PA as well). We have friends our own age because let's face it, any young neighbors will be too busy with their work and kids to bother with older people. If we want to go out to lunch with a large group, we can and it will cost less. We can avoid being out on the roads during rush hour, have relative peace and quiet, yet be able to get together and have a party when we want. And we do have some great, big celebrations in here. Had some big block parties, and each year we have a neighborhood spring party, fall party and holiday party.

You will get both opinions on here, but you have to go for yourselves and visit. I would suggest that you try to rent something for a few months (yes there are rentals here) and see if you like it. I can talk until I'm blue in the face, but actual experience is what you need. You may be right and they aren't for you, but don't let preconceived notions lock you out of something you might enjoy after all. Currently we are selling our house here and moving to another 55+ in Delaware to be closer to our daughter. At this point, and after our current experience, we wouldn't consider any other type of community.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Small, rural areas of the deep south are very closed areas. Unless you are moving to an area with other retirees from other areas, expect to be held at arms length by the locals.

Be prepared for questions like, "What is your family name?" "Where do you go to church?"

Also be prepared for very conservative politics.

I think you may be better served in a Charlotte or Raleigh suburb.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
Hubby and I thinking about moving from rural upstate NY to North Carolina. We are retired; early-mid 60's. We would be selling our house here and looking for an apartment there. We've heard good things about Burlington and we like its size and location between Durham and Greensboro (both of which seem too big for us). Mainly we're looking for safe, clean, not TOO close to a big interstate, not noisy, and with a really good (spacious) kitchen, either 2 or 3 bedroom, nice amenities, washer/dryer IN apartment, pet friendly. Can you recommend an apartment complex that might be a good fit for us?

We have looked into purchasing in 55+ communities in other areas of the state but they look kind of stodgy, with too many restrictions and HOA fees and regulations, (and too many old people!) so I am thinking that a 55+ place might not be our cup of tea -- we don't want to get old before our time!

Can you help?
Clarifying, my questions are:
(1) Opinions on Burlington, NC
(2) opinions on 55+ places (especially in NC)

Thanks!
Sorry, but I can't resist adding this in:
You might totally trip when you see North Carolina folks' driving if there's a teaspoonful of snow on a road!!
I visited there years ago, and that's one of my main memories.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Having lived in NC, I can't really endorse it. Be very careful before you land, but I think getting out of NY is probably a very good idea, tax wise and COL wise. We didn't like NC much but, if you're going to pick a spot, IMHO, the further west you go, the better, like Winston-Salem. If you're serious about that part of the country, I much prefered Tenn. Charlottesville VA was also very nice I thought.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:32 AM

293 posts, read 590,465 times
Default North Caroline

My brother lives in Elizabeth City NC,and told me he looking into Edenton NC.He said its a real nice retirement town,also voted tops in retirement too.Iam going to visit there to in April 2015.Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Can you expand upon this and the reasons why.....I'm interested to know how moving from the Northeast (with highest property taxes, insurance, etc.) to NC, SC, GA , FL would not dramatically lower costs of living.
Not all of the Northeast is "expensive" and many areas in the Interior Northeast have an overall COL around the national average. In retirement there may be a lower COL in the South, but in general, there isn't much of a difference except to how different areas come to that conclusion. Housing is a big factor in this.

Check this out: Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in
http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 PM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
We moved from western PA to SC just over the border from Charlotte. SC has lower taxes, but I can tell you that overall we didn't save any money moving here. What was lower in basic property taxes was taken up by all the other taxes that they have....as does NC. You really need to do some checking on that so you aren't blindsided like we were. We found prices of other stuff higher as well, including food and water.

Concerning the 55+..........unfortunately I can't count the number of times I see people assuming this same thing when they have never even seen a 55+ community. They get it in their heads that this is what a 55+ or active adult community is like and hell or high water can't change their minds. We live in one and I can absolutely tell you that around here between all the clubs, sports, and many, many, many other activities I can probably safely say that this community is the most active in the area, including the family communities. People are on the go all the time, either having fun or volunteering somewhere, or just walking and visiting with neighbors. The activity center is full constantly, as are the tennis courts, bocce ball courts, pickleball courts, softball, golf course, walking trails, etc. etc. etc. There are well over 100 different clubs with more forming all the time. In fact I believe that people are staying young with all of it instead of growing old. It is just something that I can't begin to describe so that you understand that we are NOT a bunch of old people sitting on the front porch waiting to die!!!! Unless you actually visit for awhile to see it yourself, you have no idea what they are all about. Yes we have an HOA, but frankly that doesn't bother me. I came from an area where there was a section 8 house and another house where the parents got divorced and left the kid there to live (over 18). Both were a pigsty and when they sold them the new people had to bring in dumpsters to empty them. Go to some other areas and you have old cars parked in the driveways and on the land, trash piled up and much more. You don't see that in here, or any HOA. Yes there are some rules about what you can and can't do to your house, but personally I don't want to live next to a purple or turquoise painted house (yes, we had one of each of those up in PA as well). We have friends our own age because let's face it, any young neighbors will be too busy with their work and kids to bother with older people. If we want to go out to lunch with a large group, we can and it will cost less. We can avoid being out on the roads during rush hour, have relative peace and quiet, yet be able to get together and have a party when we want. And we do have some great, big celebrations in here. Had some big block parties, and each year we have a neighborhood spring party, fall party and holiday party.

You will get both opinions on here, but you have to go for yourselves and visit. I would suggest that you try to rent something for a few months (yes there are rentals here) and see if you like it. I can talk until I'm blue in the face, but actual experience is what you need. You may be right and they aren't for you, but don't let preconceived notions lock you out of something you might enjoy after all. Currently we are selling our house here and moving to another 55+ in Delaware to be closer to our daughter. At this point, and after our current experience, we wouldn't consider any other type of community.
^This and Delaware is slept on in terms of retirement. Delaware coast is top-rated retirement destination in East - The Business Journals

Old 03-11-2015, 03:09 PM

37 posts, read 85,699 times
Thanks for all of your input. We are thinking now that we might want to look at New Bern. I might sound like I am flip-flopping, but we're just trying to be open to a variety of options!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:36 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
You may want to try a week in the summer to make sure you are OK with the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement